World War Z

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
 so yeah.. Doesn't look like it's going to be very faithfull to the book,but I'll most likely still go see it. I do wonder if it will reference the ZSG or not...

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
No it doesn't look anything like the book, but it does look scary.  Think they'll show Yonkers? 

I thought the above movie still was a pile of leaves, not Zack.  Eeeep!

Lady NeferRa

Guaranteed to be less than 10% werewolf!

It looks awesome! I think the best part of WWZ was the combination of sweeping world-wide events with personal narratives and it seems that they are going to use the Brad Pitt character to do that.  My only problem is that they might make "Bradd Pitt, Action Hero" which will reduce the impact that the book had.

Also, completley unrelated, but after I had children, I am not enjoying post-apocalyptic zombie horror as much anymore. Does anyone else feel like that?

Mad Scientist
No.  There's no reason for it.  Read The Road (Cormac McCarthy) and maybe you'll feel a little differently.  No zombies but it's got stuff that's worse.  The book is a terribly depressing read overall but it's also beautiful.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

IAlso, completley unrelated, but after I had children, I am not enjoying post-apocalyptic zombie horror as much anymore. Does anyone else feel like that?

Nope. I'm enjoying post-apocalyptic zombie horror now as much as beforeb you had kids. I'm probably enjoying it more.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
 so yeah.. Doesn't look like it's going to be very faithfull to the book,but I'll most likely still go see it. I do wonder if it will reference the ZSG or not...

That actually looks pretty cool.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
No.  There's no reason for it.  Read The Road (Cormac McCarthy) and maybe you'll feel a little differently.  No zombies but it's got stuff that's worse.  The book is a terribly depressing read overall but it's also beautiful.

Well, I have been consciously avoiding both the book and the movie, because of the whole father/child thing. Might give it a go, though.
Mad Scientist
You're avoiding it for what makes it beautiful.  That's interesting.  The power of the story comes from that relationship.  It highlights the best of parental nature against a backdrop of the worst possible future a father and son would have to face.  Like, dood.  Your discomfort is preventing you from experiencing something that I do not doubt you'd find incredibly reinforcing. 

Anyhoo, the movie is pretty ok.  The book, though, is truly wonderful.  One of the best I've ever read - and I read a lot.  It's sad.  Very.  But there's something there for you.  Something powerful.

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

It looks pretty cool, but the trailer makes me think that it isn't WWZ. And a film really couldn't be. This looks like it will just be "Brad Pitt, Action Hero." Even the zombies are wrong; WWZ had the slow, shambling kind. I'll probably watch it, but I won't expect WWZ.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
... so yeah... that doesn't really look like zombies.  Or like World War Z.  Eh.
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
Bah, I don't care if it's like the book. It still looks cool.

I do wish they wouldn't ride on coattails of books and just make a cool movie. However, World War Z was written as an anthology of what happened during the zombiepocolypse, so it makes sense that a movie with the same title would actually depict said zobiepocolypse. I think it would have been cool to dramatize the stories, but it still looks cool enough that I'd want to go see it in the theatre, miss it, and then end up Netflixng it.

In related news, after years of not liking him for no good reason (I think because he was so built up to be the guy girls swoon over), I've come to realize that I do, actually, really like Brad Pitt. He does some cool movies.
Benevolent God of Death "No one told you when to run."
Yeah, as much as I hate him for being who he is, he's a damned fine actor.  I can't think of any movie I've seen with him in it that I don't like.

Section Six Soldier

Also, completley unrelated, but after I had children, I am not enjoying post-apocalyptic zombie horror as much anymore. Does anyone else feel like that?

Nope. In fact, about half the time I hope for it to happen. That being the time that I am home with my family. When I'm away from home I feel a bit differently.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Yeah, as much as I hate him for being who he is, he's a damned fine actor.  I can't think of any movie I've seen with him in it that I don't like.

There was Seven Years in Tibet My Seat. But overall, he does have good selection.

He was hilarious in that movie where he was a fitness instructor. The title escapes my mind right now and I'm too lazy to Google it. But he was funny.
Benevolent God of Death "No one told you when to run."
Sign In to post comments