My Blue/Black Mill "Perfect Insanity"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all,

I am working on this deck of mine I am about to post for you. I was wanting to know what the commuinty thinks of it! Any sugestions would be greatly appricated! Whelp, without further due, here it is!

EDIT   Blue "Perfect Insanity"

22x IslandS
--------------22 lands----------------

4x Drowner Initiate
4x Jace's Phantasm
4x Hedron Crab
 --------------12 creatures------------
4x CounterSpell
4x Deprive
4x Mind Sculpt
2x Increasing Confusion
2x Traumatize or Archive Trap
3x Tome Scour
4x Ensnaring Bridge
3x Sanity Grinding
---------------26 spells-----------------

"I don't do tactics. I don't do guard duty. I do damage. Take it or leave it." "Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead" -Jaya Ballard, task mage "The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ." Keldon soldier "Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."
A long while ago, there was a competitive deck called "Twin Sanity" that milled huge chunks of peoples decks out by playing Twincast targeting their own Sanity Grinding.  The deck had a lot of blue spells with 2 or more Blue mana symbols in all spells it ran, plus they had Howling Mine and Overbeing of Myth to help draw into everything.  Overbeing besides being a huge boon for Sanity Grinding, acted as a Plan B.

Going U/B Is strong, but it weakens Sanity Grinding, at that point Glimpse the Unthinkable is just better.

I've always liked Sadistic Sacrament paired up with Mind Funeral in mill.  Turn 3 Sacrament out 3 lands, then hit them with a turn 4 Funeral.

I'd cut a Traumatize for Haunting Echoes.  If they built their deck for optimum consistancy, Echoes will rip apart their deck just as well as Traumatize.  Traumatize is only really amazing once (the first time you use it), after that it's just diminishing returns.  Echoes is really good after they have a full 'yard.  The 2 play well together.  Turn 5 Traumatize into turn 6 Echoes is usually GG for me because the only thing usually left in their deck at that point is basic land.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
agree on sanity grinding, as is you mill ca 6,8 cards with it - not so great tbh.

on average your spells mill for 3 cards pr card so you need to survive 6-10 turns before you can kill opponent, i think you will find yourself a little light on defense

archive trap is a good mill spell

imo you have to choose between agro or control with mill, you cant do both anymore than you can expect to win with a mix of lightning bolts and counterspells - agro-control needs effective combat creatures that can serve as defense as well as offense, such is not available - or not good enough, in mill.

for control,mill is a decent wincon

for agro, mill is 1-2 turns slower than the fastest agro decks.

edit: nemesis of reason and geralf's mindcrusher dont suck tho, not for combat either.
riddlekeeper also. Throw in hedron crab and sword of body and mind + a ton of control and there might actually be a decent agro-control deck. but these cards are decent at combat, not good and in the end the strategy is like all out agromill - a slower, worse version of a nonmill deck.

perhaps a better option is a fairly aggresive mill deck utilizing some of those masscontrol enchantments and/or artifacts like ensnaring bridge. using those you can survive on 12 control cards vs most decks, leaving you cards enough for an offense.
I like the bridge and I wanted glimpse over the Sanity grinding but lacked those 4 cards. I have the bridges on hand. I have basic control in the deck between counters and royal assassin. But assassin can be easily handled. Thank you for all the considerations I am muleing them all over in my head.

I am iffy on the creatures being put in this deck acts pretty fast and can overwhelm fast and hard before you get the threats into you hands.
"I don't do tactics. I don't do guard duty. I do damage. Take it or leave it." "Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead" -Jaya Ballard, task mage "The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ." Keldon soldier "Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."
I could easily cut out my Assassins and replace them for something else, just not sure of what with the cards I have on hand. I could take out sanity griding and go 4 Mind funeral and then do 2 Ensnaring bridge or do the Sacrament combo with mind. I would like to keep the creature replacement fast and have it have good utility with the deck as well. a few things to consider
The problem I have always had with my mill decks is that yes, I mill away at my opponents deck and they still manage to drop my life to 0. You may want to look at creatures that will assist you and be able to soak up attacks. I like Jace's Phantasm because if you are doing a good job at milling, you have yourself a 5/5 flier for 1 blue. Evil Twin isn't mill, but can work as removal of your opponents creatures and letting you have a copy of one of theirs. The old Dimir cards are nice too. Dimir Infiltrator is unblockable and you can also use it to search for a Glimpse the Unthinkable. Circu, Dimir Lobotomist takes the milling a step further by actually removing cards from their library, then not allowing to cast non-land cards of the same name. The Dimir guildleader Szadek, Lord of Secrets has a hefty mana cost but can grow immensely and his damage is pure mill. As for spells, I like Increasing Confusion as it doubles with flashback. Perplex isnt so much as mill as a difficult decision for your opponent and you can use it to search for Mind Funeral. As for life gain, there is Psychic Drain that gives you precious life and takes out some of the opponents library. Decimator Web, Trepanation Blade, and Keening Stone are useful artifacts. I use a Grafdigger's Cage to keep pesky graveyard loving decks from taking advantage of the growing graveyard. Hope this helps and sorry its so long
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">its going to take more than 2 bridges imo.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">i'd get a full playset of bridge and propaganda
 maybe throw in a meekstone or two

add to that 4-8 counterspells and you should be fairly set. this still leaves you with half your deck as offense (and/or draw). since you'll likely spend your first few turns setting up defense you can up traumatize to 3 or 4 making it that much more likely to end the game t6
Thank you Candy, I forgot about some of those cards. I will def take what you said into consideration and I may use the bridges we shall see I will work with my deck and re-edit it in a bit.

So many ideas and thank you all for the help.
Alright guys thank you so much for all the help. As we can see I revistited the deck and changed it to Mono Blue and tooks out some cards. It still plays fast. Any more suggestions to this would also be greatly appricated.

I am always looking for more ideas.
The other blue cards from my deck are Chancellor of the Spires, Belltower Sphinx, Merfolk Mesmerist, Jace's Erasure, Curse of the Bloody Tome, Visions of Beyond, and Jace Beleren. There are so many mill type cards out there good luck!

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
if you replace one of your spells (tome scour) with sanity grinding you now mill an average of 8.9 cards which is decent.

jace's phantasm is less useful when youre playing bridges

and visions of beyond definitely needs to go in there    

ty all again I have a lot to consider and what I dont use will go into the side board 
I honestly thought of dropping the phantasm and adding 4 more mills card and only running 8 creatures specially since I am running bridge now.  like curse of the bloody tome or cronic flooding