Modern needs more bannings

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
A degenerate combo deck (eggs) won the pro tour, the highest level of competition in magic.  The whole point of the banlist is to prevent degenerate combo decks from beating players who win fairly.  Therefore, I propose that the following items be added to the banlist:

sleight of hand
serum visions
chromatic sphere
chromatic star 
I hate dogs.
Eggs isn't that hard to beat...it won cuz no one was expecting it or had sb options for it. Sure they dig fast and furious... But that doesn't mean you need to ban them...
Obviously you have never played with an "eggs" deck.  It is a very hard combo deck to pilot (way harder than storm) and can easily be hated out.  The reason Cifka won the pro-tour with it was that he made a brilliant prediction of the meta-game (and he's a master chess player on top of that).  Just because a deck won one tournament isn't reason enough to call for banning cards and quite frankly I would be shocked if another "eggs" deck won another tournament this season. 
The whole point of the banlist is to prevent degenerate combo decks from beating players who win fairly. 


No it's not.  Most of the "degenerate" decks that led to bannings were not combo decks.
Oh hey it's Felis again.  I think it's a new Zokorad acct.
Yeah, eggs is SUCH a hard deck to pilot.  You play artifacts and sacrifice them and cast second sunrise. 
I hate dogs.
You know, considering the kind of threads you make, OP, I think you ought to change your avatar. It doesn't really suit you.
You know, considering the kind of threads you make, OP, I think you ought to change your avatar. It doesn't really suit you.


His sig is even worse.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Antistorm cards like Ethersworn Canonist and anti combo cards like Memoricide or Cranial Extraction are all you need to take out eggs.

Just no one expected storm or eggs. 
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Obviously you have never played with an "eggs" deck.  It is a very hard combo deck to pilot (way harder than storm) and can easily be hated out.  The reason Cifka won the pro-tour with it was that he made a brilliant prediction of the meta-game (and he's a master chess player on top of that).  Just because a deck won one tournament isn't reason enough to call for banning cards and quite frankly I would be shocked if another "eggs" deck won another tournament this season. 



Exactly, and based on the top 16 at chicago it seems like the format is pretty wide open at the moment. I mean sure, the lingering souls jund (whatever name sticks) happens to be pretty strong right now, but I don't feel like any of those cards deserve banning.
Y'all postin' in a Troll thread...
Y'all postin' in a Troll thread...




Seconded. Although Cefka's appearance with "eggs" was like the Spanish Inquisitorial Squad, no one expected it/them. Cefka's my kind of MtG player.


They've already banned Ponder and Preordain too, which is why cards like SoH and Serum Visions are even being used. Gutting those would gut blue completely and now I see where this is going considering the OP.

Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I'm glad you agree that it's like spanish inquisition, another overpowered combo deck that led to changes in the B&R list, specifically the restriction of burning wish.
I hate dogs.
A degenerate combo deck (eggs) won the pro tour, the highest level of competition in magic.  The whole point of the banlist is to prevent degenerate combo decks from beating players who win fairly.  Therefore, I propose that the following items be added to the banlist:

sleight of hand
serum visions
chromatic sphere
chromatic star 




Modern does NOT need to ban more cards. Less would be preferable. There are ways to beat every deck and eggs is a combo deck that is dismantled by removing one or two key cards... Here are two good sideboard cards that work very well against eggs and ANY other deck.

Surgical Extraction - 0 Mana cost and instant speed means you can play this without even taking a turn. Use this to remove all the second sunrise cards from the deck and see how well eggs can combo after that... You can also remove his noxious revival and any other key cards they have... Tutor for surgical extraction is easy with cards like Merchant Scroll or the transmute ability.

Second card....

Rest in Peace. Done.

There are lots of cards that will hose "Eggs". The reason it won is because no one was expecting it and probably didn't sideboard or top deck the right cards. 

Yellling to ban more cards solves nothing and there's no reason in this case. Is it a degenerate combo deck? Maybe. It's very boring and is easily countered by anyone with a decent sideboard. 

You're calling for a ban on sleight of hand? Are you kidding me.... What a joke.

A degenerate combo deck (eggs) won the pro tour, the highest level of competition in magic.  The whole point of the banlist is to prevent degenerate combo decks from beating players who win fairly.  Therefore, I propose that the following items be added to the banlist:

sleight of hand
serum visions
chromatic sphere
chromatic star 




Modern does NOT need to ban more cards. Less would be preferable. There are ways to beat every deck and eggs is a combo deck that is dismantled by removing one or two key cards... Here are two good sideboard cards that work very well against eggs and ANY other deck.

Surgical Extraction - 0 Mana cost and instant speed means you can play this without even taking a turn. Use this to remove all the second sunrise cards from the deck and see how well eggs can combo after that... You can also remove his noxious revival and any other key cards they have... Tutor for surgical extraction is easy with cards like Merchant Scroll or the transmute ability.

Second card....

Rest in Peace. Done.

There are lots of cards that will hose "Eggs". The reason it won is because no one was expecting it and probably didn't sideboard or top deck the right cards. 

Yellling to ban more cards solves nothing and there's no reason in this case. Is it a degenerate combo deck? Maybe. It's very boring and is easily countered by anyone with a decent sideboard. 

You're calling for a ban on sleight of hand? Are you kidding me.... What a joke.



I tried what you said, using merchant scroll to fetch surgical extraction, but my opponent called a judge on me.
I hate dogs.
lol you scamp

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

 

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

 

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

 

Generation=0


I tried what you said, using merchant scroll to fetch surgical extraction, but my opponent called a judge on me.


I said you can use cards like merchant scroll or utilize the transmute ability.

Diabolic Tutor will find it and there are other cards. Dizzy spell can transmute into surgical extraction. 

I'm sorry. I thought you were a magic player and could figure out different ways to find the card you need. i didn't realize I had to be totally specific on exact cards.
Yeah, but transmuting for 3 at instant speed is just ugly. Your point about sideboard hate is a good one -eggs relied entirely on the fact that the tech of choice didn't interact with it- but the way you said it, in a troll thread no less, left you wide open to a friendly jab.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.