[DGM] RTR, set 3 of 3: Dragon's Maze

133 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Set NameDragon's Maze
BlockSet 3 of 3 in the Return to Ravnica block
Number of Cards156
GuildsAll ten
Prerelease EventsApril 27-28, 2013
Release DateMay 3, 2013
Game DayMay 26-27, 2013
Pro Tour Dragon's MazeMay 17-19, 2013
Magic Online Release DateMay 13, 2013
Official Three-Letter CodeDGM
Twitter Hashtag#MTGDGM
Design TeamAlexis Janson (lead) Mark Rosewater Erik Lauer Aaron Forsythe Shawn Main Dan Emmons
Development TeamZac Hill (lead) Erik Lauer Mark Globus Mark Gottlieb Masami Ibamoto Sam Stoddard
LanguagesEnglish, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
Available inBooster Packs, Intro Packs*, Event Decks*, Fat Pack*
Hypothesis: Niv's endgame is revealed and, as an inside man, Ral Zarek is the key to stopping it?
Well Niv-Mizzet did have the city built on an original design to literally take over Ravinca when activated. The Goblins messed it up when it was built. However, that shouldn't stop the Izzit from going around fixing or modifiy it for it to work.
Ral vs Niv. My mind is ready.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Ravnica: City of Guilds
Guildpact
Dissension

Return to Ravnica
Gatecrash
Dragon's Maze

--mtalmuzicfan...
...coincidence?
4/17/12 - Started Magic the Gathering: Online <--mtalhead...for LIFE!!! \m/
So... the secret project that Niv-Mizzet made was a maze? Frown

Somehow I had feeling Ral Zarek was the only Planeswalker card show up in DGM

Guildpact
Dissension

Return to Ravnica
Gatecrash
Dragon's Maze

--mtalmuzicfan...
...coincidence?

Mind = Blown
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Roasted Garlic Dijon
Richard Garfield, PhD
Phelddagrif?

Neat parallel there, between the two sets. Hmmm.

Mirrodin
Darksteel
Fifth Dawn

Scars of Mirrodin
Mirrodin Besieged
New Phyrexia

That didn't work so well.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Niv-Mizzet activates the magic card Magical Labyrinth!........That........ did not work out so well.

Ral Zarek is going to be the next king of games btw.

Seriously good set name though.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
It looks like now we know who four of the five planeswalkers of the block are going to be, so I wonder who's going to be the second one for Gatecrash? My guess is Kiora.
Set name is really lame but whatever. When did I care about that? 
5 Planeswalkers for the block:

Blue: Jace

White: Gideon

Red: Ral Zarek

Vraska counts as either the Green or Black one.

So the other GTC planeswalker should be Green or Black.

Green possibilities: 

Garruk (unlikely, since he was in the last block and his storyline showed no sign of him needing to go to Ravnica for any reason.)

Nissa (possible, since she is looking for allies to help with the Eldrazi, just like Gideon.)

Sarkhan Vol (I don't see any reason for him to be here, but who knows?)

Kiora (Merfolk are new in Gatecrash, although Kiora probably isn't in the Simic guild.)

An existing Planeswalker that has historically not been green but now is (Chandra, Ajani, Tamiyo, Tibalt, Tezzeret, Nicol Bolas, Sorin, Liliana, Elspeth, Karn, Koth).  Seems unlikely for 90% of those.

Someone completely new.

Black possibilities:

Sorin (unlikely for same reasons as Garruk)

Sarkhan Vol

Liliana (same reasons as Garruk and Sorin)

Nicol Bolas (Would be weird.)

Garruk

Tezzeret (Maybe, he has ties to Ravnica and Jace)

An existing Planeswalker that has historically not been black but now is (Chandra, Ajani, Tamiyo, Tibalt, Elspeth, Karn, Koth, Nissa, Kiora).  Seems unlikely for 90% of those.

Someone completely new.

Frontrunners: Kiora, Nissa, Tezzeret, or someone new.
Maze huh? Did anyone elses mind go to the Uncharted Realms story about the chimes and the unsolvable theorem that Niv-mizzet had one of his people try to solve?

Obviously Gatecrash is going to advance the plot, with the other five guilds playing the bigger role, while Izzet seems to be THE guild for this last block.

The only thing I hope is that Dragon's Maze won't be another Avacyn Restored, that'd ruin everything again.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

The only thing I hope is that Dragon's Maze won't be another Avacyn Restored, that'd ruin everything again.

Well, it's not a large set.  It's not Angel/Human focused with monsters on the run.  There won't be any miracle or soulbond.  It won't be drafted by itself.  It's not called Avacyn Restored.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say.

Guildpact
Dissension

Return to Ravnica
Gatecrash
Dragon's Maze

--mtalmuzicfan...
...coincidence?

... Whoa.

I'm intrigued. Dragon's Maze sounds like an utterly weird name for a set, and so very Izzet too. XD

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Nice! The child has a name now.
Although I don't like DGM as abbreviation of Dragon's Maze much.

Still so many days until May 3rd... gladly we'll have another set inbetween to slobber all over. =)

Well, it's not a large set.  It's not Angel/Human focused with monsters on the run.  There won't be any miracle or soulbond.  It won't be drafted by itself.  It's not called Avacyn Restored.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say.

What I'm trying to say is that Innistrad and Dark Ascension were really flavorful sets with a very nice backstory and they set up for an awesome finale, but then avacyn restored happened with its "grislebrand and a inexplicably healed avacyn came out of the helvault, avacyn kills grislebrand, everyone go home" story which was a huge disappointment. So many things were left unexplained, like Sorin's presence and it just felt really **** compared to the two sets preceding it.

So what I'm trying to say is that I hope Dragon's Maze will not fail to capitalize on what RTR and Gatecrash build. Thought it's obvious enough but apparently it was not.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Sure an interesting name for the set.

Dragons Maze sounds like an old Dungeons and Dragons esque board game or an 80s/90s video game.
The name of this makes me go WTF.
If this doesn't involve David Bowie (Hell, I'd settle for a Goblin King reprint with the right flavor text/art), I'm qutting Magic forever. The Paradox brothers would be appreciated as well, though not required.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

What I'm trying to say is that Innistrad and Dark Ascension were really flavorful sets with a very nice backstory and they set up for an awesome finale, but then avacyn restored happened with its "grislebrand and a inexplicably healed avacyn came out of the helvault, avacyn kills grislebrand, everyone go home" story which was a huge disappointment. So many things were left unexplained, like Sorin's presence and it just felt really **** compared to the two sets preceding it.

Liliana killed Griselbrand. ;)

[<o>]
They could call this ham & eggs for all it affects my life, but just for the record...

Worst. Set name. Ever.

Nissa (possible, since she is looking for allies to help with the Eldrazi, just like Gideon.)

She's looking for Sorin in particular. If he's not here, she won't be.
Also, Ravnica is her personal hell. She HATES this place. 

Kiora (Merfolk are new in Gatecrash, although Kiora probably isn't in the Simic guild.)

She's been confirmed not to be Simic and shares nothing of their worldview.

Nicol Bolas (Would be weird.)

He's been confirmed not to have any direct influence on this block (he's still got some agents here presumably, but he won't be here personally).

Tezzeret (Maybe, he has ties to Ravnica and Jace)

Still busy faffing about on New Phyrexia

My initials are DGM. ^_^
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Dragons Maze sounds like an old Dungeons and Dragons esque board game or an 80s/90s video game.

Totally this.  My first thought was "isn't this a D&D campaign?"
My initials are DGM. ^_^

... Are you Niv-Mizzet?
They will probably bring the Guild Champions back for this set, each being a Mythic Rare. Ral will count for Izzet I assume.
IMAGE(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=253633&type=card)IMAGE(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=253541&type=card) Hmm...
IMAGE(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=277992&type=card) HMM...
Guildpact
Dissension

Return to Ravnica
Gatecrash
Dragon's Maze

--mtalmuzicfan...
...coincidence?

In the words of Mark Rosewater, never deny anything cool.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
5 Planeswalkers for the block:

Blue: Jace, Architect of Thought

White: Gideon

Red: Ral Zarek

Vraska counts as either the Green or Black one.

So the other GTC planeswalker should be Green or Black.

Pretty sure Vraska the Unseen counts as the Green/Black one.  Haha.  There's no reason why the 5th has to be green or black tho.

Not counting M13, since it has one of each color and Bolas, here's a list of the past block's 'walkers.
Innistrad Block: Black: Liliana of the Veil, Green(with a hint of black): Garruk Relentless, Black/White: Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, So terrible it should have been the first non-mythic walker Red: Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded, Blue: Tamiyo, the Moon Sage.

So totals for Innistrad + Ravnica (knowing Gideon 2 will be at least White, and assuming that Ral-Zarek is Blue/Red):
Black: 3
White: 1 (2 when we get Gideon)
Green: 2
Blue: 2 (3 when we get Ral)
Red: 1 (2 when we get Ral)

If you look at all time 'walkers you get:
Black: 9
White: 8 (9 with new Gideon)
Green: 6
Blue: 9 (10 with Ral)
Red: 9 (10 with Ral)

I'm hoping for a completely new Green since 3 of the 6 are Garruks (one of which can turn into another Garruk!), but i'm guessing G/W since that combo doesn't exist yet.  A new G/R would look awesome next to a Huntmaster of the Fells and whatever goodies Gatecrash brings, but Sarkhan Vol already exists.  A good Red walker to make up for Tibalt would be cool too.     
Well, we know Gruul is in Gatecrash, but a given the nature of the guilds I think a Simic Walker would be more likely.  Something about them makes me think they're more likely to ignite their spark than the Gruul which are, by their very nature, kind of close-minded and not particularly bright.
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/3279404959...

lkanman asked: To fit in with the Ravnia, Guildpact, and Dissension acronym, will "Sinker" start with a "D"?

Maybe. : )

from Oct 3rd

Hmm...
HMM...

Interesting indeed. This set sounds more like a quest than a setting. I like it, and I hope they succeed in conveying the feel of an adventure or puzzle, rather than just another set.
Well, we know Gruul is in Gatecrash, but a given the nature of the guilds I think a Simic Walker would be more likely.  Something about them makes me think they're more likely to ignite their spark than the Gruul which are, by their very nature, kind of close-minded and not particularly bright.

we already have 2 blue planeswalkers, Jace and the expected Ral (red & blue). I doubt they would put in another blue planeswalker

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
I would like to see a Kiora PW card for the GTC. I am really interested in who the other will be. It would be nice to get a Green/White PW, but that would have fit better in RTR with the Selsyna.

Overall it should be a new character. If Gideon is mono white then it should be a multicolored card. If Gideon is R/W, then it should be a bicolored card. Maybe a R/B Dack Fayden? 
Maybe a R/B Dack Fayden? 

There is nothing black about Dack Fayden.
Besides that, comic exclusive characters are hands off for R&D. 
Maybe a R/B Dack Fayden? 

There is nothing black about Dack Fayden.
Besides that, comic exclusive characters are hands off for R&D. 

I don't know that much about him, considering he is a thief it would give him black qualites. 

I don't know that much about him, considering he is a thief it would give him black qualites. 

Not really that kind of thief.
He seems to steal more for fun and the challenge than greed. 

Not really that kind of thief.
He seems to steal more for fun and the challenge than greed. 

Maybe just mono Red then.
According to his bio on TVTropes, he has the ability to learn an artifact's purpose by touching it, which seems like a blue ability to me. Three of the five promo cards that feature him - Treasure Hunt, Faithless Looting, and Electrolyze - are either blue or red, while the other two - Feast of Blood and Arrest -  are black and white. The u/r cards appear to be spells he uses while FoB suggests that he would never use the dark magic imbued in the Ancient Fang, decidedly making him non-black, and Arrest depicts him as the prisoner of a giant, and a thief is almost guaranteed to not be white.

The combined evidence tells me he's U/R much like fellow fan favorite Ral Zarek. At the very least he's a far more moderate U/B/R than Nicol Bolas, more on Tetsuo's end of the morality scale.