Should the Wiki stick to what's 4E or not?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So in the most recent Dragon Magazine, the lines between 2E and 4E have been blurred, with the Great Wheel and Yggsdrasil and Gods from Real World Mythologies being mentioned. As I move forward with the Wiki, hopefully keeping a full digest of what was Points of Light, and the Axis cosmology, should I specifically avoid anything that smells too much of Planescape? Or should I just treat anything in the magazines as canon?
So in the most recent Dragon Magazine, the lines between 2E and 4E have been blurred, with the Great Wheel and Yggsdrasil and Gods from Real World Mythologies being mentioned. As I move forward with the Wiki, hopefully keeping a full digest of what was Points of Light, and the Axis cosmology, should I specifically avoid anything that smells too much of Planescape? Or should I just treat anything in the magazines as canon?

I'd almost say it's "optional canon" because it's specifically drawing from 1997's Planescape more so than even the Great Wheel form from 1e D&D. I think it speaks to the cosmos beyond the cosmos in a sense, and pulls from more "real world" mythology. There's info that could be used to flesh out points of light in some sense, but in others, I'd say this article would have as much bearing on the Points of Light setting as say Forgotten Realms might. It may have some influence on it, but you're still dealing with a different Pantheon. Keep in mind that technically Dark Sun's mythos isn't really compatible with either FR or PoL. Not so sure about Eberron...

The Thri-Kreen's succsesful activation of the sigil sequence led to a blasting light white before his faceted eyes as the sudden burst subsided and his eyesight regained he before a female figure composed of all Beasts, covered in fur, scales, horns, and antenna, on the peak of a celestial mountain. In a commanding voice she declared "I AM MELOREA QUEEN OF ALL BEASTS TELL ME CHITINOUS ONE WHY HAVE YOU COME?"

The Thri-Kreen shocked said, "On Athas we had heard all the Gods had died?"

Embaressed, Melora shakenly said "Oh right, Athas . . . . no, we're not dead, we just TOTALLY forgot about that place. Totally our bad. So sorry. How are things there? Still covered in those beautiful jungles?" 
Personally, I think the wiki should remain 4E as it would appear that the Nentir Vale is not going to be updated for Next.

As for recent Dragon magazine blurring the lines between 2E and 4E, I think that was a mistake. It's clear that 4E is viewed as the red-headed stepchild so there are no fans to be won trying to make it seem more like earlier editions at this point in time. 
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
I think if the World Axis cosmology means anything at all, it needs to represent the gods and planes of the Nentir Vale and the Fallen Lands. Now is the World Axis the "real" structure of the multiverse, or does it merely represent the remains of a previous cosmology damaged and pulled down during the Dawn War (similar to what happened to the Forgotten Realms during the Spellplague) but with no active endeavor to repair it? Are many of the gods of the Fallen Lands incarnations of the same god archetypes that exist in other worlds, split apart almost like divine franchises--like McDonalds, but with Loloth or Bane? I think it's likely that there are genuine planar mysteries that underlie the World Axis cosmology that would be fun to explore--but I think all of that gets wrecked if you just wipe the board clean and reboot the Fallen Lands with some new cosmology. That's damaging to the setting, not to mention getting rid of all these fun areas of inquiry. I figure if Eberron and Dark Sun get to be oddballs with their own unusual cosmologies, the Fallen Lands has at least as much of a right to keep the World Axis.
Now with 100% more Vorthos!

Personally I just try and ignore anything and everything form 4e if at all possible as if it never happened. I am running 5th addition as a fresh start.

Wait, there's a Nentir Vale wiki? May I please have the link?

Moonshadow50 wrote:

Personally I just try and ignore anything and everything form 4e if at all possible as if it never happened. I am running 5th addition as a fresh start.

Well, normally I'd consider that a legitimate remark, but seeing as all the Nentir Vale material out there is 4e, I can only assume that this is trying to start an argument - Something that, as we are civilized, human beings, I doubt would happen.

Sign In to post comments