Help me create The Flash

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys,

I wanted to create the DC comics character, The Flash. He has to be 4th level and can only have one 6th level item and 840 gp to spend. Any source book is available. I made him a human monk, but that is not set in stone. Are there any suggestions on optimizing him for speed, shifting, avoiding attacks, or multi-attacking? He doesn't have to be the most optimized as long as he can do the things Flash can do. Thanks in advance.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
The Flash, level 4
Human, Monk
Monastic Tradition Option: Desert Wind
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Inherent Bonuses
Fists of Zuoken (+2 to Acrobatics)
Theme: Cipher

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 15, DEX 20, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 14, DEX 17, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

AC: 22 Fort: 17 Ref: 20 Will: 17
HP: 42 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Athletics +7, Endurance +9, Stealth +12, Thievery +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +1, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, History +1, Insight +4, Intimidate +2, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +1, Streetwise +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Monk Feature: Desert Wind Flurry of Blows
Monk Attack 1: Fallen Needle
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Monk Attack 1: Open the Gate of Battle
Monk Attack 1: Spinning Leopard Maneuver
Monk Utility 2: Swift Flight
Monk Attack 3: Wind Through the Willows

FEATS
Level 1: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 1: Unarmored Agility
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Fluid ki focus)
Level 4: Mark of Passage

ITEMS
Monk unarmed strike x1
Fluid ki focus x1
Boots of Free Movement x1
Robe of Avoidance Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
Potion of Healing
Potion of Elven Fleetness
Adventurer's Kit
Thieves' Tools
Footpads
Filter mask
Water Walk
====== End ======
Just a thought, but Eladrin have nice teleportation support, and there are several ways of exploiting it; items, powers, etc. Worth looking into.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Off the top of my head, Elf will give you a passive +1 to speed.
I was attemping to do the same thing. Never finalized my build, but here is the thread I made about it. I think I made a hybrid monk/battlemind. check it out.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
He doesn't have to be the most optimized as long as he can do the things Flash can do.

Just to be clear, what are some of those things? Flash is fast, but what else?
Lets see the Flash has speed and thats it I believe.

Ofcourse with his superspeed he can, in some comics, travel through time, walk on clouds, go to paralel universes and stuff like that, but no real other powers that I know of.
Ofcourse with his superspeed he can, in some comics, travel through time, walk on clouds, go to paralel universes and stuff like that, but no real other powers that I know of.

See, that's what I mean. I've also seen him move his arms really fast to create mini-tornado's, for example. OP, what do you think are 'some of the things the Flash can do'?

See, the problem is that this Flash is epic level.  You just can't really go full-blown super hero at level 4.

You can make a guy that's marginally faster/more mobile than his allies, but that's pretty much it for 4th level.  Most of the superhero aspect of this character is just going to have to be fluffed.

That being said, one other approach could be an Eladrin Knight taking the at-will teleporting options, blinking around the enemy and attacking from different sides.
Thanks for the responses guys.

As for what powers the Flash should have...I think, as was mentioned, at 4th level it will be tough to get him to do some of the really powerfull stuff he can do in the comics like pass through walls, go back in time, and creat tornados. But I could use some suggestions as to how to optimize him for movement, speed, shifting, avoiding attacks, multi-attacking, initiative. I made him a monk because the Flash doesnt use any weapons and just attacks with his fists. He has a decent initiative, can move his speed before combat even starts due to his Cipher theme, has a multi-attack burst to simulate spinning like a tornado, can shft plenty due to his monk powers, can shift as a minor action (and add +1 to his AC and Ref) when he hits due to his superior implement, can shift as a free action once per turn if he hits due to FoB, can shift once per encounter when he is missed, can add 1 to all his shifts due to his Mark of Passage, can move across all surfaces such as water due to his utility that lets him fly, can try to shrug off debilitating effects like slowed and immobilized due to his Boots, has pretty good defenses so he will be tough to hit, and has good athletics and acrobatics to jump around and tumble around.

I was just hoping for a critique of the build I posted to see if anyone had any suggestions for feats or powers that I might have missed and whether or not the build is viable as a mobile striker. I will be playing it tonight so I'll let you guys know.

@ Tech Priest: I thought about Eladrin and teleportation but I think that fits in with more of a Nightcrawler character.

@ Atuthaj: Great build with the Monk|Battlemind. I played around with it and tired to make him a striker|defender but it just doesn't work for my concept as he would have to stay adjacent to his target to get Mind Spike to work.

@ Svendj and Scatterbrained: Yeah, you're right about some of his powers having to be much higher level. But I think I have enough in my build to at least pull of a reasonable attempt at the Flash.

Thanks again for the advice guys!
I'd still consider adding a Staff of the Traveler on top of what you have.  Teleports are just a lot more versatile, and can easily be flavored as just running very fast.  Anyone can shift, after all.  The bigger issue is that teleport boosters are more common than shift boosters, so if you really want to specialize in mobility you need to eventually capitalize on that.
The EpicD 30 that lets you do a Ritual in 1 round.
Do a higher level teleportation circle -type ritual.

Weaponizing a Ritual (or something like it), used
teleport based trickery.  My google/search fu failed.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

He can also vibrate himself through walls, so I guess one phasing encounter power would suit him well. Maybe multiclass or hybrid avenger for one of those?
I'd just make him a Wizard, he's not much of a striker in the DC universe anyway, and Wizards even have a teleport-through-walls power.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
yeah, but a flash that's easy to hit and fights at range isn't really a flash at all is it?
You don't understand just how expansive the Wizard Class is currently, do you?
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
You don't understand just how expansive the Wizard Class is currently, do you?

guess not... enlighten me Smile. How would you make a non ranged hard to hit wizard flash?
The non-ranged is easy: Pick Close powers except for your Dailies, you can even pick Beast Switch as your At-Will as a single target melee power (Personally, I'd be planning for the long term and have the Shadar-Kai race to make Magic Missile into a MBA later, but that's me!). Start with Beguiling Strands and either Beast Switch or Breath of Night, Glorious Presence because you're fabulous, and I guess Arcane Whirlwind as the daily, then Call the Night Winds at 3rd.

Defenses: With the Staff of Defense Implement Mastery you get +1 AC and an Interrupt to add +Con to all defenses against one attack, with the Defensive Staff item, you get a further +1 Item bonus to all Defenses, with the Staff of Aversion in the off-hand for a conditional bonus, make them Guardian Staff's with the Superior Implement feat to gain +1 AC/Ref if you hit with an attack. Polish it off with the Unarmored Agility feat, and Improved Defenses. Hard choice between Hero's Armor, Veterans Armor, and Flowform Armor, I'd pick Heroes just because the defenses stack. Acrobats Boots, definitely. A regular cloak is fine for now, eventually upgraded to Cloak of Distortion in Paragon for obvious reasons. And normally I'd say "Shield as your Utility Power" because it's amazing, but we're going for Flash here, so Moonstride fits a lot better. Lets go with Dalelands Background for the Init boost, and the Spellscarred Harbinger Theme for a Minor Action invisibility (and later, option for teleport)

More fluff: Water Stride Cantrip lets you walk on Water, Chameleon's Mask for being sneaky, and Prestidigitation/Mage Hand for sleight of hand tricks.

So at level 4, with an array of 8/15/10/17/13/10 -> 8/16/12/20/13/10 at level 4
22 AC, 19 Fort, 20 Ref, 18 Will which is going to go up to 24/20/22/19 after any 1st turn (Aversion and Guardian's Staff) and another +2 All if you AP as well. This is well above Defender Standards. On top of this, you have an Encounter Interrupt to add +3 vs an attack, an Encounter Teleport that turns you Insubstantial, and an Encounter Reaction that lets you shift away and turn Insubstantial.