Unhallowed Pact and a Commander

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unhallowed Pact is enchanting a Commander and the Commander dies.  Does it come back to play even if it's put in the Command Zone instead of the GY?  I'd think so, but I still can't keep straight when a replacement effect messes up a card's ability.
No, dies means specifically "goes to the graveyard from the battlefield."
Oh yeah, I was over thinking it.  thanks!
It that Betrays would trigger and bring it back from wherever it went (assuming it was sacrificed)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

I still can't keep straight when a replacement effect messes up a card's ability.

Say your Commander suffered lethal damage.  You are instructed to

Destroy that creature.

That action is defined as

Move that creature from the battlefield to its owner’s graveyard.

But the Commander's replacement effect changes that to

Move that creature from the battlefield to its owner’s graveyard command zone.

It goes straight from the battlefield to the graveyard, so it never died (moved from the battlefield to the graveyard), so Unhallowed Pact's ability never triggered.

I still can't keep straight when a replacement effect messes up a card's ability.

To answer this question, a replacement effect "messes up a card's ability" if (and only if) the effect changes the event such that the ability doesn't recognize it anymore. So Undying gets messed up by the Commander Rule because the Commander Rule overrights the event Undying was looking for. On the other hand, the triggered ability of It That Betrays can track the sacrificed permanent through an arbitrarily large number of replacement effects that could, in principle, cycle the permanent through every zone the game without it making the least bit of difference --- so long as none of those effects are trying to replace the sacrifice event.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Destroy that creature.

That action is defined as

Move that creature from the battlefield to its owner’s graveyard.

But the Commander's replacement effect changes that to

Move that creature from the battlefield to its owner’s graveyard command zone.

True it's a nitpick but the command zone is actually common to all players, just like the exile zone.
So it'd actually change it to:
Move that creature from the battlefield to its owner’s graveyard the command zone.

As for It That Betrays, it only works if the sacrificed permanent is put in a public zone, right? If it's shuffled/put in the library or hand, it can't keep track of it.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

As for It That Betrays, it only works if the sacrificed permanent is put in a public zone, right? If it's shuffled/put in the library or hand, it can't keep track of it.

that's true, It can't get Progenitus shuffled into his owners library.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments