Will D&DN bards get the "Gangnam Style"-maneuver?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

SRSLY!
don't they already have that in 4e?

The accustic version?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

SRSLY!

Which would be ... what, exactly?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
If there's a higher power anywhere in this multiverse....no.
It's magical bard's dance of course! Wearing magical sunglasses and a suit (even in dungeons) is a requirement as well.
If it can be done in the Elderscrolls it can be done in D&D. Wont be core though
If any player brings that to my table my response will be...

get out... 
Halloooooooo thine sexy ladae!
My two copper.
No fun allowed.

No fun allowed.

EVERY DAY IS HORRIBLE POST DAY ON THE D&D FORUMS. Everything makes me ANGRY (ESPECIALLY you, reader)
Player: As we enter the dungeon my bard starts playing gangnam style while his hireling backup dancers do the dance...

DM: ok, you magically awaken and attract every monster within a 100 mile radius...

Player: Are they enjoying my dance?

DM: No, but the late comers are enjoying the show as you and your minions are ripped to shreds by the first responders. 
I wouldn't even bother to use monsters to kill a character who tried that.

Rocks fall.  Everyone dies.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
Everyone died in my example, it just wasn't via rocks, same effect though...
Everyone died in my example, it just wasn't via rocks, same effect though...

The difference is that, in your example, the DM at least pretended that it was an in-game consequence of in-game actions.

I would not bother with such a pretense.  The character just dies.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
"Your character is trampled by a horde of angry Jar Jars.  Gungan style."
Salla... you sadden me.

I would allow it in some games, and others not. If I'm going for a more serious narrative I prefer to have fewer pop culture references and jokes. Some games? Well... some day I should tell you about the legends of the hidden temple...
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
It already exist. It's called Otto's irresistible dance .

This.

Danny

Salla... you sadden me. I would allow it in some games, and others not. If I'm going for a more serious narrative I prefer to have fewer pop culture references and jokes. Some games? Well... some day I should tell you about the legends of the hidden temple...

Dude, I was just making a pun.  Take a chillaxative.
Best thread in a long time!
I would prefer to see this as a build, but I realise most players want this to be the main theme for bards.

wait... 
It already exist. It's called Otto's irresistible dance .

Inspired by Celtic Myth.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Wizards get  the 

Miniature

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

You know, I see this alot in Bollywood flicks...

However, to clarify, are we talking about the power to make people dance to a song...
Make an otherwise plain individual the source of pretty girl's attention...
The ability to make piles of money...
The ability to deal psychic damage?
I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
I think people are calling for the ability to pull off a suit and sunglasses combo while dancing on an imaginary horse.

Any other effects are besides the point. 
I gonna put a Psy inspired pirate in my playtest game.

Predicted rounds of survival: 3

EDIT: Though core in my setting is a trio of elf bard modelled after Run DMC. One is undead as a tribute to Jam Master Jay.
They team up with Hobgoblin Aeosmith and force PCs to WALK THIS WAY!... off cliffs.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Man, if a player wanted to do this I'd take it and run. It'd be farging hilarious.

To make it mainstream though? Hmm.. probably not.

My only issue with Gangnam Style is that it is obvious power creep, completely overshadowing the Macarena and Electric Slide.

The Tootsie Roll still reigns supreme, though. 

Danny

My only issue with Gangnam Style is that it is obvious power creep, completely overshadowing the Macarena and Electric Slide.

The Tootsie Roll still reigns supreme, though. 

Whatever man, they said the same thing when they were doing The Twist.

I counter your gangnam style with a time warp.
"Let's do the Time Warp again."

I'm too old to do Gangnam. Now, the Village People are clearly a D&D party, and if there isn't a suitable build for the Bard, with lots of magical medallions, I'm going to be very angry make my own up. D.I.S.C.O. forever!

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead. Playing: Legendof Five Rings, The One Ring, Fate Core. Planning: Lords in the Eastern Marches, Runequest in Glorantha. 

Oh god, it just hit me - the bard with the warlord theme would have to be mandatory.
Oh god, it just hit me - the bard with the warlord theme would have to be mandatory.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

This topic make me miss my bard, Joaquin. He was a Micheal Jackson Expy.

Moonwalking out of melee.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Wait...

When a bard uses Otto's Irresistable Dance on a bunch of undead, do they do the Thriller dance?