can a stone giant half dragon be made and can it be too strong

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
i was just wondering  would a stone giant half dragon with a str48 dex24 con 20 int19 wis20 cha18 see with what thecomputer rolled i ended up with those stats after i added the half dragon template and i was just wondering would that be too strong or just right since i rolled online or should i put my 24 on one of my other stats and lower my other stats like my streanth or what need help what you guys think
I can say that those templates would in fact stack. The better question is what were the starting ability scores you had?
And what's the starting level, since a Stone Giant half-dragon is an ECL ~15-20 creature.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
And what's the starting level, since a Stone Giant half-dragon is an ECL ~15-20 creature.

The (non-elder) stone giant is ECL 18 according to the SRD, so a half-dragon version would be ECL 21.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Rolling stats = bad idea in my eyes.  If the game assumes a certain level for stats and then you go and "roll" a better set you've just thrown off many of the things that are there to help make the game run better.

A Half-Dragon Stone Giant is perfectly acceptable.  As an NPC it just CR 10.  As a PC it shouldn't be allowed pre-epic as the Stone Giant is a Giant 14 +4 LA +3 LA for the Half-Dragon template.  Looking at the SRD it's stat modifiers are:
STR +24, DEX +4, CON +10, INT/WIS/CHA all at +2.

Taking those modifiers out of your "str48 dex24 con 20 int19 wis20 cha18" you're left with STARTING stats of 24,20,10,17,18,16.  IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ROLL STATS THAT HIGH!!!!!  

To put in bluntly not only are your stats "too strong" for anything resembling a "normal" game they are really too strong even more most of the insane rolling methods I've seen. Assuming PB would actually allow stats over 18 you're looking at 46 points for the 24, 24 points for the 20, and then 41 points for all the other scores for a total PBe of 111; that's enough points to stat out FOUR "normal" characters.

Now I expected a Half-Dragon Stone Giant to have some pretty decent stat modifier but your stats are off the chart.  MAYBE if those stats include enhancement and inherent bonuses they could be believed but you would need to say something about those and even then the character is still insane.

To me an "acceptable" set of PC stats for your half-dragon stone giant would look more like STR 38, DEX 18, CON 20, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 14 which I get using PB 28.
Rolling stats = bad idea in my eyes.  If the game assumes a certain level for stats and then you go and "roll" a better set you've just thrown off many of the things that are there to help make the game run better.

A Half-Dragon Stone Giant is perfectly acceptable.  As an NPC it just CR 10.  As a PC it shouldn't be allowed pre-epic as the Stone Giant is a Giant 14 +4 LA +3 LA for the Half-Dragon template.  Looking at the SRD it's stat modifiers are:

Taking those modifiers out of your "str48 dex24 con 20 int19 wis20 cha18" you're left with STARTING stats of 24,20,10,17,18,16.  IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ROLL STATS THAT HIGH!!!!!  

To put in bluntly not only are your stats "too strong" for anything resembling a "normal" game they are really too strong even more most of the insane rolling methods I've seen. Assuming PB would actually allow stats over 18 you're looking at 46 points for the 24, 24 points for the 20, and then 41 points for all the other scores for a total PBe of 111; that's enough points to stat out FOUR "normal" characters.

Now I expected a Half-Dragon Stone Giant to have some pretty decent stat modifier but your stats are off the chart.  MAYBE if those stats include enhancement and inherent bonuses they could be believed but you would need to say something about those and even then the character is still insane.

To me an "acceptable" set of PC stats for your half-dragon stone giant would look more like STR 38, DEX 18, CON 20, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 14 which I get using PB 28.

thanks

so i should not roll stats then i should just use just what the  half dragons template and stone giant  stats then
When you use quick reply please uncheck the "quote post" box.  There is certainly no need to repeat my entire post twice for two lines of comment.  I'd suggest going back and editing the post to remove the stuff in the quotes to make the thread easier to read.
so i should not roll stats then i should just use just what the  half dragons template and stone giant  stats then

Not exactly.

You would still roll stats just like you would if you were a human although I strongly recommend you use point buy and buy stats just like you were human.  Once you have those starting stats which range from 3-18 you would apply the racial and template modifiers to them.  In my post I showed what they would total for a half-dragon stone giant.  Now the stone giant may have 14 HD with it but your level based ability increases (at 4,8, and 12 level) are already accounted for in its stat modifiers and LA.  Your character's starting STR score would be the same as a PC human fighter +24 for species and template modifiers.

You do NOT just use the monster stats presented in the MM.  Although there are some exceptions, and these should be noted, a MM creature is a typical member of the species and has all 10s and 11s as base ability scores.  This equates to them rolling average scores on 3d6 but PCs have better then average scores which also helps account for why some monsters seem like they have high LAs.  In general to find the ability modifiers for a monster you just take the listed scores at subtract 10 off the even scores and 11 off the odd scores to get the final modifiers.

thanks