Angel of Serenity and optional exile

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, just want to clarify a simple issue.
It's understood that Angel of Serenity's ETB trigger of exiling targeted creatures/creature cards is optional, and only decided upon resolution of it.
However, I'd like to check, if the decision to exile is made for each individual targets or is the decision to exile the targets made as a group?

Thanks
Hi, just want to clarify a simple issue.
It's understood that Angel of Serenity's ETB trigger of exiling targeted creatures/creature cards is optional, and only decided upon resolution of it.
However, I'd like to check, if the decision to exile is made for each individual targets or is the decision to exile the targets made as a group?

Thanks

When the ability goes on the stack, you choose how many targets there will be and what those targets are. When the ability resolves, you decide per-target if it will be exiled or not.  If you choose three targets, you can then choose to only exile one of them, for example.

Right, got it. Thanks

When the ability goes on the stack, you choose how many targets there will be and what those targets are. When the ability resolves, you decide per-target if it will be exiled or not.  If you choose three targets, you can then choose to only exile one of them, for example.

I have to disagree with this, it states that you can exile up to 3 targets.  The "up to 3 targets" are choosen when the ability is put on the stack.  When the ability resolves you choose whether those targets are exiled or not.  You don't get to pick and choose during resolution, that was done when the ability was put on the stack.  In short everything targeted is either exiled or everything targeted is not exiled.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

I tend to agree with Segoth here; the choice appears to be «exile the targets, or don't».
But it certainly is possible that the people at Wizards intented the choice to be applied on a per target basis. We should ask them.

I'm leaning towards the all-or-nothing understanding too.
Would really love a clarification.
Is there any way to get such clarification?
You're choosing whether or not to use the ability, not whether to use the ability for each target. Either you choose to exiled the up to three targeted creatures or you don't exile any of them: you can't choose (for example) to exile two of them and not the third one.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.