D&D movie coming soon?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
D&D: The Book of Vile Darkness, this website says, this movie will air in the US on 2012, Nov 24.

Apparently about two weeks away?

Does anyone know anything about this?

Last week WoTC Greg Blisland said on Twitter that on November 24 at 9PM, Syfy will premiere it.

Greg BilslandGreg Bilsland

On Saturday, November 24 at 9PM, @Syfy will premiere the Original Movie Dungeons and Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

this film does more harm to the image of D&D
We'll see.

I'll watch it when it comes out. But I imagine it will be terrible.
   I watched the new D&D movie that premiered on the Syfy channel. I liked it.
   I watched the new D&D movie that premiered on the Syfy channel. I liked it.

Yeah, the movie turned out to be great. The acting was noticeably good.
Those weren't your typical Dudley Do Rights Smile

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Im still trying to figure out what the grey guy is.
Goliath Barbarian i'd say

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Thanks....
What a horrible, horrible movie...from the atrociously bad acting to the incoherent "story" to the garish costumes (highlight: the assassins leather "armour") and glaringly fake scenery, I was shaking my head in disbelief the whole time and I watched the two previous D&D movies! I could not watch this eyesore to the end, the movie won a few minutes, because of, yeah, ****....

When will somebody do something deserving with the D&D franchise, be it movie or videogames...this has so much potential! WHY?!
Any D&D movie is going to be slightly campy, you have to expect that.

The oft-maligned scene in the magic item shop "The Adventurer's Vault" is a direct tongue-in-cheek nod to actual D&D gameplay.  Has anyone ever thought about how contrived and meta-gamey it actually is to buy magic items?  "Hey, I want to turn in my Gloves of Dexterity +2 for Gloves of Dexterity +4"

I found he movie entertaining.  The acting and writing were leaps and bounds better than the first 2.

I had only 3 major complaints:

1-The ending.  The movie was doing ok, and was engaging until the last 5 minutes.  It almost seemed like the movie just...stopped.

2-Monsters.  There was only one D&D monster (a type of dragonspawn which appears in the 4e BoVD supplement), and I would have liked to see at least a few more monsters.

3-Shasurak.  Really this is just a specific compaint related to #2.  The BoVD supplement contains an adventure that ties into the movie and states that Shasurak was a Mind Flayer.  The way they represented him in the movie was original and intriguing (and perfectly reasonable as an illusion that Shasurak was using to disguise his appearance), but I would have liked to see the squid head.
Any D&D movie is going to be slightly campy, you have to expect that.

The oft-maligned scene in the magic item shop "The Adventurer's Vault" is a direct tongue-in-cheek nod to actual D&D gameplay.  Has anyone ever thought about how contrived and meta-gamey it actually is to buy magic items?  "Hey, I want to turn in my Gloves of Dexterity +2 for Gloves of Dexterity +4"

I found he movie entertaining.  The acting and writing were leaps and bounds better than the first 2.

1-The ending.  The movie was doing ok, and was engaging until the last 5 minutes.  It almost seemed like the movie just...stopped.

2-Monsters.  There was only one D&D monster (a type of dragonspawn which appears in the 4e BoVD supplement), and I would have liked to see at least a few more monsters.

3-Shasurak.  Really this is just a specific compaint related to #2.  The BoVD supplement contains an adventure that ties into the movie and states that Shasurak was a Mind Flayer.  The way they represented him in the movie was original and intriguing (and perfectly reasonable as an illusion that Shasurak was using to disguise his appearance), but I would have liked to see the squid head.

My guess is rights. A producer (yeah, this happens alot) my only be able to hold onto the rights if they produce a film ever 5 years, 8 years, etc. They can crank out a crappy Sci-Fi (or is it Scy-Fy?) movie every once in a while in hopes to get backing to do a $200 million+ film in a few years... This is speculation but it's right on for hollywood... 
I found he movie entertaining.

Ditto

Ditto

The sad truth is that this is actually one of the rare times in Hollywood in which a Dungeons and Dragons movie with some substance could actually be made and made well. I have yet to understand the reasoning behind not doing a DnD film. It is one of the few notable franchises that has not been recently tapped for a film and is also one with enough actual story content to make a 5-6 film series. The first three R.A. Salvatore novels alone could generate huge revenue, be it live action or CGI.]

I guess DnD wants to fade into obscurity as console games and casual games become more and more popular.

Its rather depressing, if you think about it. All those terrible movies from Hollywood each year and the best they can get is a really bad Syfy flick. 

The sad truth is that this is actually one of the rare times in Hollywood in which a Dungeons and Dragons movie with some substance could actually be made and made well. I have yet to understand the reasoning behind not doing a DnD film. It is one of the few notable franchises that has not been recently tapped for a film and is also one with enough actual story content to make a 5-6 film series. The first three R.A. Salvatore novels alone could generate huge revenue, be it live action or CGI.]

I guess DnD wants to fade into obscurity as console games and casual games become more and more popular.

Its rather depressing, if you think about it. All those terrible movies from Hollywood each year and the best they can get is a really bad Syfy flick. 

It's a problematic property right now.  Due to the 4th edition events,  any attempt to make a movie means you have a fraction of the audience you had when the original D&D movie was made,  and you start out with built-in negative word of mouth.  Same thing for games. 

A distressed property is asking for trouble,  it carries alot of baggage.  For it to be viable,  WOTC needs to resolve the divide and grow the property again.

Plus,  I wouldn't bet on consoles and *definitely* wouldn't bet on casual games.  Historically,  consoles tend to burn out their players and fade,  something we're seeing right now as the market drops large double digit percentages month-after-month.  Casual games come and go,  and generally sell on a novelty factor.  The person playing farmville or angry birds is unlikely to go out and by more games.  We've seen this also throughout history (Pac-man,  Super Mario,  Myst,  The Sims,  Bejeweled,  Peggle,  etc).  Casuals are completely unpredictable and very inconsistent.

As far as D&D video games go,  as I touched on above,  no one wants to buy a license and invest millions to have to defend themselves from the edition wars.  Until we get back to what we saw in 1st edition through 3rd edition,  where the current edition was widely accepted it's just a bad risk for a developer.

What could you do?  Use 3rd edition and have the 4th edition players flame?  Vice-versa?  It's not worth the hassal for the fraction of the players it gets you.      
The fraction of players you do or do not draw in is beside the point, the point is to draw in a new audience that is composed largely of children or young adults who have NO experience with the Dungeons and Dragons brand aside from the rare pop culture reference. What you need to do is generate and cast a worthwhile movie at theatres (Which is not an impossibility by an means) or release a new video game that once again draws basic attention back to the game's purer form.  

Is it true that Dungeons and Dragons as a game is suffering? Yes, of course, but the biggest problem it has always faced is the stigma inherent in it's design and in the way it is offered. Admittedly the old method of distribution was troubled by the sheer cost of creating/shipping/selling a product whose time has passed but new advances such as the Kindle and the Ipad change all of that. Does this mean you will see one Dungeons and Dragons Compendium style offering instead of dozens of different digital guides as well as the "paper" copies in what bookstores still exist? 

As for the console market, lets be honest. There isn't a single console based Dungeons and Dragons game that i can think of which offers the rich depth and complexity of the Forgotten Realms universe, the Ebarron Universe or even the GreyHawk Universe. I can however point to the major and long running popularity of Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy and Knights of the Old Republic as evidence that these kind of games are worth the time and investment and in many ways can reinvigorate a brand that has lost alot of its appeal because of its pen and paper format.

Even basic Xbox Arcade versions of a game like Baldur's gate or Neverwinter Nights could generate new interest in the game's core, i know one or two who played Daggerdale and weren't completely turned off. There is also DDO and the continuing work on Neverwinter to consider, and while i understand the many reasons that such games cannot be ported directly to the xbox or ps3 i still don't see why one developed for such systems with an eye towards co operative role playing is too far fetched an idea.