The way it works is this:
- You use Winged Horde with the Enlarged Spell. This causes it to do 1d6+3-2 radiant damage (minimum of 2 radiant) to all hit enemies in a 7x7 square within 10 squares of you. Enemies hit can't take opportunity actions, so after your initial volley you should be able to use this even if an enemy is right next to you.
- These hit enemies are -2 to their next attack roll and an additional -2 to attack your allies (for up to -4), and gain vulnerable radiant 10.
- If they start focing on you, you've done your job as a defender. If they try to ignore you and attack your allies, they take 27 radiant damage (12 from your divine challenge, 5 from Mighty Challenge feat, & 10 from Morninglord vulnerability).
- If you attack and hit them again, they now take 12-17 radiant damage, -4 to hit (-5 if you wanted to throw in Mark of Warding), and you can impose your divine sanction on any enemy adjacent to any enemy you hit. This allows you to mark anyone who slips through your net and do an additional 12 radiant damage to anyone already afflicted by your challenge (for a potential of 39 radiant damage for attacking an ally).
I have two major concerns wtih the mechanics of this build:
- Does divine challenge react to any mark you placed, regardless of how you've accomplished this? Or does it only hit enemies who've been hit by your divine challenge mark specifically?
- Does divine sanction damage stack with divine challenge damage or just replace it as the mark does?
I've been on these forums for a couple of years, but this is my first time posting anything. Thanks for looking everyone!
The build (at level 16)
Mass Mark, level 16
Half-Elf, Paladin, Morninglord
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Knight Hospitaler
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 11, DEX 12, INT 11, WIS 14, CHA 22
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 8, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 16
AC: 31 Fort: 27 Ref: 25 Will: 28
HP: 127 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 31
Diplomacy +21, Heal +15, Insight +17, Religion +13
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +8, Athletics +9, Bluff +14, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +4, History +8, Intimidate +14, Nature +10, Perception +10, Stealth +5, Streetwise +14, Thievery +5
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Knight Hospitaler Utility: Shield of Devotion
Paladin Feature: Divine Mettle
Paladin Feature: Divine Strength
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Paladin Feature: Lay on Hands
Wizard Attack 1: Winged Horde
Paladin Attack 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin Utility 2: Call of Challenge
Heal Utility 2: Iron Resurgence
Paladin Attack 3: Mocking Smite
Paladin Attack 5: Name of Might
Paladin Utility 6: Wrath of the Gods
Paladin Attack 7: Price of Cowardice
Paladin Attack 9: Ray of Reprisal
Morninglord Attack 11: Pure Glow
Morninglord Utility 12: Rising Sun
Paladin Attack 13: Castigating Strike
Paladin Attack 15: True Nemesis
Insight Utility 16: Insightful Riposte
Level 1: Adept Dilettante
Level 2: Enlarge Spell
Level 4: Defending Dabbler
Level 8: Devout Protector Expertise
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Resounding Thunder
Level 12: Arcane Admixture
Level 14: Contagious Challenge
Level 16: Mighty Challenge
Plate Armor x1
Heavy Shield x1
Sun Disk of Pelor +3 x1
====== End ======