Acrobatics and Scuttle

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi

I have a question regarding Acrobatics command card and Scuttle ability.
The card says that a creature ignores difficult terrain.
What about Scuttle ability printed on creature cards,
does it allow to ignore difficult terrain?

killercroc
I think that the scuttle ability on a creature card doesn't allow you to move freely through difficult terrain.  It seems to only allow you to run past your enemies, if you are not adjacent to them at the start of your turn.   However, if you play a order card that allows your character to shift six spaces, then you can move six spaces from an opponent that you are adjacent to.
Truthspeaker is right.

Acrobatics has to mention the ignoring difficult terrain part seperately as it is not in the normal scuttle rules.
truthspeaker, i thought that all movement was reduced to 1 if you started moving adjacent to an enemy?
truthspeaker, i thought that all movement was reduced to 1 if you started moving adjacent to an enemy?

The rule on this is very confusing.  However, there is some clarification in an example below to rule.  The example called 'shifting and sliding' says, "If the Drow Assassin shifts it can move to the other side of the Dwarf Cleric without stopping."  And the example clearly shows the drow continuting to move after he has already entered a space next to the dwarf.  If you would like to me to elaborate on why my interpretation of the rule is sound, I am willing. 
Some movement rules that should help clarify:

1) When moving, a creature can move up to its speed.

2) A creature that starts adjacent to an enemy only has a speed of 1 regardless of any modifiers.

3) When a creature enters a square adjacent to an enemy they must stop in that square.

4) Difficult (triangle), Obstacle (square) and Damaging (spike) terrain takes one extra movement point to move into.

5) A creature with Scuttle (Shift), Flying or Burrow can ignore 3.

6) A creature with Flying or Burrow can also ignore 4. However they are still hurt by damaging terrain if they end their movement there.

7) Using an order card that has "move its speed" on a creature still follows 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

8) Using an order card that has "shift its speed" on a creature still follows 2, 4, 5 and 6.

9) Using an order card that has "shift X squares" ignores 2 and 3.

10) A creature with Scuttle (Shift), Flying or Burrow can choose to use that movement any time they move of their own choice, but do not automatically use it when forced to move.

11) Using an order card that has "slide enemy creature X squares" ignores 2, 3, 5 and 6.

Hopefully this helps.
Thank you, gentlemen.

However, Argemon, #9 is the one that confuses me. I must be overlooking the rule and I apologize. How does playing an order card for shifting x squares ignore the rule of movement being reduced to 1 when starting adjacent to an enemy no matter the modifiers?
Don't worry mate: it is easy to miss. It is in the rulebook, just not stated completely clearly.

I refer you to page 11:

Shift:
... If it starts its movement adjacent to an enemy, it can move up to the number of squares stated by the effect (however, its speed is still 1 for the purpose of effects that state "shift its speed"). ...

For example: playing Shadowy Ambush on a creature next to an enemy still allows it to shift 2 squares before the attack because it says a number of squares instead of your speed. A better example would be Spring Attack: Shift 6, Attack, Shift 6. If you were to use that on a melee fighter and still have to observe the speed 1 rule, the creature would get no benefit from the second shift 6. As it is however even a melee creature can use both shifts fully regardless of where they start or who they are adjacent to.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough when I said no matter the modifiers: by that i mean if you attach Loping Stride to a creature (+2 movement) or are using Aliszandra Malistros (+2 to the speed of all Drow / Spiders). In both of those cases (and any future simmilar situations) the creature's speed is still 1 when starting adjacent to an enemy. Order card that state a movement rate are not counted as modifiers as they are "One-Shot" abilities. You play them, resolve their effects, discard them. Whereas the two situations above are in permanent effect once activated: Loping Stride by playing it on a creature, and Aliszandra's effect by deploying a Drow or a Spider.