Planeswalker Target question

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
My brother has Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker in play, and his friend has Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas in play. My brother wanted to know if he's allowed to target Tezzeret with Nicol Bolas' "+3: Destroy target noncreature permanent" ability.
Is a planeswalker a creature?  No, as evidenced by the lack of the word "creature" in its type line.

Is a planeswalker a permanent?  Yes, because it enters the battlefield and remains there indefinitely once it has resolved, due to having a permanent type (the others of course being artifact, creature, enchantment, and land).

Yes, you can target a planeswalker with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker's first loyalty ability, since it is indeed a noncreature permanent. 
My brother has Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker in play, and his friend has Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas in play. My brother wanted to know if he's allowed to target Tezzeret with Nicol Bolas' "+3: Destroy target noncreature permanent" ability.

Did he give any indication as to why he might think he wouldnt be allowed to? Does he think Planeswalkers are creatures? Or non-permanents? (or players?)

Its a bit of a weird question without knowing why he asked it. 

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
I suppose it might be seen as weird for The Leader to dispense with his Agent.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

I suppose it might be seen as weird for The Leader to dispense with his Agent.

Next you'll be saying Last Laugh can't kill Masako the Humorless.
We were just uncertain of Planeswalkers rulings as far as how they can be targeted.
From what I understand, you can't target a Planeswalker directly with a Lightning Bolt, but you can choose to redirect the damage it would have done to a player to his/her Planewalker instead. Is that correct? 
Yes that's correct.
MTG Rules Advisor
From what I understand, you can't target a Planeswalker directly with a Lightning Bolt,  

Thats because it isnt a "creature" or a "player"... which are the exact criteria that would allow them to be targeted by Bolas' ability. ;)

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
but you can choose to redirect the damage it would have done to a player to his/her Planewalker instead. Is that correct? 

close, but not quite

you can choose to redirect non-combat damage that would be dealt to an opponent to a planeswalker controlled by that opponent

your opponent couldn't have you cast Bolt at yourself (via Mindslaver) and redirect it at your planeswalker

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out