Conquest Of Nerath

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK so I'm thinking of getting Conquest of Nerath. But I was wondering if it was worth getting. '
I usually enjoy playing strategy games like Britannia and Risk, although I'm usually not the victorious one.

So what I'm wondering is really this. Is it fun to play? Does it relly heavily upon luck? Etc etc. One of my favorite things about Lords of Waterdeep for example is that even though I seldom win i find it fun to play.
It is well worth it and the fun factor i found amongst those i play with to be high.
There is luck always involved in these type of games, but it is not high as it is
in risk.
There are so many added factors that make this game better.
- fantasy setting if you care for
- different troop types with different needed rolls
- dungeons to reveal that give bonuses
- four different races that play well into their own setting and strategy
I liked playing it and it depends really not only the role dice; but also your actual game strategy and card you hold.
Its a thumb up reason to buy it.
This game is really fun and I overwhelming favor it over Risk or Axis and Allies, but there's a few things to keep in mind:

- the short and mid-length games use victory point win conditions (as opposed to total victory). This means that the strategies for short and mid-length games are very different, and in my opinion, kind of wonky. Don't assume that because the box says you can play in 2 hours that you're getting the full on experience in such a short amount of time.

- Playing the full game (victory by domination) can take a long time. I've had games last 6 and 7 hours which is a fine way to spend a rainy day, but can make for late nights if you are an evening player.

- Turn lengths can be excessive (up to 20 to 30 minutes) which means that in a 4 player game you wait a LONG time for your turn to come around. The best way to play is 2 player where each person controls two factions as allies.

- You need a really large playing surface. The game board is big and you'll need to room to arrange all of your unused minis, cards, gold tokens, etc. as well somewhere to roll those fistfulls of dice.

- If you don't already have a few sets of polyhedral dice (stnd. RPG dice) you should really buy at least 2 or 3 extra sets. This speeds up game play immensely.

This is a really fun game, but it's not for everyone. Read some of the review over at boardgamegeek before you buy.