You Pursue the Card: A Contest of Trivial Nature

847 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YPTCBanner.png)

Welcome to You Pursue the Card, hosted by razorborne and yours truly! (What does that even mean?)

You Pursue the Card is a contest designed to reward continued excellence but also allow for early slackers to get back into the game.  As you've probably guessed, it is based on the popular Trivial Pursuit franchise, but don't fret if you've never played the world's most successful questioning board game--all you need to know to play along is written below!

Participating

All rounds of the contest will be held in this thread. An audition round has determined the following 15 players as its contestants:

Contestants & Pie Slices Won

Catoftheyounger: FLIMP
Dudibus: FLH - I
Glasir: FCHIEMP
Kavu_Overlord: FCFLIEMP
Kingreaper: FCHIE
Kyosuke666: H
Imidazoline: FLEMP
Jessica_Morgan: FCFLHI - MP
magicpablo666: FL
metalevolence: FL
Mown: FC - HIE - MP
silasw: FCH - IEMP
Steinhauser: FCFLHIE - MPFULL PIE!!! - WINNER!
theatog: FC - FLHIEMP - FULL PIE!!!
theScion: FCFLHEMP

Good game, y'all.

The contest has an indeterminite amount of rounds, but our estimates say it shouldn't go much further than 15 and likely could end after 7.

Submissions & Judgment

Each round, a player may submit a single card to any of 6 categories following its individual criteria. (See raz's post below.)  Please make a note of which criteria you are submitting to by labeling your post with its category name. Each card is ranked against each other card submitted to its category that round. (e.g. Innovation entries are ranked against other innovation entries.) The top ranked entry from each category earns that category's pie slice. Judging for each category will be skewed toward that category's theme. It won't be the only factor taken into account, but it will be more heavily considered. An overall ranking of category winners will also be announced each round. If you win the overall, you are allowed to submit two cards during the next round, each to a separate category. You are only allowed to win a single pie slice, though. Think of it as an extra opportunity to move ahead. If you win both categories, you choose which pie-slice to receive and the other simply doesn't get awarded.

Note: If a submission to any category goes unopposed that round, an approval system will determine whether or not the pie slice is awarded. That basically means we have to agree to like your card enough that it makes us happy.

Winning

After a player has collected all 6 pie slices, they are ready to win it all! (Note: This means duplicate slices are in most respects worthless.) Every round after a player has collected all six slices, that player may submit an entry to any category they choose. If that player wins the category, no pie slice is awarded. If that player wins the overall ranking, he or she wins YOU PURSUE THE CARD along with some fabulous prizes that I'm sure raz will talk about below.

[u]Time Structure[/u]

The audition round opens as of this post and ends Tuesday night, 11:59pm PST, Novemeber 14th. Rankings will be posted by that Sunday night or Monday morning. New rounds will begin Sunday night/Monday morning and end the following Thursday night, 11:59pm PST.

AND NOW HERE'S RAZORBORNE WITH WHAT IS LIKELY TO BE SOME INSIGHTFUL RAMBLING.
alright guys razorborne here LET'S TALK CATEGORIES

Formatcraft
FORMATCRAFT

I wanted to call this category Development Needs but Rush thought that would just be balance. that category would've been awful. "make a card that is moderately powerful and would likely see sideboard play." BORING. what was Rush thinking?

but no! that's not what this is. this is one of the most important skills a designer can have. this is the ability to look at a format's needs and design a card that perfectly suits them. they're not always pretty, but they get the job done. don't think of the cards that make you go "wow that's cool", think of your ash zealots, you tunnel ignuses, your kataki, war's wages. the cards that don't excite you, but that make the game work. these criteria, by their nature, will be fairly specific compared to the others. that's because Formatcraft is all about context.

Sample Criteria
RDW is too good, we want to give white-blue control decks a strong answer that is maindeckable against other archetypes as well.
we haven't seen a good GW aggro deck in a while, give them something to push them over the edge. not multicolored, but should encourage a GW approach over other combinations.
we're designing a block with a heavy enchantment theme. make a targetted hoser for a block mechanic. should be sideboard quality.

Flavor
FLAVOR

okay guys this one is pretty straightforward and you all know it. you also may know that razorborne hates flavor criteria with a passion but HEY THAT'S WHY I CRAMMED THEM ALL INTO ONE CATEGORY YOU'RE WELCOME. don't worry Rush will never find out about my plan, he doesn't know how to open sblocks. just don't tell him. deal? good.

so what is a flavor criteria? quite simply, it's where we give you a concept, and you craft the mechanics. it could be specific, where we give you a specific object to represent, or it could be vague, like if we give you a set of source material to draw from. either way, there will be little to no mechanical indication. it will be up to you to make the mechanics resonate within the flavorful framework we set forth.

Sample Criteria
Make a card that represents a pack of wildcats
Make a card that represents a greek god
Make a card with the flavor text "What sleeps but never dreams?"~Necromancer's riddle

History
HISTORY

I don't have anything mean to say about Rush in this category but I have started a trend and I will look silly if I do not continue it. so. Rush is stupid I guess. take that.

so what is History all about? aren't we doomed to repeat it? didn't someone say that? yeah probably. people say a lot of things, every day, pretty much non-stop. but that is neither here nor there. what is the history category? basically, it's design but with a time machine. instead of designing for magic as it is, you will design for it as it was. we may give you an old mechanic to do something with, an old setting to work in, or maybe we'll just give you an old card and ask you to rework it. we do what we want. this is our contest. the point is, in this category, you'll be working with old things. because everyone loves old things! especially Rush 'cause he is one HEY-O! nah he's not. man that guy is harder to insult than you'd think.

Sample Criteria
Make a card with phasing
Make a card that would fit flavorfully and mechanically into Mercadian Masques
The invasion apprentice cycle got cut at the last minute. show me another take on the one-drop encouraging ally colors cycle at common. (show only one member)

Innovation
INNOVATION

this was one of the first categories we nailed down. it's pretty obvious, and yet criterias for it are tricky stuff. in the end I (AND I ALONE) came up with the idea of simply pointing you in directions that hadn't been explored and letting you guys do the innovating. so while the criterias themselves do not force innovation, they will be pushing you in that direction. from there it's up to you. Innovation is about doing your own thing, anyway. if we tell you how to do it you're not doing it. but we'll be grading this category heavily with an eye toward the innovation you managed to find, so go read up on Ephemeron's work.

Sample Criteria
Make a card with a keyword that functions from your library.
Make a card that creates it's own mini-game. (liar's pendulum, goblin game. not shahrazad)
Make a non-land card with no mana cost.

Elegance
ELEGANCE

elegance is mechanical aesthetic.

Rush is bad.

Sample Criteria
Make a non-creature card with exactly five words of rules text, five words of flavor text, and a five letter name.
Make a card that has a single sentence of rules text, but would demand its own CR entry. (see Time Stop or Mindslaver)
Make a card named "Elegance".

Multiplayer
Multiplayer

so we come to the last one. fortunately this one is so obvious even Rush knows what it's about. (SLAM!) multiplayer magic is by far the most popular variant on traditional magic. many products have been released specifically for it, and many cards exist for it in any given set. so why not stretch that muscle? why not work on cards geared toward, or exclusively for, multiplayer formats? no reason!

Sample Criteria
Make a card with the phrase "you and target opponent" on it.
Make a card that changes control.
Make a Commander.

that's it! now for the audition!

this is going to run just like a normal round, except for there will be more people and no one gets a pie slice. hooray! we'll give you all six criteria, and you submit to one of them. the top two in each category will earn free entry to the contest, to compete for the coveted title of YMtC's Top Pursuer! in addition, there will be three slots given away on Razorpoints, as I promised when I invented them! the three applicants with the highest razorpoint scores will get in, without having to pass the audition! heck, if you're sure you'll get in on points, you don't even need to design a card! (if an applicant gets in on points and places in the top two of a category, we'll give the spot to the 3rd-best applicant in that category.) for reference, here's the current leading point-holders:

razorpoints hall of fame

1. Silasw, 6 points, Captain's Warhorse.

2. Steinhauser, 5 points, Yawning Monarch.

3. Fallingman, 5 points, Lightvessel.

4. MagicPablo, 4 points, Snow-Blind Maniac.

5. Lobster667, 4 points, Ancient Duty.

6. Tekkahedron, 3 points, Aetherplax Goliath.

7. Cisnero, 3 points, Plea Bargain.

8. Kavu_Overlord, 2 points, Twinbound Guardian.

9. vlord, 2 points, Eventide Monk.

10. Pietro_Aronica, 1 point, Ogre Tactician.

11. Turnip_song, 1 point, Trainee Aviator.

do you wish you could get in on Razorpoints but don't have any? well good news! I'm giving some away this contest too! specifically, I will give 8 points to the eventual winner, and 3 to anyone else who had all 6 slices when the contest ends. for those who opened the last sblock, you may have noticed that 8 is an easy lock at #1. you could be the #1 Razorpoints holder in all of YMtC! (note: numbers subject to change.)

but first you have to pass the audition. the audition round is going to follow a theme. that theme is laziness. these criteria will all be borrowed from the sample criterias up above. so if those got the gears in your brain turning, then congrats, you may be able to use whatever you came up with!

AUDITION CRITERIA

FORMATCRAFT: RDW is too good. Give white-blue control decks a strong answer that is maindeckable against other archetypes as well.
FLAVOR: Make a card that represents a pack of wildcats.
HISTORY: Make a card that would fit flavorfully and mechanically into Mercadian Masques.
INNOVATION: Make a card that creates it's own mini-game. (liar's pendulum, goblin game... not shahrazad)
ELEGANCE: Make a non-creature card with exactly five words of rules text, five words of flavor text, and a five letter name.
MULTIPLAYER: Make a card with the phrase "you and target opponent" on it.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Innovation

Wild Gamble
Sorcery [Rare]
Choose a permanent you control, then search your library for a card, search your graveyard for a card, and search your hand for a card. Exile those cards face-down, then target opponent chooses one. Reveal that card. If it's a creature card, each player puts a token that's a copy of that card onto the battlefield. Otherwise, cast it without paying its mana cost.

So yeah. It's a little out there. It might be a little too out there, actually, but I thought, "Hey, if I'm going to make a mini game why not make the stakes really freaking high?" The remaining cards, of course, stay exiled face-down.
Urg. You guys. I dunno. Rush always hates my cards. Razor always likes them. So close to the RP qualifiers. Now for the strategic part. Which categories will the best designers go for. Which categories will the most designers go for. Flavor, innovation, and multiplayer seem like obvious choices for the average YMtCer. Formatcraft seems doomed to be unpopular, though I can think of one bird-lover who might jump at it. History also seems unlikely, though it should garner the attention of some of the more mature designers, and they are usually stronger. Elegance looks middle-ground-ish, and I must tell you enticing.

I'm usually one who strives for Innovation and my own interpretation of flavour, but I think I'm going to have to go w/Elegance.

Also, seems like waiting until more people have entered would be the best strategy, but that also seems shady. So, I'll put up an Elegance entry, which will probably be subject to change:

Real Elegant Entry:

Stone
Instant
Exile target creature you own.

"When hearts burn, rocks fly."

Brief Explanation

Stone as in "To punish by throwing rocks at." Flavour being, you own the creature. It betrays you, somehow, and in your jealous rage, you do what any passionate lover would. You smite that which you once cared for.

Adieu

Adieu
Instant
Exile target French-Canadien Creature.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow."

I don't know how to red

Elegance

Queig
Legendary Creature - Devil
: Target damage value becomes five.

"Pain(n): Physical Suffering or Distress."

3/2

I don't even know if that works. I know damage doesn't stack. Do my mana symbols count as words? What about (n)? Here are the rules. Damage can be replaced. I'm pretty sure this is not the right way to replace it, though.

Rules

119.4. Damage is processed in a three-part sequence.

119.4a First, damage is dealt, as modified by replacement and prevention effects that interact
with damage. (See rule 614, "Replacement Effects," and rule 615, "Prevention Effects.") Abilities
that trigger when damage is dealt trigger now and wait to be put on the stack.

119.4b Next, damage that's been dealt is processed into its results, as modified by
replacement effects that interact with those results (such as life loss or counters).

119.4c Finally, the damage event occurs.
Example: A player who controls Boon Reflection, an enchantment that says "If you would gain life,
you gain twice that much life instead," attacks with a 3/3 creature with wither and lifelink. It's
blocked by a 2/2 creature, and the defending player casts a spell that prevents the next 2 damage
that would be dealt to the blocking creature. The damage event starts out as [3 damage is dealt
to the 2/2 creature, 2 damage is dealt to the 3/3 creature]. The prevention effect is applied, so the
damage event becomes [1 damage is dealt to the 2/2 creature, 2 damage is dealt to the 3/3
creature]. That's processed into its results, so the damage event is now [one -1/-1 counter is put
on the 2/2 creature, the active player gains 1 life, 2 damage is marked on the 3/3 creature]. Boon
Reflection's effect is applied, so the damage event becomes [one -1/-1 counter is put on the 2/2
creature, the active player gains 2 life, 2 damage is marked on the 3/3 creature]. Then the damage
event occurs.
Example: The defending player controls a creature and Worship, an enchantment that says "If you
control a creature, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1
instead." That player is at 2 life, and is being attacked by two unblocked 5/5 creatures. The player
casts Awe Strike, which says "The next time target creature would deal damage this turn, prevent
that damage. You gain life equal to the damage prevented this way," targeting one of the
attackers. The damage event starts out as [10 damage is dealt to the defending player]. Awe
Strike's effect is applied, so the damage event becomes [5 damage is dealt to the defending
player, the defending player gains 5 life]. That's processed into its results, so the damage event is
now [the defending player loses 5 life, the defending player gains 5 life]. Worship's effect sees
that the damage event would not reduce the player's life total to less than 1, so Worship's effect
is not applied. Then the damage event occurs.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
ELEGANCE: Make a non-creature card with exactly five words of rules text, five words of flavor text, and a five letter name.

!

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I am a history mastar.

History (card that fits flavorfully and mechanically into Mercadian Masques):

Billowfume Witch -
Creature - Human Spellshaper
, , Discard a card: Target opponent discards two cards.
2/2 

In the vein of Bog Witch style spellshapers.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
FLAVOR

Wildcat Clowder

Creature - Cat
Haste
When ~ attacks, it deals 4 damage to itself.
There's a reason cats don't travel in groups
5/5

clowder is to cat as pack is to wolf
OH GOD WHY  DON'T I HAVE ANY RAZORPOINTS YET?

Surely it's not surprising that I want to use the flavour category?

Pack Of Wildcats |
Creature - Pack of Wildcats
Each +1/+1 counter on this is a cat.
Cat/Cat

This might be a placeholder until I have real time.
My plan is to go uncontested down the Mercadian Masques path until victory is assured.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?

Let's go... multiplayer.

Duel of Champions
Sorcery

You and target opponent may each put a creature card from your respective hands onto the battlefield. If two creatures are put onto the battlefield this way, those creatures fight each other.  (Each deals damage equal to its power to the other.)

When heroes meet, the fates of nations are decided.

alt flavor text: TWO MEN ENTER.  ONE MAN LEAVES. 
[edit1] flavor text added
[edit2] gah, with that flavor I can't not make this Bant despite the incredibly green mechanics.
[edit3] Wording help from CKY.  Also I had another idea, leaving it here so I don't forget.  But there are loads of people doing elegance so forget it.

elegance

[five-letter names are hard]
Enchantment

Whenever a creature dies, proliferate.

The Grand Evolution nears completion. 

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

OH GOD WHY  DON'T I HAVE ANY RAZORPOINTS YET?

because you voted for Detektor.

Auditioning for Formatcraft: Since I'm a Legacy guy, I'm more familiar with Burn. Sligh throws a few critters into the mix, and RDW throws a few more on top of that. Still: dat removal/reach! Also, as a legacy player, I'm well aware that targeted removal and targeted disruption are pretty darn good.

EDIT: going a different approach: more or less a time buying approach. 10 Shock-Cloct to 20 and 7 Bolt-Clock to 10.

Dreamweaver -
Creature - Wall
Defender, hexproof.
You have absorb 1 and hexproof.
Sweet dreams.
0/4
Multiplayer I guess.

Dawdle -
Instant
You and target opponent draws two cards. Then, that opponent skips his or her next turn and you skip your next turn.
"Just what purpose does this serve?"

Show
Not too sure if this is actually too strong or too weak for that matter in multiplayer, only multiplayer format I used to play was free-for-all with my friends. In a 1-on-1 format this card is really just another Vision Skeins.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
This could be a problem.

Wildcat Pack |
Creature - Human Rogue Mercenary {R}
Haste
Whenever Wildcat Pack deals combat damage to a player, you may choose a non-enchantment permanent that player controls at random. If you do, destroy that permanent.
The street gangs of Velicta will always have a place for those indicate the objects of their interest by setting fire to them.
5/4

Yes, Wildcats are the name of the gang. I trust that's still sufficiently 'street' kidlings?
Edit: Also, thanks Rio.
Edit edit: FLAVOURFLAVOURFLAVOUR
Crusader of the Meek
Creature - Rhino Knight
Lifelink, protection from converted mana cost 2 or less
He speaks for those who are not spoken for.
2/1

[spoiler Format craft]
- For a WU deck, he needs to be less color intensive and hence the casting cost.
- Any type of winnie/sligh aggro will be stopped in his track.
- Lifelink ruins burn for sure. if the burn deck is less creature heavy, this guy should easily swing and survive early game.
- immune to most common spot removal, even survive pyroclasm
- combo decks not accounted for. It's not really that reasonble to design any card to counter combo decks speicifically. being in WU means we have access to counterspell anyway.

[/spoiler]

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Formatcraft

Reasoning
- I'm designing for a control deck, so the card has to fit into the game plan. Don't die early game, play a planeswalker or huge creature, win. This automatically eliminates things like aggressive lifelinking weenies. *cough* *shiftyeyes*
- I'm hating on RDW, so the card has to seriously disrupt its plans. RDW wants to get out a lot of early pressure and finish the opponent with burn. Whatever I design has to actively fight one of these.
- What does RDW hate? Lifegain. Board control. Stuff that blanks the cards in its hand.
- Out of these, board control is most frequently mainboarded by control decks, most commonly in the form of sweepers and advantage-generating blockers.
- I decide to make a sweeper, since sweepers will always see maindeck play regardless of format, while things like Wall of Omens are less reliable when I don't know what the aggressive decks in the format look like.
- I decide to tack on lifegain to counter the burn and screw over RDW harder. There is precedent for this sort of effect in Righteous Fury, but this is formatcraft, not innovation, so whatever.
- I make the lifegain symmetrical so only control decks will play this and I get an excuse to lower the mana cost from .
- I add some heartbreaking flavor about release from mortal bonds and stuff.
- Done.

Suffering's End

Sorcery (R)

Destroy all creatures. Each player gains 2 life for each creature destroyed this way.

As the light washed over Dalion, banishing all the anger and fear and sorrow in his heart, he wondered how sweet it would be to lie down and simply... rest.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Here's one for the ELEGANCE category:

Ditto
[Rare]
Instant
Copy target sorcery spell twice.
"Everybody loves a double encore."

Innovation

Crown the Pitiful
Sorcery
Each player exiles a card from his or her hand. The player who exiled the non-land card with the lowest converted mana cost may cast it without paying its mana cost. (If there's a tie, nobody plays a card.)

For now, at least.
Black because its a discard spell.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Okay, let's innovate.

Show
Thingy
Choose a number, then an opponent reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals a land card. If the number of cards revealed is greater than the chosen number, draw X cards, where X is the chosen number. Otherwise, ~ deals X damage to you. That player puts the revealed cards on the bottom of blah

Well I guess it's not a minigame if you play it by yourself. Will have to mull this over whie at work. That, or ride my razorpoints to victory.

EDIT real entry.

Gruffleball
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has “T: Attach Gruffleball to target creature” and attacks each turn if able.
Whenever enchanted creature becomes blocked by a creature, remove that creature from combat and attach Gruffleball to it.
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, its controller gets a point counter. Then, if he or she has five or more point counters, he or she wins the game.

Other ideas here. Might change entry later.
Aegis
Enchantment
You have protection from everything.
This category kind of stinks.

Elusive Quarry
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost X or less, exile it face down, then shuffle your library. An opponent chooses a number. Turn the exiled card face up. If its converted mana cost isn’t the chosen number, put it onto the battlefield. Then, if its converted mana cost is less than the chosen number, put a token that’s a copy of that creature onto the battlefield.

Hot Potato
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has “T: Attach Hot Potato to target creature.”
At the beginning of each player’s upkeep, flip a coin. If you win the flip, sacrifice Hot Potato and it deals 10 damage to enchanted creature.

(Probably not enough of a minigame - just an annoying coin flip removal spell - but inspired my main entry)
History

A Pirate's Life

Enchantment  (R)

Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, each opponent sacrfices a permanent unless he or she pays .

Yo..Ho..Yo..Ho...

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Innovation

Crown the Pitiful
Sorcery
Each player exiles a card from his or her hand. The player who exiled the non-land card with the lowest converted mana cost may cast it without paying its mana cost. (If there's a tie, nobody plays a card.)

For now, at least.
Black because its a discard spell.

Is it intentional that your opponent can see what you chose before making their choice? If not, you may want to exile them face down at first.

For now I'll throw my hat in for multiplayer, may change if I come up with something better.

Largesse |
Sorcery
You and target opponent draw X cards and gain X life.
It's good to share

I'm really confident that symmetrical discard effects have players choose their cards without previous information, so I assume that the same would apply to my card.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'm really confident that symmetrical discard effects have players choose their cards without previous information, so I assume that the same would apply to my card.

Yes, I'll back that up.  Each player chooses the card in their hand they wish to discard in APNAP order, but the hand is a hidden zone (even if an effect causes a hand to be "revealed"), so no player actually sees the choice of others until the simultaneous discard effect actually happens.  Typically, players would set aside the card they chose to discard without revealing it in turn order, then everyone would discard the chosen cards together.

The ruling on Smallpox provides a good explanation without breaking into the CR.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Ah, cool, I'd misunderstood how that would work.
Flavor - It's time to get my cat on.

So my fist thoughts went much the way of a token generating card, but Waiting in the Weeds is already a thing.  Then I thought, "I'll just use lions!" but then remembered that Pride of Lions existed.  So I hit up the internet to see what you even call a grouping of cats and found this handy website.  So I found I like the terms "Clowder" and "Intrigue" and wondered how I could make an interesting cat token generating creature and thought of ally cats and something like Mycoloth or Pentavus.  Here's what I ended up with.

Clowder Intrigue  X
Creature - Cat
Clowder Intrigue enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to Clowder Intrigue, prevent that damage. Remove a +1/+1 counter from Clowder Intrigue and put a 1/1 green and white cat token onto the battlefield.
Not even angry old Grakk could harm the mass of kittens running amok.
0/0

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Category: Elegance

Abort
Instant
Exile target noncreature, nonland permanent.
Balance comes at any cost.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Elegance

Slump
Instant (U)
Detain two target nonland permanents.
"Ten reasons I procrastinate.
One: "

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I'm currently on probably the only computer in the world without adblock, which is turning my banner into an advertisement for Amazon, which is slightly self-promoting since I sell things through Amazon as part of my business.

Fruitloops. 
[spoiler quote stuff]
This automatically eliminates things like aggressive lifelinking weenies. *cough* *shiftyeyes*

[/spoiler][spoiler does it?]Control decks needs 2-drops in their curve too. Playing a creature early like wall of omens does huge thing to rdw. they have to commit more to the board, which = $$ for your wipes; or they have to burn it down, which = $$ for your life. Just because it has the power and welcomed by aggresive strategy as well doesn't mean it can't belong to control.  

What does "automatically eliminates" even mean in deck building anyway?[/spoiler]

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Formatcraft

Wall of Treasure
Creature - Wall
Defender
When Wall of Treasure enters the battlefield, choose one - you draw a card, or you gain 4 life.
0/3
If your gold is on the outside of town, you're safe on the inside.
Elegance

Gifts |
Artifact

Indestructible
Hexproof
: Draw 1 card.

Heartily received, impossible to return.
My plan is to go uncontested down the Mercadian Masques path until victory is assured.

Sorry but Mercadian Masques was the set that introduced me to Magic so I'm submitting a card in the history section.

Ramosian Traitor
Creature - Mercenary Rebel (R)
, : If a Rebel card would enter the battlefield under target opponents control this turn, it enters the battlefield under your control instead.
"Who says rebels can't be bought? You just need to know the right names."
3/1

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
card

Should totally be a Rebel Mercenary.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

card

Should totally be a Rebel Mercenary.

Good point.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Elegance

Cheat
Enchantment
You win all coin flips.
Playing fair is for losers.

Sorry but Mercadian Masques was the set that introduced me to Magic so I'm submitting a card in the history section.

Ramosian Traitor
Creature - Mercenary Rebel (R)
, : If a Rebel card would enter the battlefield under target opponents control this turn, it enters the battlefield under your control instead.
"Who says rebels can't be bought? You just need to know the right names."
3/1

You're messing with my plan to rule the Mercadian roost. Also, I tried to limit my 'ingenuity' so that my card for sure fit in MM. And there you go making a trixy card that excites my inner johnny.
[spoiler quote stuff]
This automatically eliminates things like aggressive lifelinking weenies. *cough* *shiftyeyes*

[/spoiler][spoiler does it?]Control decks needs 2-drops in their curve too. Playing a creature early like wall of omens does huge thing to rdw. they have to commit more to the board, which = $$ for your wipes; or they have to burn it down, which = $$ for your life. Just because it has the power and welcomed by aggresive strategy as well doesn't mean it can't belong to control.  

What does "automatically eliminates" even mean in deck building anyway?[/spoiler]

Your card is actually my fav of all of them. Ditto is a close second, but it should cost  
You're messing with my plan to rule the Mercadian roost. Also, I tried to limit my 'ingenuity' so that my card for sure fit in MM. And there you go making a trixy card that excites my inner johnny.

remember, folks: the top two entrants to each slot get in.

Submitting to innovation:

Prisoner's Dilemma 
Sorcery
You and target opponent each secretly choose "betrayal" or "loyalty," then simultaneously reveal your choices.  If exactly one player chose "betray," that player draws 3 cards and the other player loses 3 life.  If both players chose "betray," then they both discard 2 cards and lose 2 life.   If both players choose "loyalty," then they both draw 2 cards.
Overpriced. Just sayin'.