11/13/2012 RC: "Look Ma, No Creatures!"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Matt Bina's deck is a work of art. A Slumbering Dragon/Call to the Kindred deck? Now that's Izzet ingenuity!
Matt Bina's deck is a work of art. A Slumbering Dragon/Call to the Kindred deck? Now that's Izzet ingenuity!

I came to this thread to say exactly this. It is the most awesome deck I've seen submitted to this column yet.

I so want to build it and play with it now. (even though I know Call to the Kindred is very wacky as I experienced with my zombies kindred deck).

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Didn't change the deck much this week... guess you didn't have to. Epic Spiral is a cool idea even though I still like the Increasing Devotion version Travis Woo made.

Yay for my deck being listed this week, though I don't think I spelt my own name wrong in the email I sent you... 
what's common to all the Izzet decks ? Almost no use of the guild keyword at all...

I came to this thread to say exactly this. It is the most awesome deck I've seen submitted to this column yet.

I so want to build it and play with it now. (even though I know Call to the Kindred is very wacky as I experienced with my zombies kindred deck).

Didn't change the deck much this week... guess you didn't have to. Epic Spiral is a cool idea even though I still like the Increasing Devotion version Travis Woo made.

Yay for my deck being listed this week, though I don't think I spelt my own name wrong in the email I sent you... 

You 2 exactly give the reasons why i would have liked to see a take on the dragon deck.

Anyway
I think this deck (the Gavin Verhey's Experiment one) can run 1 or 2 more Lighthouse]Lighthouses. I was a little worried about the removal, thought it was to light on it, but when i started counting: 4 Mizzium Mortars, 4 Izzet Charm and 4 Devastation Tide it is actually pretty good on removing creatures.
For the sideboard i think Syncopate and/or Dissipate are solid choices, and Pillar of Flame or Annihilating Fire in case zombies turn out to be a pain in the #ss.

I did love to see a column on pauper by the way, but that might be just me.
I realize the theme is Izzet so that naturally limits the deck to two colors but EE is a deck that strongly wants to go 5 color.  Ironically enough it's an all spell deck where the instant and sorcery count is almost entirely non red/blue.  If you want to play Epic Experiment but want it to be able to stand up to aggro (no, 4 Mizzium Mortars will not stop an aggro deck from killing you on turn 4-5) try this list: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... it's had even more success than Travis Woo's.  I've gone 4-0 at FNM with it 2 weeks in a row now and my worst matchup is about a 55%-60% win rate in testing, though it's not that easy to play properly.

Really, I wish Gavin picked a deck this week that actually wants to be Red and Blue because Epic Experiment wants to try it's hardest to be everything but Red and Blue despite the colors of it's namesake card.
are flashback costs considered off color?
Cool decks. I still think that some variant of the Dig Dig Boom thing is the one for me, but the experiment deck-out idea is cool. QUESTION. If you flip two Psychic Spiral off the same Epic Experiment, do they both count the graveyard at that time, or does only the one resolve? Seeing as how you can only shuffle your graveyard into your deck once and stuff...
I want to be Cultured.
Cool decks. I still think that some variant of the Dig Dig Boom thing is the one for me, but the experiment deck-out idea is cool. QUESTION. If you flip two Psychic Spiral off the same Epic Experiment, do they both count the graveyard at that time, or does only the one resolve? Seeing as how you can only shuffle your graveyard into your deck once and stuff...

simple: cast one at the beginning of all the casts. Then cast one after all the others. The first one to resolve will shuffle your yard away, then the second will shuffle all the cards you cast off epic experiment.
I love the ideas in the also-ran decks. Captain of the Mists + Dual Casting + Thatcher Revolt! Hypersonic Dragon letting you cast Worldfire with a ping for 1 on the stack! Ghostly Flicker on Gilded Lotus and Archaeomancer with Talrand, Guttersnipe or Electromancer out! Dragons with Call to the Kindred! Muhahahaha!

The main Epic Experiment deck looks pretty cool too, although it does seem somewhat dependent on getting a turn 3-4 Miracled Tide to stay alive.
The Epic Experiment deck is really crying out for some rituals (one-shot mana acceleration like Seething Song). Are there really none in Standard? Shouldn't Rakdos (the original and the current color that gets rituals) have gotten one? Maybe Gruul will have some? Or maybe one will show up in Dragon's Maze?
The Epic Experiment deck is really crying out for some rituals (one-shot mana acceleration like Seething Song). Are there really none in Standard? Shouldn't Rakdos (the original and the current color that gets rituals) have gotten one? Maybe Gruul will have some? Or maybe one will show up in Dragon's Maze?

The only mana rituals in Standard right now are Battle Hymn and Infernal Plunge, both of which are useless in a creatureless deck.
Any ideas for a SB for this deck? I'm probably gonna play it at fnm and I don't want to get steamrolled by aggro decks.