How did you start your DnD group?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

How did your DnD group come to be? Did you join a group, and later become the DM, or did you and your friends start the group and decided you'd be the DM?

I'm curious because I am having a difficult time starting one.

I'm a freshmen in college, and with being so far away from home, my old group is no longer together. When I first got to the university, I thought I'd try to join a group. This is college after all; there has to be at least on group on campus looking for another player. Well, I looked. Everywhere. And I cannot find one. So, I thought I'd start my own! I've DMed before and I loved it.

I posted an ad on Craigslist about my new group. I made a ton of sweet-looking full-color posters complete with information about how to get a hold of me and I put them all over campus. It's been a while now. I check every day- my posters are still up. People always walk by them. But I haven't got one response.

Actually, that's a lie. A really old guy responded to my Craigslist post, even though it specifically said that I was looking for other university students.

I feel like most people would give me the advice to "ask your friends to play". Well, that's part of it. I haven't made many friends yet. I have not met anyone who plays DnD, or Magic, or likes anime, or plays video games. I'm not completely alone- I am a part of the karate association in this area and I have some friends from the studio (I am a music major), just no one who is interested in exploring some dungeons and fighting some dragons.

I'm starting to get very discouraged. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how to get a group off the ground. Any advice is very appreciated.

Bored out of your mind and looking for some entertainment? I've got you covered: http://ferrisbuellersnewkidney.blogspot.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/NintenDani7184
Did you put a phone number on your posters?

I started a group once by blanketing a fairly small campus with flyers and I got ten people asking to join in two days. Months later I would still get calls about it from totally random people who saw one of the flyers that evidently didn't get torn down. But they all called me, every single one. Nobody ever e-mailed me. 

Also, did you only put them on the message boards? Because if so, that's your mistake. Stick 'em everywhere, any time someone isn't looking at you just slap one up. It's prrrrrobably against the rules, but nobody will do anything beyond tear it down. And that'll take a day or three at the soonest. 
"One skilled at battle takes a stand in the ground of no defeat And so does not lose the enemy's defeat. Therefore, the victorious military is first victorious and after that does battle. The defeated military first does battle and after that seeks victory." -- the Art of War
Things were a lot different when I started my group, especially where D&D was concerned. It was....ohhh...a bit short of 30 years ago now. I was new in town, and didn't know anyone. While I was walking down the street, I exchanged greetings with a very tall, thin fellow about my own age. He just happened to have a book in his hand; a fantasy novel I'd read some months before. We got to talking about the book, and about 20 minutes later I asked him if he'd ever played D&D. He'd never heard of it, of course, but he got interested when I explained the concept. That evening we played a short introductory session, and he enjoyed himself. A few days later he asked if he could invite a couple of his friends over to play, and the rest is history.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
posted some ads on meetup which helped and some more in the looking for group section of these very forums.  Found some players and have been gaming with them ever since.  Before that I got into DnD via a teacher I had in high school, played with friends and still do.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I started the current 4e group I DM for (7 players plus me) when our previous DM left for the west coast. The group has grown by three after it shrank by two. I simply asked the players to invite a friend they would want to play with.

I once started a group by asking one friend to play, and asking that friend to invite one and "pass it on". When nine people showed up on the first night, I laid out some ground rules: no evil PCs, no XP (the party levels as a group between story arcs), and no psionics. The next session had six players and we were golden. That group lasted 18 months in a 3.5 campaign.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
You seem to have taken the most important step, being willing to DM! Finding the DM is the hardest. My current group is me and 3 friends who had never played RPGs before. That's the "ask your friends to play" approach you mention. I'm DMing for the first time out of necessity and I'm my favorite DM already (bar Chris perkins )

Did you try putting up a poster on your university's notice board? Those boards received a lot of attention in my university and anyone could put anything up. Also, are you on some mailing list? I played some Mage: the Awakening during college because a classmate of mine sent an email to the class announcing he was looking to form a group. I'd say you have the freedom to do that in a mailing list for students only. An email would be way more effective than Craigslist, just make sure such an email wouldn't break the list's email policy.

Anyway, you'll find people who share your interests soon enough, just don't be ashamed of bringing up the geeky things you love in conversations, it's the only way you'll know you're talking to a fellow nerd :P even good friends who are not into RPGs will be interested just for the company and time with friends. It took me 2 years being on the same major and doing classes together before I really struck a friendship with my best friend from college.

MeetUp.com worked for me. There was a group that met at a local mall, and I gamed with them a couple of times. Then the venue moved to a game store. I took a turn DMing whomever would show up, and I was in the middle of running Shadows of the Last War when 4th Edition was announced. Three of the regular players in that game and I decided to get together to try the new edition. We've gamed together ever since, along with a couple of others, up until a month or so ago when one of the original group had to leave.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

My current group, i met them from a gaming community thru IRC.  There are several 4e players on that community (and other PnP RPGs too.)  A person from that community actually DM a open campaing for teaching people to play the game every week, he is probably the RPG player i know with most experience, he did started with OD&D back on the day, but he actually played & DMed alot of diferent game systems during the years (i think his favorite system is champions, he prefer classless systems)
That's crazy to hear that you haven't had any replies to your posters on campus, I would think you'd get atleast a couple responses. I can only suggest you keep pushing the posters, give them a wide variety of ways to contact you, and perhaps advertise that you're more thna happy to teach new players and that's fun!

As for how My group got started; It had been about two years since I had been with a group, and while hanging out with a bunch of close, old friends dnd got brought up somehow, and most of them had either never played or played once, or a very long time ago, they all expressed a lot of interest in trying it out, and bam we had a full, tight, close knit group, so we're pretty fortunate.

That's a shame you've been having so much trouble, especially on a campus, it's almost bewildering.
Make sure you're putting your flyer in the right places on your campus.  Near any library, computer lab, large student meeting areas, and any places to get food.  As they say in real estate: location, location, location.

My most recent group was formed when friends: A, B, and C of my friends D and E wanted to start a game up.  Since D and E knew I had some experience with the system they asked me to help and join in, and after 2 sessions a week for a year it's turned out alright.

My first group was created by me saying to my friends, "Hey guys, this game is cool, want to try it?" 

Now I'm at uni, and I joined the gaming society at the societies fair. How many people are there at your college/campus? I'm really surprised there isn't already a group going.

"Encouraging your players to be cautious and risk-averse prevents unexpected epic events and-well-progress at a decent pace in general."-Detoxifier

"HOT SINGLES IN YOUR AREA NOT REGENERATING DUE TO FIRE" -iserith 

"If snapping a dragon's neck with your bare hands is playind D&D wrong, then I don't want to play D&D right." -Lord_Ventnor

I was fortunate in that we were already an established group - we got together to play board games, card games, Heroclix, whatever....every Thursday night. We were finding that cooperative games tended to be more enjoyable (less back-biting). My fiancee and I went to San Diego Comic Con and started playing LFR...and when I came home, I volunteered to start running D&D 4E. The rest is a History check.
I am currently playing in two groups. The first is a RPG club that meets regularly and all I had to do was show up. 

The second is based around my work, despite quite a few of us being gamers, it took months of gentle prodding and hinting before we admitted to having played D&D at all. We quickly decided to set up a regular game night, though.

The moral from this story is that it is a good idea to start with people you know. 
Mad Scientist

I do agree with Landovers that being willing to DM is a huge step towards being able to get a group.

I do find it hard that at any decent sized University, you would have a hard time finding people willing to play DnD. If after a while the posters and flyers don't work, search up a local card shop and check in with them. I know a few of the shops in my area not only host the DnD encounters, but also have free running groups that play there as well.

Good luck finding a group. I know the feeling when you want to play, but can't find a group to play with.

www.meetup.com is a GREAT site for finding individuals with similar interests.  I have found three gaming groups and a golf group through it.

A little history lesson - Meetup.com got started after the 9/11 attacks for victims to find each other and work through the tragedy together.  It has since exploded into a site that helps people find people in general.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Are you really "entitled to your opinion"?
RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.
When I first got into AD&D, I just asked some friends to play and we got a group together that met every week or so, and we played a bit at school during the lunch break.  Whenever I joined a table it was through one of the game stores around the city where I grew up.  I'm just now getting back into DnD, playing 4e, and I just asked around the friends and family I thought would be interested.  My wife and I have friends who are a couple who are into zombie movies and videogames, so that was a logical place to start.  My wife wasn't too into the idea until her best friend said that it sounded like fun, and she brought her boyfriend to play with us.  
I met ridiculous ammounts of people who play DND at college. Graduated in 2009 so it can't be that different. Once you find one group, the ammount of other groups people know spirals big time. Off the top of my head I can think of 8 distinct groups I knew and a "RPG Club" that I didn't know anyone in, but would assume had players. (Once you find some people, they also know people who play, who also know people who play). Didn't mean to brag, meant to come off as encouraging... 

I met groups a few ways.

1.  Don't hide that you play. Seems obvious, but if you hide it, people wont know. I kept a stack of books on my dresser and found out a couple people who lived down the hall played. When they came by to make me go to some hall meeting thing I was trying to skip.

2. Don't shut your door if you are in the room. Especially your first semester. I met tons of people who just wandered by, saw what i was watching/playing and popped in. Some wierd-os sure, but worth it. This isn't to meet DND players, but people in general. during the first semester in a freshman dorm no one knows anyone, and everyone is looking to meet people. 

3. Go to any club that sounds interesting. I met my current (main) group of dnd players at a Sci-fi/Anime club (good combo). DM at the time was asking if anyone wanted to join her game as a cleric because they wanted a healbot. I joined as a rogue who had nothing to do with healing. I know people from computer club, and the "religious tolerance club" my now wife was in that also played. Again, I'd assume that RPG club had groups too but thats pretty obvious. 

4. Talk to people in your classes. My major was history, so maybe we had a heavy lean towards RPGs already, but I met a group of people who play when they brought in a diarama for a project and used DND Minis. 

5. Find a comic book store. If one exists near you at all they are almost always near colleges. My DND group used to buzz through it every friday before our game (back on campus) and pick up some books/dice/minis. Other groups play there regularly. The important part is you will see some people from school. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

I heard about this guy named Dave from a friend, and at first I didn't believe my friend, because Dave had to be a made up name, and suspected my friend was just luring me to my death. Not the first time that has happened to me.

But after some hesitation, I followed him to this so-call Dave's place. And indeed a man who called himself Dave did indeed exist (although I still doubt it was his real name)

And I made a rogue, because I figured that a character that couldn't be flat footed so he could spring out of harm's way and bolt on the drop of a hat would be fitting with my own thoughts as I checked out the various exits.  

Luckily this Dave was a pretty good DM, To Good actually, I bet Charles Manson would have also made a good DM too, so I kept a handful of D4s in hand to toss on the floor as caltrops to cover my escape path, and brought the drinks to ensure that I wouldn't be stuck with magic coolade or roofies
Even if you don't think any of your friends will e interested, ask them! Sure, most of them probably won't enjoy it, but you may have enough to run a game. Eve if you're a bit short, run the game, have fun, and make sure people know that you're open to new players.

I guess I should probably share how I came to be with my last group now. :3

A couple years back, I was dating this terrible guy. After we broke up, I decided I could not be around him anymore due to the terms of our breakup, even though I was in the DnD group he DMed at the time.

One of my friends from marching band invited me to play in the group his best friend DMed. I was super nervous, but I decided to go, and I am so glad I did. I actually ended up getting very close to the DM, and now we’re planning on getting married once we’re finished with college.

The group still gets together every so often when everyone is in town, but I’d like to have a stable group where I live now.

I plan on designing another poster and hanging a bunch around campus.

I looked into some clubs on campus- there is one gaming club that advertises that they are for anyone interested in board games, card games, and roleplaying games. Well, turns out they meet once a week, but it’s at the same time the karate association in this area meets, and I really can’t miss training. I cannot be the only person on this entire campus that has a schedule conflict with the gaming club. I tried going to the anime club for a couple weeks, but I had a hard time meeting people. It’s set up “movie theater” style- we sit in a lecture hall and watch anime. No talking. It’s hard to make friends when you can’t talk. There are a couple other clubs I plan on checking out.

I also found a comic book shop. Problem is- it’s on the other side of town. I’m debating on if I want to be involved in a group there, considering location and times.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses and advice!

Bored out of your mind and looking for some entertainment? I've got you covered: http://ferrisbuellersnewkidney.blogspot.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/NintenDani7184
All good info. 

Gaming club - You don't want to bail on kararte. Understandable. Could you gather some info from the club leaders, or mention to some people who do go and try to stalk/meet people outside of normal club hours? Or at minimum get them to pass out a stack of fliers for you at their next meeting?

Anime Club - Thats lame. Ours met once a week to discuss what anime, and then another day during the week to watch it. Who picks what anime to watch?  I'd assume they have to meet and discuss that at some point, right? Also, what about lingering before/after? Eh, I could seriously imagine an anime club consisting of silent show up watch anime and leave people... hopefully thats not yours.

Comic Book Shop - Drop some fliers, and see if you can recruit people there for a game on campus? 

Other people have really good luck with online games. Play by post, skype, and/or email based. Have you considered them? I personally dislike them, but know others who swear its the only way. Its definatley worth giving a shot. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

Random other thought. We had a few people join games I was running because we played in the "Lounge". Each floor of most dorms had a "lounge" that was public space for that floor. Usually a 2-3 dorm room sized area. We played our games there and found a solid ammount of new players when someone would wander by and ask what we were doing. 

... so for serious, go wander your dorms on friday nights and just see what people are doing in public spaces. 

--------

Also, no one at karate is interested in learning? 

Craigslist can work
Or can produce a lot of weirdos.

I lucked out: college had an existing game club, and when we got tired of problems there (loud people at another table, stupid rules, mandatory 10pm quiting time), we splintered off and just met in my apartment (minis there, lots of snacks, and privacy).

Also met some players at libraries and Barnes&Noble.
Check if there is a local comic shop or gaming store.

shotokan, gojuryu, or wadu-ryu?
I actually started a group in my freshmen year of college as well.  Pretty much just like you, ended up far from home with nobody I knew.  I just went to the dorm lounge (usefully placed right next to the elevators) with my books and started writting campaign, people stopped and asked questions and I just answered away.  Didn't take me more than 2 hours to get a group together.
A new problem came up today. I was doing my Monday morning walk around campus today to make sure my posters were still up.

Several of the "info tabs" had been ripped off. Okay- not a "ton", only 7 were gone out of 48 (I checked 6 flyers, at 8 tabs per flyer), but if 7 people contacted me, I would super happy. Heck, if two people contacted me, my day would be made.

Either people are taking the info tabs to be mean, or a handful of people actually have my information and are not getting a hold of me for some reason. I double and triple checked my contact information-it is correct.

I'm not sure what to do? I mean, I can't make people get a hold of me?

@WhisperMagellan- Actually, Tang Soo Do. Not my first choice, but it's what is offered in my area.

I'd expect 2/7 people to actually have intent to call you with the other 5 thinking "maybe I will" but then never doing it. 

From that I'd say you've got 50-50 odds that the person looses it, or takes a week or so to actually contact you. If you find 1/anyone though your odds of finding more go up. 

Have you considered putting a "Contact me by Dec 1" or something on it? Let people know a start date, and make it seem like you are able/willing to move forward if they don't act. Will help reduce people who "totally meant to call, but forgot". 

I'm with Krusk on the amount of people who pull a tab thinking they will get in touch with you and then just never do.

With the comic shop across town and maybe not somewhere you would want to travel to once a week, just stop by and talk to some people. The employees or the owners would be able to tell you about regulars who come in to purchase DnD books or gear if they have it and might actually be able to point you in the right direction in finding an active group or groups they know about.

As a freshman in a dorm, hit up the lounge. Its not only a good spot to make new friends but to also find things to do around town and school. You would be surprised how many people know the name DnD but have absolutely no idea what it really is and how easy and fun it can be to sit down and play. Head down to any floor lounge and strike up conversations with people and you could find that you have a group in no time flat.
So far, two people texted me completely interested in playing, and one person wants to play, but I'm worried his tight schedule will not work (he is only on campus twice a week).

It's progess!
Yay! Progress.
Twice a week is better than 0. Will depend on everyone else's schedule.
Good luck.
I know this situation well. I'd never played before but I was always aware of D&D and always willing to play. Like you, I didnt know anyone who was interested in playing so rather than look for people who were interested in playing, I looked for people I thought would be fun to play with and then convinced them to play. 
When I pitched the idea to friends, I focused on the social aspect - told them it would be a good reason to get together, have a few drinks and have some fun. The group came together well and although it hasnt been long, they are all enjoying it. It worked for me, it may work for you too.
Good luck!

My group started as my friends group. Played for a year and he was going to move away.  No one wanted to stop playing though, so I took over with my own story. I had already GMd another RPG, so I had experience doing so. We used to game once a week. We where all in college so it  was the only time available. 

However my current group is 1 time per week but alternate GM's/stories. I GM my story, then my friend goes, and we switch back adn forth. Haven't played in a while though because of RL stuff. 

Got back into D&D a few years ago when my daughters asked about the red box they saw in a Hastings.  I told them about the fun we had with D&D back in the late 70's and so we picked it up.  I had to learn the 4E rules but I love them ten-times over what I remember about the Advanced D&D rules.

We have played a home-campaign off and on since then, but I also DM the Encounters program at our local game store.  Mostly college students... we have grown it to two sessions per Wed now, seven folks each on average.  If you can find a game store, are willing to DM... you should be able to find some willing dragon-fodder...err... players. 
I post to various forums and volunteer to GM something mainstream (Call of Cthulhu, Conan, and WFRP tends to get more 'role' players than if I volunteer to run a combat-monkey game..but sometimes volume of new players is helpful).

MY latest WFRP group was formulated by frequenting our local meetup.com and continuously greeting all new and recent members.

I have learned my lesson over the years that you MUST keep advertising for about 6 months even after you start your group because there will ALWAYS be turnover.  Some people will leave and some people you will "let go."

I've found that an organized, high-visual ad with tear-offs at the FLGS helps, as does having a Yahoogroup or Googlegroup for people to immediately start to banter with the other players.

D&D Players Wanted

BIG COLORFUL PICTURE HERE

New adult D&D group in LAKEWOOD looking for a few more friendly players for gaming a 2-3 times per month. 

Email Jay at EMAIL HERE or phone me after 7pm at PHONE HERE  if you’re interested.

Blurb:
"The Zamoran thief told me the Pelishtim can abnormally live forever. Maybe that's how that bastard made it so far out into the Red Waste before the Darfari cannibals got him. We recovered his map when one of them tried their luck Daiji over there. We're headed north to Koth so if you want the map, we'd be willing to part with it..for a price..."

Then I send everybody a questionnaire.  Anybody who's too uptight to fill it out, well, they're excluded.  Anybody who is too much of an idiot to lie on their questionnaire so as not to look like an idiot is excluded.

Then I try them out for a night with the regular group.  We generally pick-on and harass new players in typical sophomoric fashion.  If they stick they stick.

PLAYER BIO / QUESTIONNAIRE

Below is a standard, confidential questionnaire we ask of all potential players because I don’t let anonymous people into my house.

• After you return the BIO, we’ll consider you for a spot in our game group. Please return it to: email

The Group

• Our groups typically consist of players ages 25-45. We don’t smoke, but occasionally drink alcohol during the game.

• We expect fellow players to : A) Learn the game system and B) Create an interesting character, and C) Keep character and back-up character updated, D) leave your personal problems and politics at home, we’re here to have fun gaming and forget about life for a while.

• Game sessions tend to be fast-paced, swords & sorcery, high-adventure, with strong character elements.  We like a “beer-n’-pretzels”-style of gaming - not deathly serious all the time, but still involving.

• Current campaigns: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e.  We expect you to purchase the player’s guide or core rule set if you intend to continue gaming with us.

The DM: 

Jay Hafner   (7phone  EMAIL

Experienced DM having run extensive campaigns and lots of writing for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Pathfinder, D&D Conan, Cthulhu, and a bunch of other games.  Hobbies outside gaming include backpacking, family time, hiking, mountain biking, windsurfing, and shooting hoops.

We game in western Lakewood off 470 and Alameda (Solterra area).  Game locations and times are given to current members on the Yahoogroup.

Game Scheduling

• 2-3 Thursdays evenings a month

• 6:45 -10:45 pm.

• Our players are required to attend 90% of the game sessions.  If you cannot make it, please look elsewhere.

STANDARD PLAYER BIO

--------General Info---------

Name: 

City of residence: 

Phone: 

Email: 

Do you have consistent working hours? 

Can you provide your own transportation to every game session?

What barriers would you have to making it on time to 90% of the game sessions?

------X.P.----

What kind of experience and preferences do you have with D&D, Pathfinder, Warhammer Fantasy ROLEPLAY and other RPG’s?

What are your top two sci-fi/fantasy book or comic, or movie picks?

Do you DM/GM any game systems?

Which Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay scenarios (any edition) have you played?

What other things to you do for fun? (besides gaming, reading or playing the computer)

------Gaming Style.----

In brief, describe your two best characters (from any game system):

Briefly describe your last two in-person gaming groups and how long you gamed with them:

The most important personality characteristics that you would bring to the game would be?

What kind of aversions do you have towards descriptions of violence, gore, vile evil, tasteless jokes, foul language, gamers that drink and game, ancient slavery, common PC death, prostitution themes, historical female and male family roles, in-party romance, references to adult situations, and intolerance of rules-lawyering?

Please note any other thoughts on what you look for in a group or campaign:

Thanks!

Return this to me ASAP at e,mail and then we can get you added to the discussion group as vacancies occur.

jh

Gamer Chiropractor - Hafner Chiropractic 305 S. Kipling st,Suite C-2, Lakewood, Co 80226 hafnerchiropractic.com

My groups are made up of a mixture of friends, people from meetup (we have a local gaming meetup group) penandpapergames, people I met at encounters at a local game store and obsidianportal.

Step 1 is to find the players.

Getting them to play rather than be DMs is generally the easy part. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
When I was in college, I had the good fortune to find and become friends with a few otrher gamers  our small college (Alma College in Michigan) didn't have any official club for that yet, and being a small college, the gamer community was kind of small.  Being that a lot of us geeks have similar interests with other geeky groups, we founded ACOG - Alma College Otaku and Gamers - to combine the interests of anime lovers with gamers.  It certainly broadened my horizons as far as anime goes, too, because I'm primarily a gamer, not an anime fan.  It also ended up introducing a lot of people who were just anime fans into gaming.

When I joined the military, I found that I could usually find groups within my command.  Stereotypes about certain rates being into D&D and WoW (like ATs-Aviation Electronics Technicians) proved helpful, as I have always had some luck finding players among those shops.

But during the short period of time between college and military, I was fortunate enough to have already cultivated friendships with people who were gamers by that time, and I moved in with two of them.  I was able to use their connections with people to form groups for games I was going to run.