Does anyone still use tapping stones?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Back when I used to play, everyone in my group used tapping stones. So this last weekend, I go to the card shop and play a game or two. Everyone's turning the cards to the side to tap them. I do it too, until I get too annoyed at the cards sliding around on the table; I reach over into my dice bag, and pull out the old tapping stones (colored glass pebbles), set them on the table above my stack of land.

"What are those?" asks my opponent.
"Tapping stones," I explain, and demonstrate, moving the tapping stones down the land stack, one card per tapped land. "You okay with me using them?"
"I've... never seen those before. Sure." One or two other people look on with curiosity. I did notice nobody else in the shop uses them at all.

Does anybody play with them? Was it just a local thing, or did everyone stop using them at some point a few years back? I can understand not allowing them in tournaments- they can make it tougher to see how much land each player has untapped. But I find it just makes untapping things so much faster and easier.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I've never heard of them, but that's just me.  I'd think, though, that they'd get a little confusing if you're running a deck that has other ways to put counters onto cards.
Possibly- I think there weren't as many sources of counters when I used to play. Generally, creatures get physically tapped, tapping stones are for lands. Counters on creatures are dice.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
It seems to me that most of the counters way back were to denote color changes and not boosts.
You're not crazy this was absolutely standard back in the day. No self-respecting Magic player would show up to the cardshop without the tapping stones. If you turned your cards sideways it was sort of frowned upon and eyebrows were definitely raised. I went on hiatus for many years and after I returned I noticed that these phased out as well.

We should bring them back!
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Just did some reading up on official tournament rules. Section 3.8 allows markers... but section 3.13 states that permanents must be physically rotated if they're tapped or flipped, so that would preclude the use of tapping stones. I don't know if this is a change from previous rules, or when it happened, the tournament rules only have revisions made from the last two versions listed. I'll see if I can do some digging, just for personal curiosity.

I assume it was done for the reason I mentioned above- it can potentially be confusing if tapping stones are used instead of physically tapping the card. And that was likely why they were phased out of casual use as well; if you're used to playing with them, it's disconcerting to not have them anymore when you're at a tournament.

Still, I agree- we should try and bring them back. They're much faster, and less strain on the wrist, too.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
as long as both players are clear about the gamestate you can basically do whatever you want
the tournament rules just mention conventions, so it can be done without much explaining and so that there is a default to fall back to

if you want to use the tapping stone ask your opponent
if he agrees you can use it
proud member of the 2011 community team
I've found more success at stacking lands of the same type in a row (kinda like enchanting) and untapping an entire stack at a time, but whatever works for you
I've found more success at stacking lands of the same type in a row (kinda like enchanting) and untapping an entire stack at a time, but whatever works for you

For multicolor decks, I'd be pulling lands out of those rows constantly as I cast spells. Plus I don't have a play mat, so the cards tend to slide a bit on the table whenever I move them. If I'm playing more than one color, I definately prefer tapping stones. And they can double as whatever unique counter I may need, in a pinch. Besides, for the nervous types, they clink together with a much more pleasing sound than card riffling. Plus, -ooo- shiny!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I realize this is subjective, but I really like to see both land and creatures to be tapped clearly and by something reasonably close to 90°. Stones for me means counters. I would definitely not like to see the same stones used both to indicate tapping and to be used as counters at the same time.