Tenser's Floating Disc Ritual - A.K.A. - my magic flying carpet

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can I use this ritual as a floating carpet. It says I can use my move action to move the disc, and it says it can hold anything I lay upon it up to a certain weight?  So if i stand on it and then give it a move action I should be able to float on it around.

Also, can you chose to pull your punch with area effects that target all creatures in a zone. Say I hit 3 baddies and 2 allies with an area attack, can I chose not to deal damage to my allies even if they are hit? 

browngsp@gmail.com

may name is George.  I am looking to join a group in Portland area.  I am an experienced player and DM.  I have been playing 4E D&D regulary since 2008. and other versions most of my life.  please email me if you need a new player.  thanks,  g

To the first, yes you can do that.

To the second, no.  If your power says it targets all creatures in the burst/blast, then it targets all of them.  There are a number of feats and PP features that help you with this, though, such as War Wizardry which gives you a -5 when attacking your allies.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
To the first, yes you can do that.

To the second, no.  If your power says it targets all creatures in the burst/blast, then it targets all of them.  There are a number of feats and PP features that help you with this, though, such as War Wizardry which gives you a -5 when attacking your allies.

^ I second that. For both of them. 

My warlock was a lazy character, so he never walked anywhere. He just floated around on the disc. You CANNOT use it to fly, but you can float. You could technically avoid difficult terrain or hazerdous terrain this way, but your DM may have issue with this. I just used it to float around. At one point I was sick with spell plague and it was my magic floating wheelchair. One of the top rituals in the game IMO. 
You could technically avoid difficult terrain or hazerdous terrain this way, but your DM may have issue with this.

Technically its the opposite actually, you could not bypass Terrain because Tenser's Floating Disc doesn't say so and because ''floating'' has no defined ability to ignore Terrain like Flying does but the DM may not have issue with this if you'd attempt it.

Terrain: Terrain on the ground does not affect a flying creature if the terrain isn’t tall enough to reach it. Because of this rule, flying creatures can easily bypass typical difficult terrain, such as a patch of ice on the ground. Aerial terrain (see below) can affect flying creatures. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

You don't need a defined ability to ignore terrain if you're not interacting with that terrain.  Your argument is like saying that there may be difficult terrain in the square adjacent to you, and because you don't have an ability that says that you aren't affected by difficult terrain adjacent to you then you're affected by it.

I get that you're trying to pin the distinction on flying/floating, but the logic itself is weak.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
If there is tall grass or dense foliage that is Difficult Terrain, wether you walk or float 1 foot above the ground won't make you move faster.

Exception Based Designed. Flying exceptionally say it ignore Difficult Terrain. All other movement form not specifically saying so do not ignore Difficult Terrain. I don't see anything arguable here.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Terrain, like everything else (unless specified) is 3d and occupies the space, just because the ground is covered in ice and counts as difficult terrain doesn't mean that using Tenser's Floating Disk gets to ignore it, because nothing says so.

This is mostly because Rituals are briefly described and entirely intended for the non-mechanically defined effects to be up to the DM. ie. Expect Table Variation, Ask your Dm.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
The simple handwave being that TFD, despite the name, actually walks around on hundreds of tiny invisible feet, and is therefore affected by difficult terrain.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The simple handwave being that TFD, despite the name, actually walks around on hundreds of tiny invisible feet, and is therefore affected by difficult terrain.

Oh i like that one :P

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Terrain, like everything else (unless specified) is 3d and occupies the space, just because the ground is covered in ice and counts as difficult terrain doesn't mean that using Tenser's Floating Disk gets to ignore it, because nothing says so.

The flying creature rules disagree with you.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
A specific rule entry that mentions a specific exception in an exception-based rules system would disagree with me ... if we were talking about something related to that specific rule entry. We aren't.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Ok I have a new twist for the TFD question. My friend wants to use the TFD to float on but wants to build a container that he can place on the disc and climb inside. The container would have slots for seeing and holes for his wand to cast from. So he basically wants a floating tank to ride into battle with. I have aggreed that riding the disc is no problem. Placing objects on it is no problem. My issue is can he control it while inside this container? If so how much control would he have? And finally how would I workout hitting him and damage. The object would take damage and be destroyed allowing him to be hit possible at the same time its destroyed. But what about hitting him inside the object. Like a called shot from A D&D rules?
The rules don't really cover this so it will be up to you.

Such bunker could grant him Superior Cover, functioning similarly to Arrow Slit Terrain (RC 303)

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Somewhere on these forums is a build with a Gnome Shaman in a box.  That topic covers all of the intricacies of using such a cheesy tactic.  :P