1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Manamorphose maybe?
Manamorphose maybe?

Not likely. More likely stuff along the lines of Wild Hunger that kills your opponent quickly. Death triggers and sacrificing can also be a theme, since terrorists often run suicide attacks.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Manamorphose maybe?

Not likely. More likely stuff along the lines of Wild Hunger that kills your opponent quickly. Death triggers and sacrificing can also be a theme, since terrorists often run suicide attacks.

Since when did the Gruul become terrorists?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
maybe they'll have creatures like ball lightning

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Manamorphose maybe?

When they started attacking people? They're sympathetic, but they weren't exactly nice people.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
I'm really having my hopes up to see Gruul as aggressive as Rakdos is right now.
I kinda have a hard time imagining it though (because Rakdos is really damn aggressive with the Unleash mechanic).
-
I also hope that they're the most aggressive guild of Gatecrash (because the other candidate being Boros is also going to be released at the same time. While I also love Boros, I think that Gruul deserves to be more aggressive, just for flavor's sake, and also the fact that red/green just seems more leaning towards aggressivity than red/white is).
-
So that being said, I still have no idea as to how they'd do this (if they do). It's sure that Bloodthirst isn't coming back, nor is Battle Cry (the guild's have new mechanics of their own so...).
I'm hoping it'll have something to do with haste, or something that makes your spells cheaper if you manage to damage your opponent (like Rakdos' [the guildleader] current ability, I think it'll kinda suit Gruul, plus it synergizes with Bloodthirst, their previous mechanic).
Even though the idea above seems good, I think it has a high probabilty not getting implemented, since it's Rakdos' [the guildleader] current ability. I mean, it'd be weird to have a whole mechanic for Gruul and that the Rakdos guildleader has it...
-
Long story short : I have high expectations of Gruul, especially in terms of aggressiveness.
Manamorphose maybe?

When they started attacking people? They're sympathetic, but they weren't exactly nice people.

I didn't say they were nice. Attacking people doesn't make them terrorists. They're mostly barbarians.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
What about a Hellrider-like mechanic?

Something along the lines of:

Pillage - Whenever this creature attacks deal 1 damage to defending player. 
What about a Hellrider-like mechanic?

Something along the lines of:

Pillage - Whenever this creature attacks deal 1 damage to defending player. 

That actually isn't bad, would also give a ton of synergy with Bloodthirst.
I think that pseudo trample would be a little out of hand in limited.  
The Gruul's whole thing is destroy society, though. From what I remember, there were Gruul rebellions that the Orzhov had trouble with in Guildpact.
139359831 wrote:
My bro and myself came up with this:

Keyword N - Whenever this creature becomes blocked, it gets +N/+0 until end of turn.

This of course works best with trample but can also work with first strike and double strike.

That's basically Bushido, but not as good.
I could see them finally keywording that, just a weaker Bushido.  It would still be mean with First Strike/Double Strike/Trample.  Also: Predatory Rampage.    
Developers don't like stuff like that because then nobody ever blocks.
It's like First Strike, Deathtouch - "Let 'em through, boys! Nothing to see here"
What I meant was "Keyword N - Whenever this creature becomes blocked by a creature, it gets +N/+0 until end of turn". The intent is to make it cumulative while Bushido only triggers once a turn if I'm not mistaken.

Bushido gives a toughness boost as well, as well as triggering whenever the creature blocks or becomes blocked.  That's why it's weaker.  Also slightly reminiscent of Rampage.  And @ Minus_Prime, why wouldn't the developers like that?  It's just a decision you have to make, it's not OP at all.  The most recent card i can think of with a similar ability is Ichorclaw Myr, which wasn't hard to deal with.  
What I meant was "Keyword N - Whenever this creature becomes blocked by a creature, it gets +N/+0 until end of turn". The intent is to make it cumulative while Bushido only triggers once a turn if I'm not mistaken.

just add trample.

Raging Minotaur

Rampage 2: Whenever ~ is blocked by a creature, ~ gets +2/+0 and trample until the end of the turn.

3/3

or make a mechanic that's like Golgari Decoy 

198732583 wrote:
Kird Ape maybe?
Bushido gives a toughness boost as well, as well as triggering whenever the creature blocks or becomes blocked.  That's why it's weaker.  Also slightly reminiscent of Rampage.  And @ Minus_Prime, why wouldn't the developers like that?  It's just a decision you have to make, it's not OP at all.  The most recent card i can think of with a similar ability is Ichorclaw Myr, which wasn't hard to deal with.  

No, it says "When <em></em>this blocks or becomes blocked, it gets +N/+N until end of turn", not "whenever". MTG Salvation's article for Bushido explains that it only triggers once. If you can get multiple combat phases a turn, Bushido might be able to stack, but not based on the number of blocking creatures. If it checked each individual blocker, it would say "blocked by a creature" as Infiltration Lens does.

No, it says "When <em></em>this blocks or becomes blocked, it gets +N/+N until end of turn", not "whenever". MTG Salvation's article for Bushido explains that it only triggers once. If you can get multiple combat phases a turn, Bushido might be able to stack, but not based on the number of blocking creatures. If it checked each individual blocker, it would say "blocked by a creature" as Infiltration Lens does.

Sorry, i wasn't thinking about stacking, i was pointing out that it's offensive and defensive, as well as adding toughness.  
And @ Minus_Prime, why wouldn't the developers like that?  It's just a decision you have to make, it's not OP at all.  The most recent card i can think of with a similar ability is Ichorclaw Myr, which wasn't hard to deal with.  

I forget who wrote it, but there was an article/column talking about abilities that penalize people for blocking. End result is very little interaction - just two players swinging back and forth at each other.
I see. A different mechanic for Gruul would be preferable, then.

Hmm...How about this:

Keyword (Whenever this creature attacks, target creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.)

Or a variation with a variable:

Keyword N (Whenever this creature attacks, target creature gets +N/+0 until end of turn.)

So that being said, I still have no idea as to how they'd do this (if they do). It's sure that Bloodthirst isn't coming back, nor is Battle Cry (the guild's have new mechanics of their own so...). I'm hoping it'll have something to do with haste, or something that makes your spells cheaper if you manage to damage your opponent (like Rakdos' [the guildleader] current ability, I think it'll kinda suit Gruul, plus it synergizes with Bloodthirst, their previous mechanic).

If my memory is correct, a while back an article was posted that talked about the different guild mechanics that appeared in Return to Ravnica and how they went through their design process to come up with each of them. It was said that prior to coming up with Unleash for Rakdos they had a different idea called Paincast. Ultimately they decided to go with Unleash for Rakdos, but it was said that Paincast still made it into their plans for the set and it was suggested to look at Rakdos himself for an idea of how Paincast would work.

Now development could have certainly changed since then and this ability won't show up, but I can easily see Paincast fitting for Gruul since it would function similar to Bloodthirst. (Get a big creature for a cheaper price by dealing damage to an opponent.)
So that being said, I still have no idea as to how they'd do this (if they do). It's sure that Bloodthirst isn't coming back, nor is Battle Cry (the guild's have new mechanics of their own so...). I'm hoping it'll have something to do with haste, or something that makes your spells cheaper if you manage to damage your opponent (like Rakdos' [the guildleader] current ability, I think it'll kinda suit Gruul, plus it synergizes with Bloodthirst, their previous mechanic).

If my memory is correct, a while back an article was posted that talked about the different guild mechanics that appeared in Return to Ravnica and how they went through their design process to come up with each of them. It was said that prior to coming up with Unleash for Rakdos they had a different idea called Paincast. Ultimately they decided to go with Unleash for Rakdos, but it was said that Paincast still made it into their plans for the set and it was suggested to look at Rakdos himself for an idea of how Paincast would work. Now development could have certainly changed since then and this ability won't show up, but I can easily see Paincast fitting for Gruul since it would function similar to Bloodthirst. (Get a big creature for a cheaper price by dealing damage to an opponent.)

Raging Minotaur

Trample
Paincast - : You may cast ~ for it's paincast cost only if an opponent was dealt combat damage this turn.

5/5 

this would make trample extremely popular for gruul 

198732583 wrote:

Raging Minotaur

Trample
Paincast - : You may cast ~ for it's paincast cost only if an opponent was dealt combat damage this turn.

5/5 

A 5/5 trampler that could consistently be brought out turn 3?  No way.  Looking at Rakdos, Lord of Riots, i'd think your minotaur would at least need all colors in his mana costs.  
I could see them finally keywording that, just a weaker Bushido.  It would still be mean with First Strike/Double Strike/Trample.  Also: Predatory Rampage.    

I love this. Green gets a pseudo-Edict when the other colors are winning the game.
139359831 wrote:

I love this. Green gets a pseudo-Edict when the other colors are winning the game.

Then just play Overrun and shut up.

Raging Minotaur

Trample

5/5 

A 5/5 trampler that could consistently be brought out turn 3?  No way.  Looking at Rakdos, Lord of Riots, i'd think your minotaur would at least need all colors in his mana costs.  

the card isn't realistic, i know. i was just making an example for the mechanic and what it could look like :P

maybe the card should enter the field tapped if it's cast for it's paincast cost? or only be able to play it if the opponent took a certain amount of damage? (or more)

198732583 wrote:

Yes, I'll play Overrun in the Extended tournament. Wait, why am I the only one here?
139359831 wrote:

Yes, I'll play Overrun in the Extended tournament. Wait, why am I the only one here?

Then pick another 5 drop, it's not like every colour is able to win the game besides green.
My take on a new Gruul Mechanic:

BESERK (Super Trample)

Example:

"Frontline Breaker {3RG}
Creature - Giant Bear

Trample, Beserk (Whenever this creature becomes blocked, it fights the creature with the highest power blocking it. All damage dealt to that creature beyond lethal damage is dealt to that creature's controller).

4/4"

What do you think, pretty neat Huh?

Then pick another 5 drop, it's not like every colour is able to win the game besides green.

In limited, it is.
139359831 wrote:

In limited, it is.

Green is one of my top 3 favorite colors to draft, and it's been very good to me over the years.  You aren't good at drafting/playing it.   
And I know seven other guys that aren't. More than that, really, but seven other guys that aren't good at drafting it appear every draft. The guy who drafts green because "Hey, I get all of one color!" ends up, well, at best, sixth place.
139359831 wrote:
Colors play different in each set, so it doesn't make sense to make the blanket statement that green is awful in every draft.  Blue and white are my 2 least favorite colors, but i still went undefeated in draft last week with an Azorious deck.  You have to be adaptable.  You can't play green, and don't know how to adapt, end of story.     
I won multiple drafts in M13 limited drafting red/green, it was an incredibly powerful combination. In RtR Selesnya is one of the stronger guilds but I usually wind up going any combination of Rakdos/Izzet/Azorius so I admittedly don't touch green a lot.
Colors play different in each set, so it doesn't make sense to make the blanket statement that green is awful in every draft.  Blue and white are my 2 least favorite colors, but i still went undefeated in draft last week with an Azorious deck.  You have to be adaptable.  You can't play green, and don't know how to adapt, end of story.     

And everyone else at my FLGS is the same way? *condescending chuckle*
139359831 wrote:

BESERK (Super Trample)

Example:

"Frontline Breaker {3RG}
Creature - Giant Bear

Trample, Beserk (Whenever this creature becomes blocked, it fights the creature with the highest power blocking it. All damage dealt to that creature beyond lethal damage is dealt to that creature's controller).

4/4"

how is this different from trample? maybe i'm not getting something, but it looks the same as trample

198732583 wrote:

BESERK (Super Trample)

Example:

"Frontline Breaker {3RG}
Creature - Giant Bear

4/4"

how is this different from trample? maybe i'm not getting something, but it looks the same as trample

If I understand correctly, it's Trample but that ignores multiple blockers, only having to deal lethal to the creature with the highest power rather than all blockers.
Sign In to post comments