How old were you when you started play? Why did you start playing?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
What age were you when you started playing Magic, and why did you start playing?
Bored out of your mind and looking for some entertainment? I've got you covered: http://ferrisbuellersnewkidney.blogspot.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/NintenDani7184
I started when I was 9, as something to do with the people I knew.
14 or 15... someone handed me a starter deck.

3DH4LIF3

I was like 10 or 11.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
18. I saw a Revised rulebooklet and read through it. Seemed interesting, and I was already a huge tabletop gaming nerd. Flash forward 18 years and I'm still playing.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

About 10. My brother played. although I started buying cards when I was 8.
Happened for me much the same way as Escef, only about a year later. I was 25 years old, it was about a week before 4th edition dropped, my friends picked up the game and said you gotta check this out. So I took home the Revised rulebook, and here I still am, 17 years later...
I think I played my first game roughly five years ago at 33 years of age. A co-worker and friend of mine was a former player at the time, and wanted to get back into the game, so he persuaded me to try it out. I played only with his decks at first, then borrowed some of his unused cards to try building my own, and eventually took the plunge and started buying my own cards.
I was ten. Pokemon was at the period that Haymaker beat everything but another haymaker. I played a little until Invasion blew me away. Good times.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
13, had been playing Yu-gi-oh prior. Then I got to highschool and there was a Magic club some of my friends went to. Learned how to play and never looked back.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Eyehunter and sage62, people like you are the reason why I avoided trash talking Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. Because I know that if Magic is going to survive it needs new players. So why pre-emptively chase people away from my hobby? So I can make sure it dies? Screw that noise.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Eyehunter and sage62, people like you are the reason why I avoided trash talking Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. Because I know that if Magic is going to survive it needs new players. So why pre-emptively chase people away from my hobby? So I can make sure it dies? Screw that noise.

Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
What age were you when you started playing Magic, and why did you start playing?

I started playing after the release of Avacyn Restored as my friends got me into it. I loved the whole idea of the creatures and spells. The more i played it, the more i wanted to play it even more  
20 something, when Revised just came out. At that time, MtG was new to everyone.
I bought some packs of Revised when I was 8. I saw them at the comic shop and I was like "MAGIC cards?" Still have my Earthquake, Lightning Bolt and Royal Assassin from these packs.

Started playing proper once I convinced my friends to buy some packs too. This was about when Mirage dropped. Played in a big way through high school. Been playing on and off since, but I always end up coming back. Game is just too good. With the discovery of EDH I'm right back into the game again, feels like a whole new experience and challenge again.

I have never played competitively, and finally feel like I want to take the plunge. Planning to hit FNM drafts and developing a standard deck. 
It was in like, '98 so I must have been around 12. I remember my friends at school kept trying to get me into it, they had split the colors between them and wanted me to play white, I didn't and went and bought a G/R mercadian masques premade deck and played with made up rules for a while until they tought me how to play.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I first "played" Magic when I was four years old. My older brother and I got some Portal starter decks, the ones that have the cards in a specific order and come with turn-by-turn instructions on playing your first game. I highly doubt I had much of a concept at all of what I was doing, but that was when I was first introduced to the game. I played the game on-and-off with some mild interest for years, and then really got into it around Ravnica, so I guess I was thirteen then.

I'm not sure how to describe why I really got into it around Ravnica. Magic's just sort of always been around in my life. I think what happened was my grandma bought me a Ravnica fat pack, which led to me convincing a friend to play, which led to rules disputes, which led to me finding these wonderful* forums and the daily articles.

Yeah, that's right, nine years of playing the game didn't get me into it, but a few weeks of reading about it did. I guess what enthralled me was realizing that the game was so much bigger than the tiny collection of cards I had.

*Well, there are certainly some wonderful people here. The forums themselves, though... don't exactly fill me with wonder.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I 1st played my freshman or sophomore year of high school...so 1999 or 2000.  There were 4 of us at our table in art class, and we always had our projects done days ahead of everyone else.  The other guys were really into it, and they'd bring 4 or 5 decks and they taught me how to play so we wouldn't be bored when we had down time.  I vaguely remember liking a Goblin Grenade deck and a green fatties deck.  It wasn't an addiction back then.  A few years ago i decided to get back into Mtg as a gift to myself.  It was around the time Scars of Mirrodin was coming out.  I wonder how much cash i'd have laying around today if i hadn't had that brilliant idea...haha.    
13, had been playing Yu-gi-oh prior. Then I got to highschool and there was a Magic club some of my friends went to. Learned how to play and never looked back.

Pretty much this, except I was 15. I'm now 17, will have been playing for 2 years come May.

I was in 7th grade and in the gifted learning class. Every other Friday the teacher would let us do whatever we wanted as long as we were either learning or teaching each other something. A few of the kids demonstrated how far above the curve they really were by choosing to play Magic during this time. After seeing one game I had them teach me to play. At 30 years old the rest is history.

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
during the last month of summer vacation (last august) and i'm 16. I know a lot of people that play it and on a good weekend we can get 8 people playing. I started out with the app and was either going to get the online version or actual cards...i decided to get cards. my first cards were the 2013 Mob Rule intro deck

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
3 years ago, when 5-colors and Jund was a thing.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Around 10 years ago, shortly after I started high school - Onslaught block was just starting.  I got into it because I enjoy the deck-building aspect of the game.

My EDH decks:

Erebos ()

Damia ()

Ghave ()

Sliver Overlord ()

I was 9 and yeh I liked stuff like I still do now.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Something like 8 years ago in 5th grade (So I guess I would've been 11 or so. Dang, it seems like less time) due to a series of poor decisions on my part.

Also: Stuck with it because of all the articles on MagicTheGathering.com combined with gatherer. I was considering which game to get started with and Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon don't offer anywhere near the same resources, at least they didn't on their official websites. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
When I was 14 or 15 during Revised, Collectable cards you could play a game with AND it's fantasy flavored... sign me up!
I was 26.  The Dark had just been released.  This guy I worked and played D&D with got me into it.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
I was 6. My grandparents taught me how to play, though I obviously didn't really have a grip on it for a couple years, I just thought the cards looked cool.

That was back in 1996, and aside from a hiatus or two, I've been in it since then, and now I'm 22 (today, actually).
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I was 6. My grandparents taught me how to play, though I obviously didn't really have a grip on it for a couple years, I just thought the cards looked cool.

That was back in 1996, and aside from a hiatus or two, I've been in it since then, and now I'm 22 (today, actually).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO!

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
When I was about 21 or 22, just a few years ago honestly, I honestly forget, I just learned to play in the lobby of my college with some guys. I got my first cards from a guy that was just throwing his away, which became my first 60 card deck that was five colors that included things like Stone rain, zodiac monkey. ephemeron, arcbound hybrid, and an aether vial, and it would take me a whole year to find out that that was actually worth something and noone had a clue.
I was 9. I think either Mercadian Masques or Invasion block was the new, cool thing. A 13-year-old boy decided to teach me the game after he told me about it while my mother was taking the two of us to the premiere night of the first Harry Potter movie. My grasp on the English language was, at the time, not too great, but I was able to pick up the game mechanics and the important words and phrases. Plenty of card names like Reveille Squad where I had to ask either the older boy or my parents about the meaning. I was disappointed to learn that Kavu was a made-up word, as I thought Kavus were really cool at the time.

My first theme deck was Pandemonium from Apocalypse. This was a terrible, terrible beginner's deck. Why? Well, first of all, I had to hide the two copies of Exotic Curse from my conservative parents. And secondly, it was a five-colour deck. Seriously. This was a terrible thing to base a theme deck around. It took me years and years to stop building decks by just smashing all my coolest cards together into one big mess. It was fun, though.
I was 18 (Revised was out, and Fallen Empires was new and shiny).  My friends all came back from the first semester of college and told us about this great new game we had to try.  My first game a friend handed me a deck and stood behind me telling me what to do. 
Around 1997.  Give or take a year.  Made some friends and they introduced it to me.  Would always borrow a deck.  I ended up getting the deck as a present later on.

Also, I really wish I did not think $10 is too much to pay for any card, especially a dual land, and $40 is too much to pay for a mox.
... Unfortunately we're still a couple years short for this joke to completely work, but...

It was twenty years ago today when Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)

I missed playing Card Games. I don't really enoy yugioh and every other card game tends to die quickly, so I went with the one that has been around long enough to ensure it won't vanish tomorrow.
Well, first of all, I had to hide the two copies of Exotic Curse from my conservative parents.

I feel you man, my mom almost sequestrated all my cards when she saw Warrior's Honor .

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
7th grade (12 yrs old). I got started during Invasion, and the first set to be released was Odyssey!

Fun times!

My first card was Belbe's Percher lol...
Can you smell what the Rhox is cookin?
I first got interested when I was 12, started when I was 13 one year later when someone got me a 5th edition starter.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

At 11, it was the Ice Age and I played a litte with my cousin's and friends' cards. At 13, Tempest's storyline turned me into a fan and I started to get my own cards.
[<o>]
Sign In to post comments