warlords.in fiction

So everyone uses captain america, and I have seen King Arthur throw around. However there is still this thought that warlords.do not have an archtype enough to warrent it's own class.
I used Babylon 5 Captain John Sheraden in one post.
Nate from Leverage also seams to me to show in more social circles, he is called a mastermind in the show.
It seams to me I can easly enough pull more comic examples, but in books and legend might have more weight. Odyssas is a smart warrior know more for quick thinking and wits then str of arms. He also leads a force.
Can anyone else help me add a list of characters to this, so far I have focuesd on the tacticle, maybe some insireing are needed.

Real life joan of arch and General Washington...

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Sun Tzu...

The thing with the warlord concept, it is usually tied to "characters" that were pretty good with a sword too.  Historically, a good leader needed to be a decent warrior, at least from a literary standpoint.  Finding a good fantasy warlord that is a "pure" warlord is difficult at the very least.  

Having said that, I do think that the warlord has a place.  It represents an alternative to a more brutish version of a warrior.  I don't know if it warrants a whole class, but it wouldn't upset me.    
What about Croaker in the Black Company?
What about Croaker in the Black Company?

Certainly .. the companies history caller and surgeon.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

And de facto commander for a while...
now name a "warlord" who is at the very beginning of their career, effectively "first level." Oh look, you can't, because the archetype doesn't make any damned sense for 1st level.
now name a "warlord" who is at the very beginning of their career, effectively "first level." Oh look, you can't, because the archetype doesn't make any damned sense for 1st level.

Laurana Kanan from Dragonlance.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!

Again call the Druid/Cleric an initiate at level 1... call the Paladin a squire.. no we do not we call them by what they become.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Druids were an entire class of people, including initiates, and you could get knighted at birth. Moreover, neither are DDN classes, yet. So, no examples?
dribble

Paladins were squires who became knights.. and Priests start as Initiates.. a 1e character wasnt called class name till 9th level. 

Druids were an entire class of people, including initiates, and you could get knighted at birth. Moreover, neither are DDN classes, yet. So, no examples?

Perrin Abra and Mat Calhoun from the Wheel of TIme (and even Rand Al'Thor to a lesser extent) Three country boys with a natural gift of leadership. 
Sokka was never a great fighter but generally had a decent plan. He didn't actually get the sword skills till late in the show. I'd say he'd constitute a level 1 warlord in the first episode.

Alexander the Great took the throne of Macedonia at the age of 20.  He also conquered the known world...
Joan of Arc...  Young, not trained, a leader...
Catti-brie; she may have had a right up as a fighter in some edition, but in the books she was definately a warlord, an archer warlord, but a warlord nonetheless... Even from the very beginning...
Jet Li's character in the movie The Warlords. He starts the movie at his lowest point, with nothing to his name but his skills as a tactician. 
It's been stated before, King Arthur.  Under the popular stories, he wasn't necessarily a fully trained warrior when he pulled the sword from the stone...  Many would argue that he's a fighter; however, a good case could be made for him being a warlord.  The name Pendragon in some translation means warlord.  More common translations mean leader...
Odysseus... Archer warlord. 

Jet Li's character in the movie The Warlords. He starts the movie at his lowest point, with nothing to his name but his skills as a tactician. 

Nice example.. 

ooooh, oooh!

Karal from the Mage Storms books would probably be this (as he doesn't have clericy powers but is a pretty darn good at inspiring people and figuring things out even stuff he only vaguelly understands (for example he gets the mages to work with the scientists in plotting the effects of Mage Storms.)
Augustus Caeser was considered an outstanding stragetist at a young age...
 Perrin Abra and Mat Calhoun from the Wheel of TIme (and even Rand Al'Thor to a lesser extent) Three country boys with a natural gift of leadership. 

Matt being the uber tactician via reincarnational memories.. and seems a rendering of a Mixture of Loki and Odin the spear bearer.

Rhand al Thor, has Arthur in his background.

Non-fiction (Game of Thrones), the Imp was pretty good at just having picking up combat.  Not necessarily young, however, I would put his warlord level pretty low at the start of the series...  At least the TV series.

Then you had Rob Stark, and others of varying effectiveness... 
Ferdinand the Great experienced some victories at a relatively young age...
Did we mention Alexander the Great

Yeah, but I think it bears repeating.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!

Took throne at age twenty... and virtually the world over the course of the next 10 years

Took throne at age twenty... and virtually the world over the course of the next 10 years

Yeah, stated near the top of page #2... 
I don't understand why people act like the warlord represents anything new in fiction or myth. The lack of a good warlord type has been one of DnD's most obvious failures up till 4e.
Firefly... at minimum Malcom
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Reynolds

I bet I am repeating 

Oh, look, a string of excellent replies and suddenly the Troll is gone!

Well done team!

Maybe he'll go and seagull on another thread.

Personally I think that the Wheel of Time and Real World examples are the best. 

Lucius Vorenus from the HBO series Rome

Cpl. Dwayne Hicks from Aliens (Michael Biehn!)

John Connor from Terminator

Lots of “managers” from Pro wrestling

Splinter from TMNT

Firefly... at minimum Malcom
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Reynolds

I bet I am repeating 

Nope.  Not this time...

John Connor from Terminator 

Oh slick one that.. the boy John Connor is a resourceful warlord build.. bang.

I think splinter is more along the lines of a monk than a warlord, leo is the more warlordy guy in the turtle shows.
I think splinter is more along the lines of a monk than a warlord, leo is the more warlordy guy in the turtle shows.

I can agree with that.  Leo was definitely the on the field leader.
Fair enough about Splinter. How about Rick Grimes from Walking Dead?
That's a good example, Rick's role in the series is to keep the group together...he lead by example, he don't let himself fall into dispair, because he know that it would lead the rest of the group to also fall into dispair
I would mention Roran Stronghammer from the Eragon books if anyone cared to read those. Granted, he is a very strong warrior, but his superiors price his ability to lead by cunning and example above all else. I do believe he's a perfect example. He also leads by sheer talent, inspiration, and ingenuity not formal training.

Someone needs to just list all of these. I'd do it but I work in under 6 hours. Sleep time must come.