3.5 Spells "Shield" variant?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings, Internet!

I'm DMing a group which includes a cleric focusing on protecting/shielding allies. She wants to be able to shield others from afar (e.g. "short" range), without taking the HP damage (as per the Shield Other spell). She just wants to bolster AC.

I guess what I'm saying is this: Is there a spell out there in 3.5 that acts as a Shield spell, but castable on allies at range?

Please let me know! Thanks!

All the best,

~Nos13~ 
Long live Brenthor, LN Lizardfolk Druid of Druiis. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
me love thog
Well, there's a 4th level version of shield of faith, mass which does that at your range of short.  
Damn. Neue beat me to it. I'd also point out that SoF gives a morale bonus, so it's still effective, no matter the armor & shield bonuses the rest of the party have.
I know this is more than what was asked for, but the possibility also exists of adding in Crusader (ToB) and taking Ruby Knight Vindicator as a PrC. Crusader is the only class that grants the Devoted Spirit school, and that also has a couple of shield counters to assis adjacent allies.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
You know what my wife just suggested?  I mentioned it to her and without even batting an eye, (and she has steadfastly refuses to play clerics), she said, "Oh, just make him cast spiritual weapon but a shield or parry (she said "block") and give it a person to protect instead of a person to attack".  

Ya'know, sometimes we make this game too complicated...

So there ya go...  spiritual shield... why not?  No reason not to even include the magic missile defense, since it's already a [force] effect too.

Well, there's a 4th level version of shield of faith, mass which does that at your range of short.  

Thanks! I think she was hoping it'd be available earlier, but she also needs to choose a feat for level 3. So I suppose Reach Spell or something similar would interest her.

I know this is more than what was asked for, but the possibility also exists of adding in Crusader (ToB) and taking Ruby Knight Vindicator as a PrC. Crusader is the only class that grants the Devoted Spirit school, and that also has a couple of shield counters to assis adjacent allies.

Thanks for the added info! The party's only level 3 and just recently deciding how they want their characters to progress. I'll pass this along, and see if it interests her.

Thanks again!

~Nos13~ 
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
me love thog
Although there are probably other spells that can provide a similiar net effect I believe a spell like you are asking for should be a higher level then you would like.  Here's how I'm seeing things:

Shield is a wiz/sor spell that has a range of personal.  If you want to make it a cleric spell I could say that would be +1 spell slot.  Turning it from personal into something you could cast on anyone would probably be another +1 slot and then adding the ability to do that a range could easily be a third +1.  Putting that all together you may be looking at a ranged Divine Shield anyone spell easily being 4th-level.  I'm sure we could argue the numbers but that is how I'm seeing it and it would be fairly consistent as Shield can actually be a fairly useful spell.
Mage Armour can be cast on anyone and lasts a whole hour/level, but it's a sucky armour bonus. Meanwhile so can Shield of Faith, and deflection is better than either. The flip-side is that it's only +2, but it's +3 at L6.

A Reach Shield of Faith would, IIRC, take up a L3 slot, or could be done with a Rod of Metamagic Reach (but that's expensive in 3.5) - I think Pathfinder made Reach a +1, and the lesser rod 3k, which is more reasonable.

IIRC there is a floating shield spell in the Spell Compendium and probably some other similar ones. One of those might do the trick. 
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I did a little more research, and found the feat Protective Ward (CChamp, p.61), which utilitzes a shield concept similar to that of which I was thinking. I'm going to strongly suggest this feat to our cleric, but I wanted to point this out to help clarify what I wanted in the spell.

So, on that note, is there a spell whose benefit is similar to that of what is offered through the Protective Ward feat?

Thanks again!

~Nos13~ 
I am Blue/White
me love thog
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I did a little more research, and found the feat Protective Ward (CChamp, p.61), which utilitzes a shield concept similar to that of which I was thinking. I'm going to strongly suggest this feat to our cleric, but I wanted to point this out to help clarify what I wanted in the spell.

So, on that note, is there a spell whose benefit is similar to that of what is offered through the Protective Ward feat?

Thanks again!

~Nos13~ 

Don't forget spells like

Bane: all enemies get -1 Attack (which protects your allies)

Protection from Evil +2 AC, +2 Saves

Summon Monster: can be sent to attack and flank enemies, and wil help keep some of the attacks off.

Doom, enemy gets -2 attack rolls  (indirectly defending yoru allies)

Now, these are hard to cast whie keeping way back, but you can buff the other PCs and then back off, either way you can be behind the other PCs when casting and then move further back after.

Level 2 spells, Bears Endurance +4 Con is +2 HP per the targets level, which is also a good protection, Hold Person (keeps an enemy off the PCs) resist energy, Summon Monster 2 fo an additiona protector, Consecrate (little costly and you have to sprinkle holy water everywhere. Aid gives temperary hp (which shields the from perhaps a blow or 2)      

The first thing that popped into my head was prestiging into War Weaver.  While you wouldn't be able to pump your personal protective spells (like shield) into the tapestry, you could fill it with other helpful spells (cures, resist energy, death ward, etc) and have one spell casting affect multiple compatriots.