Argh, I think I'm done drafting Return to Ravnica

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
So after the second consecutive 1-2 (or more accurately, 0-2, because after losing the first two matches I quit in disgust) I think I am done drafting RtR. I know how to make strong Rakdos, Selensya and Izzet decks, but at this point the cards for those decks are not making it around to me. When I draft what appears to be open it is typically Azorius, but without the power uncommons that make Azorius appealing to play.

Like the last draft I did, I picked Stab Wound as the first pick out of a very weak pack, but a foil Detention Sphere was clearly the best P1P2 as were Azorius cards for the rest of the first pack. So I ended up getting a deck with all of the usual Azorius cards, Arresters, Sunspire Griffins, Vassal Souls, Hussar Patrols, Civic Saber and so forth in addition to 3 Ethereal Armors, the Detention Sphere, Knightly Valor and Security Blockade.

And proceed to lose badly to a Rakdos deck, with Auger Spree, Ultimate Price, Annihilating Fire, 2 Rix Maadi Guildmages as well as the usual Rakdos commons like Splatter Thugs, Gore-house Chainwalkers and Rakdos Shred-freaks

Next round I got paired up against an Azorius deck that was running multiple copies of Dramatic Rescue.

Golgari often looks open, but Golgari decks are often bad. This feels quite a bit like drafting the tail end of AVR, when everyone knew what the best deck was, it was always the same deck and even the best decks in the lightly drafted colors couldn't stand up to it. Here I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to draft a decent Selensya or Rakdos deck again.
I don't know why I even clicked the title of this thread, I knew what it would contain.

Yeah, sometimes you lose with good decks. If that makes you not want to play the game, don't.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
You will never stop drafting RtR. It will be 2076 and you will still be drafting RtR, rocking back and forth in a bathrobe, bathing in the soft, mocking glow of MTGO, a single string of drool spilling off your lower lip.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I don't know why I even clicked the title of this thread, I knew what it would contain.

Yeah, sometimes you lose with good decks. If that makes you not want to play the game, don't.

That's not the focus of the thread. The focus is that Selensya and Rakdos are rarely open in draft, and that the Golgari and Azorius decks do poorly even when they are open (at common). I can't believe I got suckered into thinking an evasion/ethereal armor deck would work.
Ive found similar situations where I draft and Ive spun it to my advantage. Ive found that about 2 or 3 people will draft owards the same deck consistently and its allowed my to dominate round 1 a couple of times, and also made me avoid going for etheral voltron unless I can get a rumbleback rhino.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Getting back to the issue at hand.

Assuming that your fellow drafters are drafting Selensya, Izzet and Rakdos, to the point they are almost never open, is it possible to make up a viable Golgari or Azorius deck that can beat those Rakdos, Izzet and Selensya decks? Because I have tried a number of times and failed to draft a strong Azorius deck, outside of the drafts were I've gotten the power Azorius uncommons (Lev Skynight, Skymark Roc, Arrest, Guildmage, etc). From the online statistics I have seen regarding the overall win rates of the various guilds, I'm starting to suspect it can't be done.
I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
From the online statistics I have seen regarding the overall win rates of the various guilds, I'm starting to suspect it can't be done.

Source?
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
From the online statistics I have seen regarding the overall win rates of the various guilds, I'm starting to suspect it can't be done.

Source?

probably his sample size of 20 games. 

Source?

The Ars Arcanum article, which lists Azorius as being the 3rd most popular guild, while having the lowest overall win rate. Then looking at the RtR card list and realizing what each other guild gets at common and uncommon vs Azorius. Rakdos gets Gorehouse Chainwalker, Stab Wound, Auger Spree, Anihilating Fire and Splatter Thug all at common. What does Azorius get as its top commons? Sunspire Griffin? Tostani's Judgement? Hussar Patrol? Azorius Arrester/Vassal Soul?

On the other hand, Azorius gets a lot of great uncommons, Skymark Roc, Lev Skyknight, Arrest, New Prav Guildmage, Azorius Justicar. Uncommons that are competitive with the best uncommons for the other guilds. So if they have the lowest win rate overall, and their strength is at uncommon, it seems unlikely a strong Azorius deck will exist without those uncommons.
"Oh no now everyone has learned how to play the format so I can't beat them every time"
I hate dogs.
This seems to happen with every format, I always do better at the beginning than the tail end, but it feels like everyone has figured our RtR very quickly, which closes off the Rakdos, Izzet and Selensya paths to victory. I didn't expect the format to be learned so fast.
So just to sum up, you don't want to play the format anymore because other people have gotten better at it so now you are on an even playing field?
This seems to happen with every format, I always do better at the beginning than the tail end, but it feels like everyone has figured our RtR very quickly, which closes off the Rakdos, Izzet and Selensya paths to victory. I didn't expect the format to be learned so fast.

To say "people are drafting RtR better, therefor you cannot win drafting Rakdos, Izzet, and Selesnya" (which is what I'm reading when you say "closes off the... paths to victory") is completely, entirely, mind-blowingly illogical. Every other person posting in this forum continues to win matches and drafts by drafting good decks. Regardless of guild. But I bet a lot of them draft Izzet, Rakdos, and Selesnya.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

To say "people are drafting RtR better, therefor you cannot win drafting Rakdos, Izzet, and Selesnya" (which is what I'm reading when you say "closes off the... paths to victory") is completely, entirely, mind-blowingly illogical. Every other person posting in this forum continues to win matches and drafts by drafting good decks. Regardless of guild. But I bet a lot of them draft Izzet, Rakdos, and Selesnya.

Well, to be fair bobus is the best player to ever play magic so if he can't consistently win then nobody can. In no way can he improve at magic so if God can't win then what's the point? 
This seems to happen with every format, I always do better at the beginning than the tail end,

I get this feeling a lot. I have a lot of drafting experience, but I don't practice any one format much, so I have good instincts, but those matter less once the format is learned. I think it may have happened so quickly just because RTR is so popular.

However, don't give up, play more and get better yourself. As I said, ADAPT.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:

Perhaps a less recent example would help. In AVR I looked at the card list prior to drafting and saw that GU looked like an incredibly strong combo, I confirmed that GU was winning a lot by reading tournament reports, and I spent a lot of times drafting GU early on and going 3-0 with it. Until other people also started drafting GU, to the point drafting GU was no longer a consistant path to victory. During this time I ended up going 2-1 quite a bit, by winning the first two rounds with a non-GU deck and then losing in the final round to a GU deck.

So for RtR the top winning decks are Selensya, and the majority of my early winning decks were Selensya, but in current drafts, even when I look to go Selensya from the beginning I get much weaker cards overall. Same for Rakdos and Izzet, even if they appear to be completely open in pack 1. The only guilds that stay open are Azorius and Golgari, but these are also guilds that do not consistantly win. 
This seems to happen with every format, I always do better at the beginning than the tail end,

I get this feeling a lot. I have a lot of drafting experience, but I don't practice any one format much, so I have good instincts, but those matter less once the format is learned. I think it may have happened so quickly just because RTR is so popular.

However, don't give up, play more and get better yourself. As I said, ADAPT.

I've never had a set I've gotten better at drafting vs the field as the set goes on. Occasionally I'll start a format, make a crucial discovery in the first week or so and get better than I was, but after the first three weeks it's always a decline. I can usually see what the strong cards and archetypes are going to be from the spoilers, and I keep drafting those cards and archetypes until everyone else starts drafting the same things and I can't do it reliably anymore. At that point I have to try to adapt and pick whatever is open, but the decks I end up with aren't nearly as strong as the ones before. And with RtR it's even harder to pick what is open because the best cards lock you into two colors instead of one, you are generally locked into two colors at the end of pack 1, where in most of the recent sets you could often get by locking yourself into only one.

Assuming that your fellow drafters are drafting Selensya, Izzet and Rakdos, to the point they are almost never open, is it possible to make up a viable Golgari or Azorius deck that can beat those Rakdos, Izzet and Selensya decks? Because I have tried a number of times and failed to draft a strong Azorius deck, outside of the drafts were I've gotten the power Azorius uncommons (Lev Skynight, Skymark Roc, Arrest, Guildmage, etc). From the online statistics I have seen regarding the overall win rates of the various guilds, I'm starting to suspect it can't be done.

The answer to that question is yes.

I made the finals of a Premier Release Event Top 8 with an Azorius deck splashing only for Teleportal, for example.

Sure, it's less likely that worse decks worse than that better ones do. But if you're the only one in Golgari, you can make it work. All you need to do is stay attentive and figure out how (and when) to do so.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

I made the finals of a Premier Release Event Top 8 with an Azorius deck splashing only for Teleportal, for example.

Sure, it's less likely that worse decks worse than that better ones do. But if you're the only one in Golgari, you can make it work. All you need to do is stay attentive and figure out how (and when) to do so.

You got in the finals with an Azorious deck that wasn't sporting at least 3 cards named Skymark Roc, Lev Skyknight, Arrest, and New Prav Guildmage?

You got in the finals with an Azorious deck that wasn't sporting at least 3 cards named Skymark Roc, Lev Skyknight, Arrest, and New Prav Guildmage?

It had a Skymark Roc and an Arrest and might have had a Skyknight too, I can't remember.

However, my deck was just an example. My general point is that "yes it is possible to draft Azorius so stop saying it isn't". Because no-one benefits from that.
It had a Skymark Roc and an Arrest and might have had a Skyknight too, I can't remember.

However, my deck was just an example. My general point is that "yes it is possible to draft Azorius so stop saying it isn't". Because no-one benefits from that.

If it's the one you posted earlier it also had Righteous Authority. 

I am saying that I haven't been able to get, nor have I seen a strong Azorius deck that had strong commons. Think about drafting the commons in this set. Are there any Azorius commons that really stand out? Most ofthen than not with Azorius you end up drafting a deck of Wind Drakes, with 3 CMC retroactive removal. Against opponents who get cards like Centaur Healer, Centaur's HeraldDead Reveler and Splatter Thug at their 3 CMC slots to bludgeon you with.
The strongest Azorius commons are probably Voidwielder, Ethereal Armor, Swift Justice, Azorius Arrester and Hussar Patrol most of which fit in an aggressive deck. Vassal Soul, Tower Drake and Sunspire Griffin are all solid in a fliers deck.
The strongest Azorius commons are probably Voidwielder, Ethereal Armor, Swift Justice, Azorius Arrester and Hussar Patrol most of which fit in an aggressive deck. Vassal Soul, Tower Drake and Sunspire Griffin are all solid in a fliers deck.

Well let's see now, those 5 go 8th, 9th, 10th, 5th and 7th on average which does confirm my suspicion that Azorius is generally open. While the flyers go 6th, 8th and 6th. By contrast my favorite Rakdos and Selensya commons all fall in the 4th-5th pick slots which is where the strongest commons fall. The earliest picked common is Stab Wound which is picked 3.63 overall.
Voidwielder is imminently first-pickable.

Also, I left out Frostburn Weird. He's great in Azorius too.

Mist Raven was first pickable, Voidwielder not so much. Any card that goes 8th pick on average is by definition not first pickable, but even if it went sooner than that it would be hard to justify a defensive Aether Adept, that costs 5 CMC to play as your first pick. The cards I would first pick for Azorius all reside at uncommon or higher.

I see that LSV likes it as the best solid blue common, but man that list is remarkably poor, Isperia's Skywatch comes in at #2.

Mist Raven was first pickable, Voidwielder not so much. Any card that goes 8th pick on average is by definition not first pickable, but even if it went sooner than that it would be hard to justify a defensive Aether Adept, that costs 5 CMC to play as your first pick. The cards I would first pick for Azorius all reside at uncommon or higher.

I see that LSV likes it as the best solid blue common, but man that list is remarkably poor, Isperia's Skywatch comes in at #2.

Did you read Matthew's article on PureMTGO where he talks about Voidwielder? How often have you actually played Voidwielder?

I took Martial Law over Voidwielder Pack 1 Pick 2 last night and was squirming about it. I think the pick was right, but only barely (considering my first-pick was a Frostburn Weird).
Why are we even discussing this? What is the problem exaclty? If you have no faith in W/U then stop drafting it. If you think you have RTR draft figured out then draft the guild you think is best. I don't see what the problem is.

Are you upset that other people want to play the same guild as you? I just don't understand the thought-process of some of you guys for draft.

Open the pack, pick a card. Look at the next stack, pick a card, etc. etc.

Make a deck with these picks.

This isn't rocket science and the Magic gods aren't trying to screw you man.

When I arrive to open my packs I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what deck I want to play. After the first pack I often still don't know.

Stop worrying so much.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
www.channelfireball.com/articles/feature...

read it...you'll learn something
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
No. No. No, he won't.

Did you read Matthew's article on PureMTGO where he talks about Voidwielder? How often have you actually played Voidwielder?

I took Martial Law over Voidwielder Pack 1 Pick 2 last night and was squirming about it. I think the pick was right, but only barely (considering my first-pick was a Frostburn Weird).

Sure, I've played Voidwielder, I told you that the guild that's been most open in my recent drafts was Azorius, right? It worked about as well as I expected. The times where it got rid of counters or a beneficial enchantment on my opponent's side (or a Stab Wound on mine) it was very good, ocassionally it works for tempo or for an air alpha-strike, most of the time it is a combination unsummon and 1/4 wall. 

Why are we even discussing this? What is the problem exaclty? If you have no faith in W/U then stop drafting it. If you think you have RTR draft figured out then draft the guild you think is best. I don't see what the problem is.

Are you upset that other people want to play the same guild as you? I just don't understand the thought-process of some of you guys for draft.

When I arrive to open my packs I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what deck I want to play. After the first pack I often still don't know.

Stop worrying so much.

I think the main problem with the open a pack, pick a card strategy is that in this set there are only 5 buckets that your deck can fall into, while in previous sets it is typically 9 or 10 (often there is one color combo that flat out doesn't work, but the rest of them do) I don't think this is a set where you can reliably win not knowing what you'll play after pack 1. I know I can win with Selensya consistantly, but the other drafters are drafting it heavily now. I know I can win with anything that includes multiple copies of Stab Wound, but I'm not seeing multiple copies anymore. I know I can win with an Izzet deck that includes a Frostburn Weird base, but again, I'm not seeing those. Or the Rix Maadi Guildmages, Bloodfray Giants and Hellhole Flailers to make mid-range Rakdos work.
www.channelfireball.com/articles/feature... read it...you'll learn something

No. No. No, he won't.

Yeah, I'm sorry, that's all stuff I already knew about the format.

The first main point is something that I understood from reading the spoilers. The second point I would replace the text '4/4' with '3/x and x/4' but otherwise I agree with it. The third point I didn't see at the beginning of the format, but saw within the first week or so. The fourth point is something that is generally true across formats, not just in RtR. As for his rankings of the guilds in control based decks, I agree with his rankings. Selensya is ironically the best guild for control while simultaneously being tied with Rakdos for the best aggro. Golgari is fantastic for control if you can get Stab Wounds, which Nakamura mentions. And so on down the line.

I don't completely agree with his list of top 5 commons, I would likely have Splatter Thug and Centaur Healer/Herald in mine but all of his would all at least make my top 10.

My issue with the format isn't knowing what the top decks / strategies are, my issue is drafting those decks at the point everyone else knows them as well. And the trouble with trying to adapt and be flexible in regards to what other people are drafting when you are typically set into a guild by the end of pack 1.

Stop worrying so much.

I think the main problem with the open a pack, pick a card strategy is that in this set there are only 5 buckets that your deck can fall into, while in previous sets it is typically 9 or 10 (often there is one color combo that flat out doesn't work, but the rest of them do) I don't think this is a set where you can reliably win not knowing what you'll play after pack 1. I know I can win with Selensya consistantly, but the other drafters are drafting it heavily now. I know I can win with anything that includes multiple copies of Stab Wound, but I'm not seeing multiple copies anymore. I know I can win with an Izzet deck that includes a Frostburn Weird base, but again, I'm not seeing those. Or the Rix Maadi Guildmages, Bloodfray Giants and Hellhole Flailers to make mid-range Rakdos work.

I guess it's time to figure out how to win without being passed ridiculous cards, then. Ouch, things just got harder. What a shame.
Since when did hoping for strong commons/uncommons become unresonable? :-p

I know that in every set everyone ends up going after the same cards, I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly in this one.

I know that in every set everyone ends up going after the same cards, I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly in this one.

Actually I doubt you and I would pick many of the same cards.

Because variance... 

Hoping is one thing. Relying is another thing.

Also, I've been getting pretty desirable cards late even in my last couple of drafts (which I've crushed - I'm on a streak!).
Well I decided to try again and this time I got a great Selensya deck. Well, great might be overstating it a bit, but I did get all of the commons that typically go into a good Selensya deck, Sunspire Griffins, Centaur Healers, Centaur Heralds, Selensya Gates, Knightly Valor, Tostani's Judgement, Amory Guard, Giant Growth and so forth.

Game 1 I lose to keeping a 4 land hand and hitting lands in my following draws, such that I end the game with 10 lands and 5 spells total. Game 2 I get my opponent to 8, while I'm at 26. The game stalls with what eventually becomes an ungodly number of critters on each side. Each turn I'm hoping to draw my Rogue's Passage or Golgari Decoy (the only two cards in my deck that can break through the blockade) and my opponent is milling me with a Doorkeeper so I know I need to draw one of them soon. Then my opponent casts an Overloaded Cyclonic Rift. Sigh.

At least I won the other 2 matches.
Well I decided to try again and this time I got a great Selensya deck. Well, great might be overstating it a bit, but I did get all of the commons that typically go into a good Selensya deck, Sunspire Griffins, Centaur Healers, Centaur Heralds, Selensya Gates, Knightly Valor, Tostani's Judgement, Amory Guard, Giant Growth and so forth.

Game 1 I lose to keeping a 4 land hand and hitting lands in my following draws, such that I end the game with 10 lands and 5 spells total. Game 2 I get my opponent to 8, while I'm at 26. The game stalls with what eventually becomes an ungodly number of critters on each side. Each turn I'm hoping to draw my Rogue's Passage or Golgari Decoy (the only two cards in my deck that can break through the blockade) and my opponent is milling me with a Doorkeeper so I know I need to draw one of them soon. Then my opponent casts an Overloaded Cyclonic Rift. Sigh.

At least I won the other 2 matches.

Way to go!