Selesnya Chalice Deck

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on a life gain chalice deck and its just not working the way I want it to. Please give me some input on how to fix it. I'm open to any idea, except I've invested a lot of money into Thragtusk and I don't think I'm going to remove any of those.

23 lands                                                   26 creatures                                11 other spells
6x Forests                                                4x Avacyn's Pilgrim                         3x Heroes' Reunion
4x Selesnya Guildgate                             4x Cathedral Sanctifier                    4x Oblivion Ring
4x Grove of the Guardian                         4x Tree of Redemption                    4x Chalice of Life 
4x Sunpetal Grove                                    4x Centaur Healer
5x Plains                                                   4x Rhox Faithmender
                                                                 4x Thragtusk
                                                                 2x Trostani 

This deck operates on three win conditions gaining life and flipping the chalice, tree + rhox combo, and trostani + grove combo(populating 8/8s). Let me know what you guys think. 
Cut tree. Increase Trostani to 4. Add 4x farseek. Cut sanctifier. Cut heroes reunion. Add Armada wurm. Add.... 2x Seance : )

If you have trostani out, seance is a beast. Its solid when you reanimate thragtusk or armada wurm, and works well with faithmender as well. Also, Armada wurm helps with the plan B of crush with fatties. Unfortunately their are so many 4 drops, so we need farseek. 
there are many things wrong, one, it will take you at least 3 turns to get anything good out asssuming you have a land each turn, another thing is if you are dependant on the chalice of lifes ability then what if someone plays a card too destroy it? or even someone with a mill deck makes you descard them? also you have too much concentration of creature power, you can only get one out a turn, and it doesnt matter how powerful a card is if the opponent has death touch or more then one creature o that you cant block some of it. another thing is even if you succesfully get out chalice of life, turn it to death, and you do this in around 5 turns it will take another 4 turns to kill the opponent, i have seen a matchs that lasted only 5-7 turns. as for how to fix it i dont know, i am still new to this myself, but as far as i can tell this is whats wrong.
thanks man sooo much help 

thnx
I hate dogs.
Cut tree. Increase Trostani to 4. Add 4x farseek. Cut sanctifier. Cut heroes reunion. Add Armada wurm. Add.... 2x Seance : )

If you have trostani out, seance is a beast. Its solid when you reanimate thragtusk or armada wurm, and works well with faithmender as well. Also, Armada wurm helps with the plan B of crush with fatties. Unfortunately their are so many 4 drops, so we need farseek. 

4x legendary trostani? farseek sounds good, armada wurm is always solid....seance is interesting. good ideas 
there are many things wrong, one, it will take you at least 3 turns to get anything good out asssuming you have a land each turn, another thing is if you are dependant on the chalice of lifes ability then what if someone plays a card too destroy it? or even someone with a mill deck makes you descard them? also you have too much concentration of creature power, you can only get one out a turn, and it doesnt matter how powerful a card is if the opponent has death touch or more then one creature o that you cant block some of it. another thing is even if you succesfully get out chalice of life, turn it to death, and you do this in around 5 turns it will take another 4 turns to kill the opponent, i have seen a matchs that lasted only 5-7 turns. as for how to fix it i dont know, i am still new to this myself, but as far as i can tell this is whats wrong.

yea i know what you mean i've though about running Nearheath Pilgrim and Swift Justice to give it some more punch but idk 
honestly i am an aggro person so i just need a meat shield, power card, and some cards to deflect spells
I would cut green all together and go control with blue and white.

Let me be fair I think you could run all three colors too and I don't think that all these cards should be played, but they are something to be considered when it comes to blue and what your deck is trying to do. Blue can give you a mill win condition if things go awry. I.E. bad start or your worst enemy Slaughter Games

Don't forget Elixir of immortality

Cards to look at in this color idea

Feeling of dread
Sphinx's Revelation
Drogskol Reaver
Temporal Mastery
Devastation Tide
Azor's Elocutors
Supreme Verdict
Jace, Architect of thought
Amass the components
Detention Sphere
Cackling Counterpart
Arctic Aven
Search Warrant
New Prahv Guildmage
Dramatic Rescue 
Azorius Charm
Think Twice
Snapcaster Mage
Peel From Reality
Saving Grasp
Judge's Familiar
Syncopate
Increasing Confusion
Dissipate
My friend runs a GW chalice deck. I love it actually, and it's suprisingly good in the meta.

A lot of you seem to be gasming over Armada Wurm + Trostani, Selesnya's Voice + Rhox Faithmender for leik 20 life and then you can populate for more. That's a lot of cards at high mana costs two of which compete in a CMC slot. It's not a good combo because it's simply inconsistent. Drop the wurms, drop the Trostanis. A faithmender with a Rancor on him or a faithmender and a Heroe's Reunion or a faithmender and a Thragtusk are all much more efficient and flexible. Heck, my friend runs it budget, meaning no Thragtusks and still manages to pull wins.

Addressing your decklist, cut out Trostani, go down to two Trees, drop an Oblivion Ring, add 4x Rancor, cut out the Groves for three basics, and consider two Serra Avatars as an alternate win-con. It's a weird choice but it could work.

I could see splashing blue for Sphinx's Revelation but only after some serious ramp added.

That's a start but more testing needs to be done.
What about Sigarda? She is a win con herself, and is difficult to deal with.
Restoration Angel.

With Trostani and a Faithmender in play, hitting Thragtusk with the Angel gets you 22 life. Armada Wurm is another great flicker target, getting you 20 life. Armada Wurm also works well with Trostani, turning that wonderful populate ability into 5 (10) life and a 5/5 trampler for 1GW.

Edit: I'm sorry. I forgot to factor in the Restoration Angel itself in those totals. Flickering Thragtusk nets you 30 life, and the Wurm is 28.

Also, while Chalice may be one of the possible wincons for a deck like this, you can't overlook the fact that you can just stomp on things with Thragtusks, Armada Wurms, and Angels.

A similar deck was covered recently in a DailyMtG article: Octupling Life for Fun and Profit
I thought about the Chalice today and found this thread. 
My point of view is that if you have Resto Angel, Thragtusk, Armada Wurm....then you might as well get rid of the chalice and just go for green white beatdown. You say you want to chalice but you're playing expensive stuff that if you play you've probably already won the game anyway. Even if you HAVE a chalice flipped, what do you think your opp is worried about. The chalice, or the two armada wurms in play plus your populating trostani.

If you REALLY want to play chalice, not just toss it in, then you need a different mindset. I understand you want to leave the thrag in because he's expensive. But in my opinion you can get to the 10 life surplus fairly quickly with much cheaper spells that you can play earlier, allowing you to activate the chalice faster. 

I'm going to propose the following deck. Maybe it'll work for you, maybe it won't.
Let me know what you think.

24 Land

The manabase shouldn't be too hard. It's only two colors. I'm sure you have an idea of what to put in here already.

One thing I don't like is that it lacks draw capability. I was going to go blue and put in some bounce spells like dramatic rescue and azorius charm and maybe think twice but then i forgot you had the thragtusk and plus. U/W can't play heroes' reunion.

Another is there I didn't put in any removal. The Swift Justice might get you some combat tricks in but maybe replacing them with O-ring is better?

I haven't played it at all so don't really know how it'll fair. I might be talking out my ......

Please remember to keep your comments positive, productive, and on topic. Remember we are trying to create a
mutually beneficial and productive community for everyone to take part in.

At the end of the day we are all in this thing together, and if we don't work together we will never get anywhere!

If you have any questions or would like to read the CoC you can find it here:

company.wizards.com/conduct

Remember, Keep it clean, Keep it nice, and of course Keep it fun!

Thank you for your understanding!

Please remember to keep your comments positive, productive, and on topic. Remember we are trying to create a
mutually beneficial and productive community for everyone to take part in.

At the end of the day we are all in this thing together, and if we don't work together we will never get anywhere!

If you have any questions or would like to read the CoC you can find it here:

company.wizards.com/conduct

Remember, Keep it clean, Keep it nice, and of course Keep it fun!

Thank you for your understanding!

This ruling would be 100% more adorable if it were made by the ORC with a kitten avatar.
I hate dogs.