How to Get Chromatic Lantern Banned

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
With this:

Potential {mana} - You may cast this creature for its Potential cost. If you do, add {mana} to your mana pool.

Some examples.

Fallen Imp  
Creature - Demon

Potential
Haste

1/1

Large Shield Gladiator
Creature - Human

Potential
Vigilance

1/4

--

Fiendish Plant
Creature - Demon

Potential
Whenever ~ blocks a creature with toughness equal to or lower than its power, it can block again during the same battlephase.

3/3

--

Charged Abomination
Creature - Undead

Potential
Infect
When Charged Abomination dies, proliferate.

4/1

--

Entropomancer
Creature - Human Wizard

Potential
: Target instant or sorcery that requires a target changes its target randomly.
During your draw phase, you may place one card from your hand in your library, shuffle, then draw 1 card.

4/6

--

Dragon of the Justicar
Creature - Dragon

Potential
Flying
: Return target creature that dealt damage this turn to its owner's hand.
: Detain target permanent.

3/3
Defining potential is going to be tricky.

As written artifacts that I could sacrifice for mana count towards it. And I don't have to sacrifice them.

Seems like it'd be better to just require a certain set of basic land types; Would be significantly harder to meet, but then you are giving the card away for free.

Of course, that wouldn't break Chromatic Lantern... 
Defining potential is going to be tricky.

As written artifacts that I could sacrifice for mana count towards it. And I don't have to sacrifice them.

I was thinking more on the lines of - sacrifice for mana, then you can cast this but the mana is not gone. Or like if you have 6 creatures and use Battle Hymn you can cast the dragon for freezies, but not if it stays in your hand.

Seems like it'd be better to just require a certain set of basic land types; Would be significantly harder to meet, but then you are giving the card away for free.

Of course, that wouldn't break Chromatic Lantern... 

Yep. Also, it'd be slow.
No, wait! I know exactly how to word it. Check the OP.
Yeah, that works fine. You spend the mana, and then get it right back. I quite like it; it's not quite free, but it's close (if you can spend the mana usefully on something else then it is free) and it's not broken-in-half like the Free mechanic was. 

It's a mechanic to be careful with, but would be very cool to play with :-). 
It would definitely be fun to play with. Right after Chromatic Lantern is banned, that is.
Potential {mana} - You may cast this creature for its Potential cost. If you do, gain {mana}.

Should be

Potential {mana} - You may cast this creature for its Potential cost. If you do, add {mana} to your mana pool.

"gains mana" currently has no meaning with respect to MtG rules, unless I'm missing something. 

It goes without saying, of course, that this would be almost hilariously busted with storm. 
So, wait, let me get this straight. The Potential mechanic just adds mana to your mana pool equal to what you paid for the creature? So you basically got it for free, just so you have mana to cast other things.

I really don't get it's purpose, unless it's MEANT to be in a storm centric, or an aggro centric environment where windmill slamming your hand on the table is the key to victory.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it reminds me of priest of urabrask.
Actually, this very well balanced in comparison to the Urza free mechanic, as it requires you to cast/pay the potential cost before getting free mana back.

Why is this a big deal? Well, let's ask Mr. Whale and Mr. Nightmare!
Actually, this very well balanced in comparison to the Urza free mechanic, as it requires you to cast/pay the potential cost before getting free mana back.

Why is this a big deal? Well, let's ask Mr. Whale and Mr. Nightmare!

it also makes you use it immediately, and can't be used with lands that make multiple mana to generate mana.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

@TRM: thanks, fixed.

Yeah, the free mechanic was pretty cheese. This is much more sane. 
Entropomancer
Creature - Human Wizard

Potential
: Target instant or sorcery that requires a target changes its target randomly.
During your draw phase, you may place one card from your hand in your library, shuffle, then draw 1 card.

4/6

I think this would be better worded as:

"At the beginning of your draw step, you may put a card from your hand on top of your library. If you do, shuffle your library, then draw a card."

The target change ability also needs reworking, but I'm not sure how to do it without having a bunch of "target"s in the ability, which could cause some serious confusion. Case in point:

": Change the target of target instant or sorcery spell with a single target to a random target."

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Sorcery
Potential .

Artifact Creature
Potential .
4/4

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Whoah, Lantern of Insight seems powerful.
Whoah, Lantern of Insight seems powerful.

It's not a miracle, but it warns you about one.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I take it back, it's not what I thought. Revealed dosn't mean you can play it.