Ral Zarek Wallpaper discovered

34 posts / 0 new
Last post

So, this was turned up in the Art Fight app. Didn't see it around, so here you are.
Ral Zarek has a pretty awesome design.
Looks like Nivix Guildmage to me.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

His face is a bit too Dack Fayden / Venser-ish for my taste. You can do differently, Eric Deschamps, I've seen it.

Overall, very sweet art.

Looks like Nivix Guildmage to me.

Check the arm's tatoo. It's Zarek.

From the previous Zarek's art:

[<o>]
This is so cool.  I can't wait to get an actual card representing Ral Zarek.  What's the deal with the Nivix Guildmage, anyway?  It looks like Ral- I always assumed it was.  It is him, right?
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Damnit Wizards, why do you have to make him SO SEXY!?

Sexiness isn't part of the Red/blue color pie, I call foul. I always mentally picture members of that guild being these unkempt, slightly crazy professor-types that have a leaning towards intelligence, clumsiness, and wild, overpoweing moments of inspiration. Looking at this picture, it's hard to tell he's even a member of izzet, he looks like a fricken super model!

I just want one unattractive planeswalker that isn't liliana vess.
This is so cool.  I can't wait to get an actual card representing Ral Zarek.  What's the deal with the Nivix Guildmage, anyway?  It looks like Ral- I always assumed it was.  It is him, right?

No. Everyone keeps making that assumption, and while there is a very vague resemblance, they don't really look much like each other.
Just compare the two side by side, you're realize that.

No. Everyone keeps making that assumption, and while there is a very vague resemblance, they don't really look much like each other.

just did, i can still believe that nivix guildmage could be him

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Ral has more skunk stripes that the guildmage.
I'm pretty sure it's him.  Facts: On the RtR League Deckboxes, 4 of them had guild leaders, but the fifth one had "Nivix Guildmage" instead of Niv-Mizzet.  Why do this when Niv-Mizzet is an extremely popular character in the first place?  The Game Day playmat also had the "Nivix Guildmage" on it, instead of a popular character or a guild-neutral character (Jace, Vraska, Worldspine Wurm, or something would've made sense).  The Game Day posters sent to stores had "Nivix Guildmage" on it.  He's being pushed very dedicatedly, more-so than either characters on the RtR image that revealed the set name (the shot with Jace and Niv, of course).  I'm like 95% sure it's Ral Zarek.  It wouldn't make sense to be a "nobody".  
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
With how much they're pushing him, hopefully the other guilds will get one new person (champions perhaps) equally as pushed.
IMAGE(http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p268/TsengFox/20804.jpg)

Vague resemblance?  They look like the same dude.  Give Ral a goatee, grow his hair out and give him some Just For Men, and he's Nivix Guildmage.  Also, someone mentioned the tattoo being the distinguishing factor.  You can't even see the Guildmage's right arm to make that distinction.  If it's not him, the art department's being lazy.

Well.. Jace4 looks nothing like Jace1 nor does Elspeth1&2, so it seems to me that more than a "vague resemblance" is not needed anyway.
Different artists, different styles.
Wow Ral Zarek looks pretty suave in that art.

No doubt about it, it has to be Ral Zarek - There are many details that would be too much of a coincidence if it wasn't him (eg. the arm tattoos).

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Wow Ral Zarek looks pretty suave in that art.

No doubt about it, it has to be Ral Zarek - There are many details that would be too much of a coincidence if it wasn't him (eg. the arm tattoos).

I don't think anyone's doubting that that's Ral Zerek; the argument is that he is pictured in the art for Nivix Guildmage.

Also, Ral Zerek just seems to be a a boring placeholder for Venser, the Handsome since they decided to off him.  Side note:  I want an obese planeswalker. 

Ral Zarek, Niz mizzet planeswalker form? we'll be getting the planeswalker card in sinker
Ral Zarek, Niz mizzet planeswalker form?

NOPE
I do think we'll get Ral Zarek in Sinker, but he isn't a form of Niv-Mizzet.  I'm curious if he might actually revolt and try to take command of the Izzet League.  That'd be some interesting storyline shenanigans.
I do think we'll get Ral Zarek in Sinker, but he isn't a form of Niv-Mizzet.  I'm curious if he might actually revolt and try to take command of the Izzet League.  That'd be some interesting storyline shenanigans.

I'm not sure how well that would turn out for Ral.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

More than likely not well, but then again, Niv Mizzet is isn't a planeswalker.  Maybe that's exactly what it would take.  I don't care if we get a Ral Zarek in this set and then they kill him.  I just want a Ral Zarek planeswalker card.  Gone should be the days when there are planeswalkers in the storyline, and they don't get cards representing them.  On that note, where the **** is Dack Fayden's card?

More than likely not well, but then again, Niv Mizzet is isn't a planeswalker.  Maybe that's exactly what it would take.  I don't care if we get a Ral Zarek in this set and then they kill him.  I just want a Ral Zarek planeswalker card.  Gone should be the days when there are planeswalkers in the storyline, and they don't get cards representing them.  On that note, where the **** is Dack Fayden's card?

Oh he is absolutely going to get a card. But planeswalker or not Niv Mizzet would eat him for breakfast.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I'm pretty sure it's him.  Facts: On the RtR League Deckboxes, 4 of them had guild leaders, but the fifth one had "Nivix Guildmage" instead of Niv-Mizzet.  Why do this when Niv-Mizzet is an extremely popular character in the first place?  The Game Day playmat also had the "Nivix Guildmage" on it, instead of a popular character or a guild-neutral character (Jace, Vraska, Worldspine Wurm, or something would've made sense).  The Game Day posters sent to stores had "Nivix Guildmage" on it.  He's being pushed very dedicatedly, more-so than either characters on the RtR image that revealed the set name (the shot with Jace and Niv, of course).  I'm like 95% sure it's Ral Zarek.  It wouldn't make sense to be a "nobody".  

The Nivix Guildmage is NOT Ral.
Ral is, however a guildmage. However, the character shown on Nivix Guildmage is not the planeswalker in question.
1) He has a goatee and his hair is different.
2) The clothing is not the same, you can see that clearly and to date they have only changed the clothing of two walkers in substantial ways... and both of those times were AFTER the character had been established, which though they've touched on Ral, they haven't given him his time in the sun yet.
3) The Nivix Guildmage has two differently colored eyes. That's not something they're going to be changing around and Ral has blue eyes exclusively.

Vague resemblance?  They look like the same dude.  Give Ral a goatee, grow his hair out and give him some Just For Men, and he's Nivix Guildmage.  Also, someone mentioned the tattoo being the distinguishing factor.  You can't even see the Guildmage's right arm to make that distinction.  If it's not him, the art department's being lazy.

You realize that you're not helping your point. You say specifically "If they changed him in the following ways, he would look like the character we are talking about"
Hell, if you gave Ral boobs and dyed his hair red, he'd be Chandra.

For the record as well, here is the full art of Nivix Guildmage.
If you actually look, there is a NOTABLE difference between the two. Much more than 95%
Ral Zarek, Niz mizzet planeswalker form? we'll be getting the planeswalker card in sinker

Called the planeswalker card in sinker:
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Gone should be the days when there are planeswalkers in the storyline, and they don't get cards representing them.

Gone should be the days of Planeswalkers in the story lines period.....
Knew he was going to be the planeswalker in the 3rd set. I guess they didnt want to include him in Return to Ravnica as not to have 2 blue plansewalkers. I hope he plays a significant role storylinewise. I don't think he could take over the Izzet leauge. I could see a storyline where Niv is trying to harness Ral's spark or something. 
Knew he was going to be the planeswalker in the 3rd set. I guess they didnt want to include him in Return to Ravnica as not to have 2 blue plansewalkers. I hope he plays a significant role storylinewise. I don't think he could take over the Izzet leauge. I could see a storyline where Niv is trying to harness Ral's spark or something. 

Niv doesn't know about Ral's spark, at least not yet.

All of the other guildmages are nobodies.  They probably just pushed that art because it's really cool looking, and has a lot going on.  Cards that depict walkers usually reference the walker in text.     
There are plenty of cards that only reference them in art, too. One is not mutually exclusive. And the others are nobodies, but they aren't being pushed like "Nivix Guildmage" is, so that lends more credence to the possibility that it's Ral than it does the opposite.
There are plenty of cards that only reference them in art, too. One is not mutually exclusive. And the others are nobodies, but they aren't being pushed like "Nivix Guildmage" is, so that lends more credence to the possibility that it's Ral than it does the opposite.

Yeah, except for the fact that Ral looks different.
But there again, something to chew on. They aren't pushing the Nivix guildmage on the booster packs, which feature EVERY OTHER guildmage except him. The Izzet are represented by Niv.
So, why would they push all the others as the faces of their product, but relegate Nivix to promotional material that MOST of their consumers won't see?
The Nivix Guildmage is Bori Andon from The Seven Bells story series. Geez you guys.

The Seven Bells:
I'm calling the second Gatecrash Planeswalker as GW if Gideon is W, or Mono-G if Gideon is WR.

Former more likely than latter.
I'm calling the second Gatecrash Planeswalker as GW if Gideon is W, or Mono-G if Gideon is WR. Former more likely than latter.

I actually agree with this. But I think it should be mono green, since G/W is Selsyna's thing and its not in the right set for that.
I'm calling the second Gatecrash Planeswalker as GW if Gideon is W, or Mono-G if Gideon is WR. Former more likely than latter.

I actually agree with this. But I think it should be mono green, since G/W is Selsyna's thing and its not in the right set for that.

The set shouldn't have much to do with it, since the walker doesn't necessarily have to be guild aligned.  And being a mythic, it won't be in many draft pools either.  I agree on the colors tho.  It should have green in it, and G/W doesn't have a walker yet.    
Having seen the new GR Planeswalker, I am settling that Gideon is mono-white.

A WG walker still waits for the day it sees print.