Golgari Decoy with deathtouch

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can a creature do zero damage to another creature and still kill it with deathtouch? 

For example, if I were to put deathtouch on a [C]Golgari Decoy[/C] would it clear the board (assuming there's no first strike or something that won't let it do it's damage), or would it only kill as many creatures as it has power?
in order for deathtouch to do something you need to deal damage
since Golgari Decoy has a power of 2 it can only kill 2 creatures (dealing 1 damage to each)
to clear the board you need to buff its power as well as giving it deathtouch
proud member of the 2011 community team
since Golgari Decoy has a power of 2 it can only kill 2 creatures (dealing 1 damage to each)

wait, when a creature is blocked by multiple creatures, doesn't it deal damage equal to it's power to each blocking creature? or is the attacking creatures power split between blocking creatures? 

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.

wait, when a creature is blocked by multiple creatures, doesn't it deal damage equal to it's power to each blocking creature? or is the attacking creatures power split between blocking creatures? 

It deals damage to the blocking creatures in order. It must do lethal damage to the first, and then it can deal damage to the second. It will only do as much damage as it has power.

It deals damage to the blocking creatures in order. It must do lethal damage to the first, and then it can deal damage to the second. It will only do as much damage as it has power.

what happens when that damage isn't lethal? and explain this then: "it can only kil 2 creatures (dealing 1 damage to each)"

198732583 wrote:
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

That article has a good explanation (with pictures!) on how damage assignment works.

When a creature has deathtouch, even one damage from it is lethal, so Golgari Decoy can deal one damage to any two of its blockers and kill them both.
Can a creature do zero damage to another creature and still kill it with deathtouch?

No, a creature cannot "do" (deal) zero damage, period.
119.8. If a source would deal 0 damage, it does not deal damage at all. That means abilities that trigger on damage being dealt won’t trigger. It also means that replacement effects that would increase the damage dealt by that source, or would have that source deal that damage to a different object or player, have no event to replace, so they have no effect.

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

That article has a good explanation (with pictures!) on how damage assignment works.

When a creature has deathtouch, even one damage from it is lethal, so Golgari Decoy can deal one damage to any two of its blockers and kill them both.

well i haven't been following the correct rules for blocking for a while :P but that link did help, thanks

198732583 wrote:
even tho you can only take two creatures out with the 2/2 its still not a bad combination.  throw a titanic growth or giant growth or use something that gives him counters....add the death touch and whammy even with a giant growth if say he blocked with six creatures you would knock five of them out...or more depending apon whichever you used... one vs. two or more....its not a bad trade.