What slows down your character creation?

I've realized that the one thing that really slows down character creation for me, even when I'm very familiar with the system, is purchasing starting equipment.
Since I make custom choices for most things, taking half my equipment from a specific class build and the other half from a pre-made background isn't an ideal choice. But I figured out a couple of things that would really speed it up.

The adventurer's kit is a good start, but it's missing a bedroll, and perhaps one or two other things it ought to have. Perhaps a few more kits would help. You could have a basic adventurer's kit, then you could have a wizard's kit, fighter's kit, etc. Or you could have things like a scholar's or explorer's kit. A wizard who buys an adventuter's kit and a wizard's kit (or scholar's kit) is good to go.

If I could look at the list, plop down money for 3 kits, and record the weight of them, that would seriously speed up character creation.

I'm offering these ideas up out of actual play practicality. These are real, at the table, "spending too much time on stuff you shouldn't have to," concerns.

I think the hard part is coming to a consensus about what exactly goes into each kit.  It's like getting people to agree on pizza toppings.

The metagame is not the game.

What slows down my character creation?

OCD 

Indicisive players

My solution is: finish your character at home by X date.

Maybe its just me but by the time a game night comes round ive messed about with the rules to make about 10 characters.
What slows me down is deciding which to use. 

3.5: Skills, starting spell preparation, and equipment. (Although, I usually do the spells in game and we just assume I have Cure X / Y offensive spells prepared in each slot until I set them up.)

4e: Powers, Feats, and equipment.

Level obviously alters how bad these are. This is also assuming I have enough ahead time to think about character ideas and don't have to worry about that.
While I liked many things about 4e, kits was one I disliked.  I enjoy going through the equipment list; even more so if there are neat little tid-bits to source through.  I think it changes the feel of character creation when you're using kits - much like having a "standard" build pick skills and feats and backgrounds for you.

As for slowing me down, backgrounds in 4e.  Definitely backgrounds.  I would think I'd have them memorized by now, but for some reason I don't.  Feats too.  There are just so many, so I try to create something different and new each time.  Lastly, finding a picture I like for my character.  There are a whole lot of dwarf and elf and wizard pictures out there.  Sometimes it takes a long time to get through them.  But, in the end, I think it is an enjoyable process and one that definitely attaches me to my character.
Most of the time I don't care to much aboutcharacter creation unless it is super complicated. A lack of PHB to go around is probably the biggest one. Ideally each player has the PHB, reality maybe 2 PHBs or at least thats what we had in 3.5 and 4th.

Fear is the Mind Killer

I like the idea of adventurer's kits as well and wouldn't mind seeing it expanded on in 5e.

as for things that slow me down, I would have to say feats. 
Future planning.

Nothing is worse than building a character, then finding out a week later that there's a feat in an accessory that makes perfect sense for your character, as if it were absolutely designed with your mechanical and thematic concepts in mind... but it requires a 13 Wis and you made that your dump stat.  Planning for all that crap is what makes me spend far too long on character creation.  I want prereqs gone unless there's a vital or strongly thematic need for them.

Shopping takes a while.  3e-style skills take a while, and the current list of skills is pretty extensive, too.  3e-style spells.  And of course system bloat.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

Back in the old days, it took a while using the handbook and an index card...then later (2nd edition) using handbooks and character sheet.  For 3.0/3.5 PCGen, and for 4e using the WoTC character generator was essential for me.

Now, just getting used to doing it by hand again takes me a little time...flipping pages back and forth between class, background, specialty.   

Also, now I'm DMing our group, and my group has limited outside time, so I end up making lots of the characters for them.  They just choose the one they want when we play.   When D&DNext eventually comes out, they can make their own!

A Brave Knight of WTF

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Future planning.

Nothing is worse than building a character, then finding out a week later that there's a feat in an accessory that makes perfect sense for your character, as if it were absolutely designed with your mechanical and thematic concepts in mind... but it requires a 13 Wis and you made that your dump stat.  Planning for all that crap is what makes me spend far too long on character creation.  I want prereqs gone unless there's a vital or strongly thematic need for them.

Shopping takes a while.  3e-style skills take a while, and the current list of skills is pretty extensive, too.  3e-style spells.  And of course system bloat.

I'm with MindWanderer; by far I spend the most time on character planning.  Once I have a concept its about finding all the material to make that idea work, then figuring out how it all fits together.  I often plan characters for 1-15 or 1-20, in order to avoid being unable to meet prereqs at a later time, but that takes serous planning.

I'd love to see wotc have a character generater, compendium, and character planner at launch for 5e.  The tools for 4e seemed to be pretty good once they were all there, but the system didn't do it for me and I lost interest before the tools were really in place.  I tried it again a few years later, but they had changed the application so that your characters were only accessible online, which was no good for me.
Hmmm finding a concept to inspire me.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

3.x: Convincing myself to use a character build appropriate to the group rather than a god build.

4e: I don't experience much slow down, I mean yeah a good character takes the better part of an hour, maybe 2, but considering that I could be playing this guy for a year or more (barring grenade toting moas) that seems like a good amount of time to spend.

Of course that's assuming I'm making him up on the spot, If it's a concept I've mulled over previouslythat drops to 30-45 minutes. 
BECMI:
1 - Making a good background story for the random PC I just rolled 

1E:
1 - picking the right equipment
2 - making several PCs as they have the life-span of a housefly 

2E:
1 - picking the right NWPs
2 - picking the right equipment     

4E:
1 - Wading through reams of feats
2 - Making sure that I'm not accidentally picking the wrong class/feat/equipment combo
3 - Being constantly aware of each tiny decision that might influence the character at higher levels 
4 - Selecting from tons of predetermined backgrounds 
5 - Lack of the DDI character builder. I won't be making 4E PCs without it. 

DDN:
1 - Nothing   
The areas that slow me down for character creation is multi-classing, feat selection and racial ability adjustments that favor a specific class.
Future planning.

100X this.

One reason why level requirements are better than stat requirements. 
Future planning.

I strongly dislike the return of feat prerequisites in the current playtest packet. Have you noticed that they added prerequisite feats and character levels this time around? Before, the only prerequisites any feat had (as I recall) were [ability score] 11, or ability to cast spells.

I really hope I'm not the only one that noticed and will be complaining about that change come survey time.
What slows down my character (or even adventure) creation? Getting sidetracked by the interwebs...
What slows it down for me (as a GM as I help others) is when a player comes up with a background concept and I realize the system doesn't support that concept unless I change rules and re-fluff classes which is not what I want character creation to be.  I want players to come up with backgrounds and find rules that support them fully and unequivicaly with no rules adaptation required and no refluffing required.  Any short of that exposes the systems lack of support.

My Blog (The Gamers Think Tank)

"Edition wars like all debates exist because people like debates"

Rolling stats slows down character creation for me.

To deduce a character fro rolled stats instead of creating it is definitively slowing my characters creations.
Coming up with an awesome name!

Danny