Calculating Weapon damage

I am struggling to find clear rules on damage done by melee weapons. Can anyone confirm my suspicions that all you add to the damage roll is str bonus (unless finesse or ranged when it is dex).
Do you add the 'weapon attack bonus' as well?  Do 2h weapons add any damage?

I looked at the pregen, but it is unclear about 2h weapon:
Strength 16 (+3)
Dexterity 8 (–1)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 10 (+0)
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Charisma 12 (+1)

Attacks
Battleaxe +6; 1d10+3 slashing damage
Throwing axe (range 20/80) +6; 1d8 +3 slashingWhy does the throwing axe not key off Dex?

Thanks for any clarifications - have come late to the playtest party and am constructing a first character.
D&D - It will never be cool. Nor will I. I am still loved by most of the people I know well. So is D&D.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

In the equipment section it says you 'can' substitute Dex for finesse weapons. Which implies you could still use STR. Throwing axe is also listed as martial which says STR only in the eq section.
Currently running a playtest, weekly, online D&D Next Session using a virtual table system called roll20.
In addition, I do not believe there is a damage bonus (beyond the weapons inherently increased damage) for wielding a weapon in two hands.
Currently running a playtest, weekly, online D&D Next Session using a virtual table system called roll20.
Thanks for that. The organisation of this kind of basic rule seems a bit scattered throughout the different sections of the packet. Developers: put the basic rule for things like this in one place please, then add exceptions in the same place. This may lead to repetition but it will make things easier for players.
D&D - It will never be cool. Nor will I. I am still loved by most of the people I know well. So is D&D.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium