No "Protection from Evil" item?

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
3.5 core, give-or-take...

Am I suddenly having a brain fart, or missing something?  How many times? have we watched a movie, and he/she says, whilst putting the necklace around the child's neck, "Wear this, my grandmother gave it to me, it will protect you from evil..."

Why can I suddenly not think of or find some such item that has the effect of the first level spell?  Is it a case where it's deemed too powerful, like the infamous silliness of a "ring of true strike"?

Mayhaps I just need some sleep. 
You may need some sleep (and so do I) but it is another case of being "too strong" to put in a ring.  Look at all the immunities it gives in addition to the +2 AC.  Mage Armor or Shield are two more things that could be great as "always on" magic items that break incorrectly used pricing formulas.

3.5 core, give-or-take...

Am I suddenly having a brain fart, or missing something?  How many times? have we watched a movie, and he/she says, whilst putting the necklace around the child's neck, "Wear this, my grandmother gave it to me, it will protect you from evil..."

Why can I suddenly not think of or find some such item that has the effect of the first level spell?  Is it a case where it's deemed too powerful, like the infamous silliness of a "ring of true strike"?

Mayhaps I just need some sleep. 

I don't think it would be unbalanced, but I think the reason is that most items were conceived first and then reverse engineered back to the spell.

In this case there are already Rings of Protection that give a +2 Deflection Bonus to AC, and Shield of Faith is better for this since it can give +3, +4, and +5 AC rings as well, whereas the protection from evil would only be a +2.

I don't think it would be a broken item, it doesn't stack with the other AC items with Deflection bonuses or Cloak of Resistance, so it isn't broken.

The difficulty is determining the cost, since it has bonuses to AC, Saves, prevents charms and compulsion and completely blocks the natural attacks of summoned creatures.

I think it fits because of people commonly wearing talisman to ward off evil, wearing a holy symbol etc.

I would make it a necklace with a holy symbol of a deity of the opposing allignment it protects from (a good diety for a protection vs evil) so there would be 4 different versions.

I would price it as having multiple different abilities (it replicates 2 different items), The AC (2 squared x 2,000) 8,000 plus the saves (2 squared x 1000 x 1.5) 8,000 Plus other effect (spell level 1 x Caster level 1 x 2000 x 1.5) 3,000 totals 19,000

it is vs evil (or law, good, chaos) only so you can cut 30% of that cost , so 13,300 gp cost, market price 26,600 gp  

dunno if that is right, it is late, i will try again tomorrow

There's an armor property in Book of Exalted Deeds that does this. There's an amulet in ghostwalk that provides a continuous protection from chaos effect.

There's an armor property in Book of Exalted Deeds that does this. There's an amulet in ghostwalk that provides a continuous protection from chaos effect.

Just a quick adjustment to the price, I notice rings of protection have a minimum caster level of 3 times the AC bonus, and although that is because of the nature of the spell, Shield of Faith, I think it should be used on this item as well.

so AC 2 x 2 x 2,000gp (=8,000gp) plus saves 2 x 2 x 1,000gp  (=4,000gp) plus spell effects 1st x CL 6 x 2,000gp (=12,000) a total of 24,000 x 1.5=36,000 les 30% is 25,200gp cost, or market price of 50,400 gp

Or if You want to use the Multiple Similair Abilities (since it is all from one spell) then the cost would be: 1st x CL 6 x 2,000gp (=12,000gp) plus AC 2 x 2 x 2,000gp x 75%(6,000gp) plus  saves 2 x 2 x 1,000gp x 50% (2,000gp), total of 20,000 gp less 30% a 14,000gp cost, market price 28,000gp

That might seem cheap, but note that it doesn't stack against Rings of Protection nor the Cloak of Resistance and is only effective against Evil (or some other allignment) and it replicates an easily available level 1 spell. So given the limitations I think the 28,000 gp price tag seems reasonable. Anyone wanting AC or Saves in that price range would likely go for the seperate items.

I would make it take the neck slot as a wonderous item, not a ring. This fits with the idea NeueRegal mentioned as a mainstay of fantasy.
Also, another sugestion, why isn't there a Wonderous Item version of a Holy Symbol that when held out, and only while it is held out, it provides a Magic Circle against Evil.

Each would be for an allignment opposed by the Deity it represented, and it could also have a major version that protected from 2 alignments, again from a Deity opposed to both (and toss in a Consecrate/Desecrate effect too if you just want to play G vs E)

Just a quick adjustment to the price, I notice rings of protection have a minimum caster level of 3 times the AC bonus, and although that is because of the nature of the spell, Shield of Faith, I think it should be used on this item as well.

so AC 2 x 2 x 2,000gp (=8,000gp) plus saves 2 x 2 x 1,000gp  (=4,000gp) plus spell effects 1st x CL 6 x 2,000gp (=12,000) a total of 24,000 x 1.5=36,000 les 30% is 25,200gp cost, or market price of 50,400 gp

Or if You want to use the Multiple Similair Abilities (since it is all from one spell) then the cost would be: 1st x CL 6 x 2,000gp (=12,000gp) plus AC 2 x 2 x 2,000gp x 75%(6,000gp) plus  saves 2 x 2 x 1,000gp x 50% (2,000gp), total of 20,000 gp less 30% a 14,000gp cost, market price 28,000gp

That might seem cheap, but note that it doesn't stack against Rings of Protection nor the Cloak of Resistance and is only effective against Evil (or some other allignment) and it replicates an easily available level 1 spell. So given the limitations I think the 28,000 gp price tag seems reasonable. Anyone wanting AC or Saves in that price range would likely go for the seperate items.

I would make it take the neck slot as a wonderous item, not a ring. This fits with the idea NeueRegal mentioned as a mainstay of fantasy.

sorry but you can make the CL 1 because you only need lv 1 to cast this spell then the item cost only 4000 gps and always are working, when you emulate a spell you don't count the effects of the spell in the price like ring of invisibility or the belt of Str.
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
Wow, everybody went a little overboard with what I had in mind...  I was thinking way below the bar...  more in-line with what would be given to some young roman-catholic mexican girl...  something along the lines of a feather token in power...  a one-use protection from evil effect that would activate on it's own when attacked, with a duration of a minute, TOPS, possibly even less, a few rounds.  Something that some poor peasant family in the Black Forest might actually be seen to believably have in the family...
Oma, I supose one could make it CL 1, and I made that clear in my post. I however sugested keeping it in line with the ring of protection for balance reasons if it is continuous. As this is not an item in the game, the DM would be in his rights to assign an appropriate CL to the item, as well it should treat the seperate effects seperately, or else this is a cheap way to replace 12,000gp worth of gear.

As simply using "it's an imbued spell" can result in an item like a Ring of True Striking, I don't suggest it in this case.

Again, you risk having the players make an item for 2,000 gp with extra bonuses for 10,000gp less then 2 other standard items. Either make it Cl 6 or outright deny the player in a case like this. 
Wow, everybody went a little overboard with what I had in mind....

Or, since it is limited to casting a spell effect, once daily,  then I would just use (Spell level × caster level  × 2,000 gp) Base Price then Divide by (5 divided by charges per day) or in this case 400gp cost, 800gp market price

That would have a 1 minute duration, maybe 10 rounds of combat, so that would be in line with what you wanted

keep in mind that family heirlooms can be worth more then what a poor person could normally afford, so this isn't stretching things too much, and doesn't go against a populations wealth by level since it generally isn't put into the market or sold.

Oma, I supose one could make it CL 1, and I made that clear in my post. I however sugested keeping it in line with the ring of protection for balance reasons. As this is not an item in the game, the DM would be in his rights to assign an appropriate CL to the item, as well it should treat the seperate effects seperately, or else this is a cheap way to replace 12,000gp worth of gear.

As simply using "it's an imbued spell" can result in an item like a Ring of True Striking, I don't suggest it in this case.

this is a easy family relic and about a ring of true strike that will cost 8000 gps, this item need a standard action to use, then you always lose 1 round to use it for only a single attack that can be blocked with a wing of cover and all Craft item starting at level 3 as standard
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
The level 3 requirement there is for the feat Oma, as for items, the CL can be lowered as desired.

In the case of limited charges per day, I have suggested using the cheaper CL 1 method. However for the continuous use version I would recomend the DM use CL 6 or outright refuse the item.

You can ignore that advice in your game all you want Oma, I am only recomending that when it comes to custom magic items like this that there is careful consideration.

I don't need to comment on the Ring of true Strike, it has been direectly addressed already in depth by the official rules.
The level 3 requirement there is for the feat Oma, as for items, the CL can be lowered as desired.

In the case of limited charges per day, I have suggested using the cheaper CL 1 method. However for the continuous use version I would recomend the DM use CL 6 or outright refuse the item.

You can ignore that advice in your game all you want Oma, I am only recomending that when it comes to custom magic items like this that there is careful consideration.

I don't need to comment on the Ring of true Strike, it has been direectly addressed already in depth by the official rules.

yes, a party memeber need a player that can craft it to get in lowers levels this ring, but a player need at last level 3 and waste 4000 gps (maybe level 5 for the cost) then if you going to buy it in a shop you maybe be able to buy it until level 7

then although this item is CL 1 are based for player level 5-7  (if you waste all your main Gps in it)when is easy avoid one attack like with wing of cover
Also, another sugestion, why isn't there a Wonderous Item version of a Holy Symbol that when held out, and only while it is held out, it provides a Magic Circle against Evil.

Each would be for an allignment opposed by the Deity it represented, and it could also have a major version that protected from 2 alignments, again from a Deity opposed to both (and toss in a Consecrate/Desecrate effect too if you just want to play G vs E)

Probably the same reason a continuous Protection from XX item is not core.  IF one does exist I'd like to know where and what the cost is.  While Pro Evil's +2 bonus against certain things is nice I think it is the Mind Shielding effects that make it too strong at a low price.

Now an item that can project Magic Circle Against Alignment sounds like something that could be done especially if it is requiring a standard action to use.  It probably should also have some duration restrictions but it probably can be done.  As far as it's shape I don't see why it couldn't be part of some Holy Symbol just lilke I'd let a cleric wielding his war god's favorite weapon, and incidently holy symbol, be used as a holy symbol.

As for some simple "one use token" I'd be looking at treating it something like a potion.  It would require some kind of flourish to use (equivalent action to drinking a potion) to produce the effect.

That protection from Mind control is what concerns me, so I wouldn't want to make it cheap, you will note that I priced it from 28,000gp to 50,000gp. Sothe protection vs evil item is pricey compared to the AC/Saves, limited only to Evil already, and as a DM I might be inclined to alter the immunity to mind control etc part to just a bonus to saves vs mind control/compulsion, based on the caster level of the item. (I suggested CL 6)

As for the Holy Symbols that project Magic Circles, That is something that I would price very high indeed, so the price would more then balance it. and maybe add an additional requirement, such as it has to be held up by a follower of the deity while chanting a specific prayer each round, (limiting them to a single move or standard action) either way I agree, it should be approached cautiously.
 -sighs-

Oma, this is why I keep trying to tell you about context and balance and considering the Rules as Intended, and the Rules as Written in proper context.

The Amulete of Protection From Evil and the more absurd idea I bounced of a Holy Symbol of Magic Circle against evil are both items that don't really fit into the rules for making magic items, nor the calculations.

Since you are a stickler for "official rules" even if in other threads you ignore them, you are making a mistake, a very serious mistake, buy giving the Ring of True Striking an 8,000gp price tag. I think if you were to try stepping back and reading the rules in context of a DM trying to ensure a balanced game and the intent of the rules, rather then the "technically I could get away with this, regardless of how broken it is if I ignore all the contradictions" You would see.

I will refer you to the Official Wizards of the Coast discussion on the Ring of True Striking:

www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/200...

I hope that shows you how you should be looking at magic items, it will also show that i am being pretty cheap in my suggestion for prices on Protection vs Evil item, and probably shouldn't even allow it.

That protection from Mind control is what concerns me, so I wouldn't want to make it cheap, you will note that I priced it from 28,000gp to 50,000gp. Sothe protection vs evil item is pricey compared to the AC/Saves, limited only to Evil already, and as a DM I might be inclined to alter the immunity to mind control etc part to just a bonus to saves vs mind control/compulsion, based on the caster level of the item. (I suggested CL 6)

As for the Holy Symbols that project Magic Circles, That is something that I would price very high indeed, so the price would more then balance it. and maybe add an additional requirement, such as it has to be held up by a follower of the deity while chanting a specific prayer each round, (limiting them to a single move or standard action) either way I agree, it should be approached cautiously.

pot of Invisivility 300 gps while item cost 20000 gps (instead of 24000 gps ([2*3*2000]*2)but the item need be actived not are always active, this should be done because the problem of attack and the autoactivation of the item)

pot of Protection from Evil cost 50 Gps while the item will cost maybe 3332 gps for be like the ring or 4000 gps ([1*1*2000]*2) to be always actived

then 50*6=300 and 4000*6=24000.
Oma the issue here is items that use spells that don't dirrectly translate into balanced items and thus need to be balanced by, other means and DM descrection. In my case I suggested using a higher CL, but a Dm could simply tack a price on it

In the case of the ring of Invisibility, they calculated it and then said, oh heck no! and then arbitrarily made it 20,000gp just because it should be twice as valuable, there really is no formula there other then what level it should be made affordable to.  
Oma the issue here is items that use spells that don't dirrectly translate into balanced items and thus need to be balanced by, other means and DM descrection. In my case I suggested using a higher CL, but a Dm could simply tack a price on it

In the case of the ring of Invisibility, they calculated it and then said, oh heck no! and then arbitrarily made it 20,000gp just because it should be twice as valuable, there really is no formula there other then what level it should be made affordable to.  

then under that rule the ring will cost 1800 * 2 = 3600 gps for active at command or 8000 gps to be always active.
Oma, you are missing the point.

Some spells just don't translate into items well. In the case of a continuous Protection from Evil, it just isn't a well balanced item to fit in a standard formula. It would be a serious mistake to make certain items without considering balance, and slapping a standard formula on it is often a mistake.

The Ring of invisibility, 10,800 gp is an example
the Ring of True Strike, 8,000 gp is another

So yes, use caution when making magic items like this. Lookign at it from a balancing view point, A +2 Ring of Protection is 8,000 gp and a +2 Cloak of Resistance is 4,000 gp, a total of 12,000 gp and 2 seperate body slots just for 2 of the effects.

That doesn't include the other benifits of Protection from Evil.

So for a continuous item, it should be priced for Multiple Effects on a single Item. AC, Saves and Spell effect
Oma, you are missing the point.

Some spells just don't translate into items well. In the case of a continuous Protection from Evil, it just isn't a well balanced item to fit in a standard formula. It would be a serious mistake to make certain items without considering balance, and slapping a standard formula on it is often a mistake.

The Ring of invisibility, 10,800 gp is an example
the Ring of True Strike, 8,000 gp is another

So yes, use caution when making magic items like this. Lookign at it from a balancing view point, A +2 Ring of Protection is 8,000 gp and a +2 Cloak of Resistance is 4,000 gp, a total of 12,000 gp and 2 seperate body slots just for 2 of the effects.

That doesn't include the other benifits of Protection from Evil.

So for a continuous item, it should be priced for Multiple Effects on a single Item. AC, Saves and Spell effect

but protection from evil or good not is a overpower thing you only gain +2 to the AC that is noting in middle and high level and only agains evils, now the mind shield maybe is the best think but again only from evils sources that for a player in a hero campain will be very useful, as example the ghost touch armor in the ghostwall campaing cost only +1 because you need a lot but again in a standar campain lets compare.

Mind Blank Psionic 7*13*2000 /2 = 91 000 gps only again evils 45 500 gps (this work again magic jar but not again fear)
2*2*2000 = 8000 but only agains evil characters 4000 Gps
2*2*1000 = 4000 but only agains evil characters 2000 Gps
then a standard item will cost from 51 500 gps

but this item dont is very useful then the cost need be lessened to 25 750 gps now this item can have a very low CL and maybe cost less
I think whats trying to be said here oma is that at the equivalent level that the items price would allow makes it to powerful for that level fo game play, hence the adjusted price. Think of it this way, in epics level handbook the formulas for creating epic level spells have an amendment to them called adhoc, which is where the DM adds a modifier to the spell craft dc to create an epic level spell based on how powerful it's outcome is. Magic items have the same basic principle to them. Many magic items dont have a real formula to them what so ever, a good example of this is the monks belt. They just picked a spell as a requirement to make the item and said "this is what the item is worth". At lower levels the immunity to mind effecting spells from evil creatures can be pretty amazing considering who is more often going to charm you into doing something, a good guy, or a bad guy?
The mind blank portion of Protection from evil works regardless of alignment:

"Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment."

That is very powerful for a few thousand gp...
Oma, it is not suprising in games for a very large percentage of the creatures that the players face to be evil, my current game the DM has thrown a good 90% or more of the enemies against us as evil.

I know it doesn't seem like much in the higher levels, where the players have likely +4 AC, +4 Save items, but in the lower tier of play such a cheap item would be unbalanced. Look at the wealth by level charts and you will see why it would be inapropriately priced to use that formula.

You will see that a typical level 5 character couldn't afford both the +2 Cloak and +2 Ring, 12,000 gp, plus other gear. However they could afford to buy the ring at that price, and what a deal. It should be priced accordingly.  
Oma, it is not suprising in games for a very large percentage of the creatures that the players face to be evil, my current game the DM has thrown a good 90% or more of the enemies against us as evil.

I know it doesn't seem like much in the higher levels, where the players have likely +4 AC, +4 Save items, but in the lower tier of play such a cheap item would be unbalanced. Look at the wealth by level charts and you will see why it would be inapropriately priced to use that formula.

You will see that a typical level 5 character couldn't afford both the +2 Cloak and +2 Ring, 12,000 gp, plus other gear. However they could afford to buy the ring at that price, and what a deal. It should be priced accordingly.  

then you only play heros campaing where all the kingdoms are friends?
in a normal role you fight again evils, good of other kingdoms, neutrals, demons, angels, animals, contrsucts, deadless, undead etc. and again like in ghostwalk campaing if your campaing is oriented to one aligmend or race this will change the cost of some items.

this item at mush will cost from 4000 - 25 000 and be always active.

as example in a campaing when you only fight again mindless constructs this item will be very userless and will cost 4000 gps, in a campaing when you only fight again evils character this item will be the most important and the cost will be 25 000 gps and still the evil force can use neutral mercenaries then the challenge never is lose.
as example in a campaing when you only fight again mindless constructs this item will be very userless and will cost 4000 gps, in a campaing when you only fight again evils character this item will be the most important and the cost will be 25 000 gps and still the evil force can use neutral mercenaries then the challenge never is lose.

Unless the opponents have some way to affect your mind (which is definitely possible)...the protection from XXX spells block possession and mind control (as stated by Asteron) from any alignment.

Unless the opponents have some way to affect your mind (which is definitely possible)...the protection from XXX spells block possession and mind control (as stated by Asteron) from any alignment.

sorry but this item as you can see in her construction only protect you from evils sources.
because if not this item will be equal to the ring of true strike that as standard cost 400 000 gps but is more like to cost 200 000 gps in this times.

remember that the item some times not are equal to the spell like the ring of spell storing.
Oma, the restirction to allignment is only worth a 30% discount, at most. the fact that it has multiple effects on a single item, AC and Saves as well as mind blocking, should be calculated as Multiple different effects on the same item.

So AC 2 + Saves 2 + Spell Effects with approptriate CL

It might be ok to treat this as just a level 1 spell for an expendible, or limited charge item (once daily) but as continuous or on command, then no, I would expect it to be costly
remember that the item some times not are equal to the spell like the ring of spell storing.

You should just leave now.  If I recall correctly the last time you were involved in a "discussion" on a Ring of Spell Storing you never managed to convince anyone of your stance.  That discussion also shows just how poor your grasp on magic items often is.
Making the item not equal to the spell would defeat the purpose of the original poster, who wanted a limited use item that cast the spell Protectino from Evil.

As a once daily item this can be made affordably and balanced, so nipping the spell effect would destroy the purpose.

sorry but this item as you can see in her construction only protect you from evils sources.
because if not this item will be equal to the ring of true strike that as standard cost 400 000 gps but is more like to cost 200 000 gps in this times.

Read the description of the spell again.  I quote: 

The mind blank portion of Protection from evil works regardless of alignment:

"Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment."

Looking at the other spells in the PHB (Chaos, Good, Law) yields this:

"This spell functions like protection from evil, except that the deflection and resistance bonuses apply to attacks from XXXX creatures, and XXXX summoned creatures cannot touch the subject."

Oma, the restirction to allignment is only worth a 30% discount, at most. the fact that it has multiple effects on a single item, AC and Saves as well as mind blocking, should be calculated as Multiple different effects on the same item.

It might be ok to treat this as just a level 1 spell for an expendible, or limited charge item (once daily) but as continuous or on command, then no, I would expect it to be costly

this restriction is only for the ones to use the ring but this is only for the ones that the ring affects then is a more potent backdraw, as example not is the same a ring that deal 1000 damages that only be used for evils characters that a ring that deal 1000 that can be used for everyone but only to non-creatures ballons.

and again this spell again Invisivility that give you +4 AC and total total concealment and +40 hide
for only 20 000 gps always you want for 3 min wow while +40 to hide cost 1 600 000 then under the logic of the ring of true strike this item will be cost 800 000 gps but you need check the spell and her potencial power

the an item that give you protection from evil always active will cost - + 25 000 gps or 50 000 gps if you think that is very overpower but no more, or use it in a very important slot like the periap or the belt or the cape.

this restriction is only for the ones to use the ring but this is only for the ones that the ring affects then is a more potent backdraw, as example not is the same a ring that deal 1000 damages that only be used for evils characters that a ring that deal 1000 that can be used for everyone but only to non-creatures ballons.

and again this spell again Invisivility that give you +4 AC and total total concealment and +40 hide
for only 20 000 gps always you want for 3 min wow while +40 to hide cost 1 600 000 then under the logic of the ring of true strike this item will be cost 800 000 gps but you need check the spell and her potencial power

the an item that give you protection from evil always active will cost - + 25 000 gps or 50 000 gps if you think that is very overpower but no more, or use it in a very important slot like the periap or the belt or the cape.

again read the description of the item "made" is non based in the spell
Making the item not equal to the spell would defeat the purpose of the original poster, who wanted a limited use item that cast the spell Protectino from Evil.

As a once daily item this can be made affordably and balanced, so nipping the spell effect would destroy the purpose.

then use some like this, but because this is only a Level 1 spell you can change to 3 times per day.

DEATH WARD
Price: +1 bonus
Property: Armor or shield
Caster Level: 7th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 18)
necromancy
Activation: Immediate
(mental)
This black-enameled item has a
translucent quality, as through
it were not entirely of this world.
Small, white images of skulls
decorate the armor's shoulders,
like grotesque epaulets.
Armor and shields that have
this property are favored by
those dedicated to fighting
the foul art of necromancy.
While wearing or using death
ward armor or a death ward
shield, you can activate the
armor to ignore any death
effect (including death spells,
magical death effects, and energy drain)
or negative energy effect (such as inflict
spells or chill touch).
The death ward property functions once
per day
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and
Armor, death ward.
Cost to Create: Varies.
Oma, You are still missing the point, the orriginal poster wanted a limited use item that gave Protection From Evil maybe once day for a minute. As a Once daily item the direct spell effect is perfectly balanced for price and level.

And when you hitreply, down by submit post ther eis a little box "Quote message in reply?", just unclick it, save us allthe redundant quotes
Oma, You are still missing the point, the orriginal poster wanted a limited use item that gave Protection From Evil maybe once day for a minute. As a Once daily item the direct spell effect is perfectly balanced for price and level.

And when you hitreply, down by submit post ther eis a little box "Quote message in reply?", just unclick it, save us allthe redundant quotes

¬¬ then the cost for only one charge per day are 360 gps but maybe you can make it as immediate action for 1000 gps like the armor
It could also be a refluffed scroll of PfE, which grants it a total cost of 25 gp.  Following the pricing conventions in the DMG would grant a once-per-day item that casts PfE a total cost of ~360...which could possibly be a bit overpowered for the price, so a DM could bump the price a bit (and justifiably so...immunity to several useful PHB spells is quite powerful, even at 1 minute duration).
Lets just look at the Protection from Evil spell and it's effects:

1.  The subject gains a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves. Both these bonuses apply against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures.

A +2 Defelction bonus costs 8000 gp (ring of protection+2)
A +2 Reistance bonus costs 4000 gp (cloak of resistance +2)

We can probably lower the effective cost 50% although you may argue for more.  The MIC would allow these bonuses to be added to an item without additional cost so I'm not worrying there. 

2.  The barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. ... This second effect works regardless of alignment.

This a MASSIVE benefit.  If the effect is "on" while the item is worn then the suppression is effectively immunity.  I'm having a hard time coming up with a magic item that effectively provides immunity from all forms of outside mental control but I don't imagine it should be cheap.  Depending on the campaign this can easily be a game breaking ability.

3.   The spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good summoned creatures are immune to this effect. The protection against contact by summoned creatures ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or tries to force the barrier against the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.

Although it provides immunity to the natural attacks of most summoned creatures (most of them use natural attacks) it may not be too problematic.  With this is play a DM just doesn't use summoned creatures against the PC.  That may be a problem solved but is also restricts the type of gameplay that can be done.

Now one potentially could make a "Ring of Protection from Alignment" but the most important thing when it comes to pricing it is how much that "immunity" (the spell's second benefit) provided should cost.  It really shouldn't be too cheap yet it actually should be possible.  You'd also need to determine a cost for the protection from summoned creatures.  The thing about such an item, as I see it, would be why limit the deflection and resistance bonus to one alignment?  It shouldn't cost much more to make them work against every one and the protection from summons already covers every alignment except that opposed to the "protection from" target.

Going back the the idea of a "Protection from Evil" charm I'll just point out that a Potion of Protection from Alignment only costs 50 gp.  Using it will be a standard action that provokes an AoO which could disrupt its use.  I see no reason to make things more complicated then that.

A couple things to add on to what StevenO said: the third eye mindblank item from the MIC grants the benefits of the spell mindblank, which is mostly what the spell protection from evil offers in terms of combating charm/compulsion, with the added benefits of blocking scrying. that item itself costs around 150-160,000gp itself I believe. Even cutting that cost in half would be around 75,000 gp. The ability to not attack is smiler in effect to the rigs of elemental command. The key difference is those rings offer various spell activation effects based on element, whereas protection from evil just gives the bonus to save and ac vs. evil creatures, and evil summons can bypass the protection via spell resistance. those rings are either 100,000 or 200,000 gp (cant recall and am away from my books atm) so reducing that cost to 1/4 the ring of elemental command and adding it to the reduced cost from a third eye mindblank you have effects which are equivalent to an item of around 150-155,000 gp by a comparative power scale. Note that those are just some ball park estimates based on preexisting items, but that's where it comes down to in terms of other items and similar abilities.
The item exists.

There is a necklace published as part of the official supplement to the Age of Worms Adventure Path, specificially during the 4th adventure on the druids' island, in Dragon Magazine. I believe the cost of the Necklace that gave Protection from Evil was 30K.

==Aelryinth  
Fighter vs Warblade analysis http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19573526/Analyzing_the_Fighter_vs_The_Warblade The Lockdown F/20 iconic build http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19856162/A_little_Lock_build_for_you
That follows with my proposed costs. a potion is 50gp a once daily talisman is like 360 gp.

A continuous effect on the other hand shold be priced as multiple items, using the AC and Saves calculation for 12,000 with a 30% discount since it is Evil only is 8,400gp plus the third effect, which I would calculate as a Caster Level 6 (to follow the AC/save bonus of similar items) which is 12,000gp. A total of 20,400 gp

However, like the Ring of invisibility, I really am not satisfied with that price fitting the continuous effect so am inclined to double the costs of the continuous effect, making the item 32,000 gp which is more of a satisfactory price IMO.

-Potion: 50gp
-Once daily necklace, 360gp
-Continous (minimum 20,400gp) suggesting 32,000gp