Why won't the character builder let me print my character off?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
There is a print button but when I click it the button just turns grey and won't give me print options or anything...why isn't this working?
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
This a bug that persist since it was released.

As to why i don't know, it may be related to Silverlight.

EDIT  I didn't see it in the Known issues lists for the Character Builder so i reported it to Cust Serv [Ticket #121108-000631]
I have problems printing, too. It used to work fine on my old printer, but I noticed that every other printer I tried (campus library, friends') really, really hated printing from the CB -- it would print (usually), but take forever to do so. Unfortunately, my old printer broke down, and my new printer struggles with printing from the CB for some reason.
FYI Cust Serv replied with some possible workarounds:

Response Via Email (Support Agent)11/09/2012 06:47 PM
Hi Yan,

Thanks for contacting us. There are a number of suggestions that you can try in order to fix this problem. The simplest is to clear your cookies and temporary files, then restart the browser. If this does not work, you will want to make sure you have the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight installed. If you already have the latest version, you can also try using a different web browser to see if that resolves the problem. Finally, there is a specific issue related to using the Character Builder in Google Chrome on a Macintosh. In this case, some functions will be unavailable, as Silverlight is not compatible with Google Chrome when running on a Macintosh. I hope this information helps! If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Kay
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Sunday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST
Hi, I also have problems printing the charactersheets form within the character builder. I work with W8 enterprise and IE10. I also tried to print in IE9 and IE8 compatability mode. That too didn't work. The Silverlight version I ues is 5.1.10411.0

I worked through the suggestion to solve the issue but that too didn't work. 

Hope this information is usable in solving the issues altogether

Pazoldin  

If you do a search on these boards you will find several threads about this dating a couple of years back.  Silverlight 4 does not have any native print support. So when you are trying to print your character it is trying to print it as a large image (bmp) file and not a text file or pdf file etc.

You need to download something like PDFCreator or CutePDF and install it. These programs setup in your Printer folder and allow you to print the image file to a PDF file.  You can then print the PDF file whenever you like.  I would recommend setting the DPI (Dots Per Inch) in these programs at 144, 150 or at max 300 to give you manageable file sizes.
As far as I am concerned this is broken.  It works sometimes.  These are all symptoms of the primary root cause for the printing issues: huge file sizes.  The files being printed are massive on the order of 600-700 megabytes at about 120 MB per page.  

I'm not prone to complain about stuff but this was a terrible design decision. When everything goes well with your local computer, the network, and the printer, you can print.  If any part of the chain cannot handle that amount of data, you're going to hang in printing purgatory and quite possibly never escape.  

Printing to a PDF and then printing that smaller file is a work-around that allows you to create a smaller local instance which is much much more manageable for your printer.

If there was one thing I would ask WotC to fix it would be to create a PDF on their side and send that down the pipe instead.  Seriously, we're talking about printing more data than an entire CD-ROM everytime you level up.  It sucks and there is not a good excuse for it.
File size is always my issue with it. Why are the files so big? I can't see any reason for it.
File size is always my issue with it. Why are the files so big? I can't see any reason for it.

Thx. The PDF printer did the trick.

Because the version of Silverlight they originally wrote the online CB in, had no support for printing. They had to do a lot of fudging to, essentially, fake it. What you print is several full-page PICTURES, without a single text character anywhere on them.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Sign In to post comments