Pcs fighting mirror copies

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I would like my pcs to flight mirror copies of themselves.  
It is part of a trap that they are getting pulled into their minds.
I was going to just have each of them keep track of 2 sets of hit points separately 
The trick is that as they fight the copies, I don't want them to know which is which.
Any powers that are used will be used up by each copy so each power can only be used in the battle once.

what do you think?  Any other ideas?  Problems foreseen?

This sounds good in theory, but falls apart in practice. PCs are ridiculously fragile creatures versus their own offense (which is why monsters have so many more hit points). It might be fun, but it will prove to be more of a time waster than a rewarding experience.

I would suggest something slightly different. Take elite monsters equivalent to the PCs in level and role and even "functionality" and reskin them to look and operate like the PCs. You run the monster twins and let the players run their PCs as they normally would.

For example:

• For a leader class, pick an elite leader monster of the same level.

• For melee strikers, pick an elite brute.

• For ranged strikers, pick an elite artillerist or a lurker.

• For controllers, pick an elite controller.

• For defenders, pick an elite soldier.

Then run the fight as you would any other encounter, having fun with the fact that the PCs need to make perception or insight checks to know who is who. Make it even more fun by ensuring that the monsters do NOT attack their mirror image, but rather, match themselves to the PC that is most susceptible to their function. Play the mirrors "to win". (You won't win, but play to win anyway.)
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I would like my pcs to flight mirror copies of themselves.  
It is part of a trap that they are getting pulled into their minds.
I was going to just have each of them keep track of 2 sets of hit points separately 
The trick is that as they fight the copies, I don't want them to know which is which.
Any powers that are used will be used up by each copy so each power can only be used in the battle once.

what do you think?  Any other ideas?  Problems foreseen?

Yeah 4e PC's fighting 4e PC's doesn't work. 4e sucks for any pvp like options. We have done arena style 4e where our PC's fought, and it sucked. I was getting 80 hp from me sapped and I was stunned and slowed. Don't do it. Of course the battle wasn't for real it was a after game thing we started talking about doing PvP.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Sign In to post comments