Overloading Isochron scepter?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just sitting and putting my Izzet deck together, and ran into a situation.

Isochron scepter exiles a spell with mana cost 2 or less.
Mizzium mortars costs 2 mana, so can be exiled.

However, can you copy mizzium with overload? The 2 mana cost is only a requirement for the imprint, and the secondary ability says you copy the card without paying the mana cost, thus implying that you cast the CARD in it's entirety without paying it's mana cost. Thus, my inclination is that you can use this combo to cast 2 mana overload Mizzium every single turn, especially if couppled with Voltaic key. Or  how about cyclonic rift every single turn with overload?

In addition, what happens if you imprint train of thought can you theoretically replicate it endlessly since you don't pay the mana cost?

Bonus question: When do replications resolve? Do you get to untap and use gelectrode in between each of them? (id say no, but hey, best be sure.)
Ruling on gatherer: " You don't pay the spell's mana cost. If the spell has X in its mana cost, X is 0. You do pay any additional costs for that spell. You can't use any alternative costs."

Bonus: You aren't casting the replications so gelectrode won't trigger off of them.

Double bonus: This belongs in rules and whatever.
Thread moved to Rules Q&A
you can Replicate the spells cast with Isochron Scepter, you do have to pay the replicate cost for the spell, it's not free
(that's because it is an additional cost, Buyback and Kicker are as well)

you cannot Overload the spell, because that is an alternative cost, you cannot use alternative costs when casting for free (because that is an alternative cost itself)
proud member of the 2011 community team
Just sitting and putting my Izzet deck together, and ran into a situation.

Isochron scepter exiles a spell with mana cost 2 or less.
Mizzium mortars costs 2 mana, so can be exiled.

no, you can't exile Mortars as it's a sorcery
However, can you copy mizzium with overload?

an overloaded Mortars can be copied, yes
The 2 mana cost is only a requirement for the imprint, and the secondary ability says you copy the card without paying the mana cost, thus implying that you cast the CARD in it's entirety without paying it's mana cost.

it may imply that, but it only covers the basic mana cost of the spell
Thus, my inclination is that you can use this combo to cast 2 mana overload Mizzium every single turn, especially if couppled with Voltaic key. Or  how about cyclonic rift every single turn with overload?

no, you can't cast the copy of the card from exile for any mana cost (you may only cast the non-overloaded spell for from the Scepter)
In addition, what happens if you imprint train of thought can you theoretically replicate it endlessly since you don't pay the mana cost?

no, you pay additional costs such as replicate normally.
Bonus question: When do replications resolve?

before the original spell after the replicate trigger resolves
Do you get to untap and use gelectrode in between each of them? (id say no, but hey, best be sure.)

no, because none of the copies are cast so they don't trigger Gelectrode

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Isn't this question kind of moot since Mizzium Mortars is a sorcery and Isochron Scepter specifically says that only instants with CMC 2 or less can be imprinted on it?

My EDH decks:

Erebos ()

Damia ()

Ghave ()

Sliver Overlord ()

Yes, but everything said here still applies in case he wanted to use Electrickery instead, or put Mizzium Mortars on Panoptic Mirror.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.