Redirect Vs. Essance harvest...

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
ok, my friend casts 2 essance harvests, one directed at myself and one directed at my fiance.  The one directed to my fiance goes through, the one directed at me I cast redirect on which changes the target(s) of target spell.  Because essance harvest is a twofur, my friend claims that i'm only redirecting the damage, however my argument is because it is only on spell and redirect changes targets not target his essance harvest targeted me for the damage and him for the life gaining.  So how would this work?  Because if someone plays an angels mercy where it says "you gain seven life" would a redirect work for any instance where it says you.
Redirect only changes Essence Harvest's target, not essence harvest's controller. The "you" in its text refers to its controller, which is still your opponent. If you want to gain the life from essenve harvest, you'll have to use Commandeer.

Angel's mercy does not have any targets. Redirect cannot do anything to it.
114.9a Just because an object or player is being affected by a spell or ability doesn't make that object or player a target of that spell or ability. Unless that object or player is identified by the word "target" in the text of that spell or ability, or the rule for that keyword ability, it's not a target.

114.9b In particular, the word "you" in an object's text doesn't indicate a target.

P.S, please post your rules questions in Rules Q&A next time. The FAQs and References forum is for, well, FAQ documents and reference documents.
All rules questions belong in Rules Q&A. There is even a notice at the top of this forum indicating it is for approved threads only.

Moving to Rules Q&A. 

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
ok, my friend casts 2 essance harvests, one directed at myself and one directed at my fiance.

You make it sound as if he cast those two spells together.
Did he? Because that would be illegal, since Essence Harvest is a Sorcery.

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

oops thought i was in the right thread musta been clicking around. 
whats illegal about casting two of the same sorcery spells on his turn?
it sounded like he cast one in response to the other
proud member of the 2011 community team
whats illegal about casting two of the same sorcery spells on his turn?

Who said that was illegal?

You can't easily cast a sorcery while something else is on the stack, even if that something else is another sorcery with the same name.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

yea it was the other guys turn he had plenty of mana and cast both of them....Chaikov said something about that being illegal...i don't see how
yea it was the other guys turn he had plenty of mana and cast both of them....Chaikov said something about that being illegal...i don't see how

again, he can't cast them at the same time, no matter how much mana he has
he has to wait for one to resolve before he can cast the next one
proud member of the 2011 community team
yea the first was directed at my fiance she took the damage, he gained the life....second one was aimed at me i redirected it to another player.  It wasn't like tap six many and double shot it was one at a time.  The way chaikov said it confuzed me cause i was thinking he ment something like you can't play more than one sorcery in a turn or something like that....i got what ya mean tho.
Sign In to post comments