Unlikely Treo

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
edit: updated

Unlikely Trio
Sorcery

Put a red 0/1 Dwarf Shaman creature token into play.
Put a white 0/1 Human Soldier Warrior creature token into play.
Put a red 0/1 Goblin Artificer creature token into play.

Some of the early versions.

Show
Unlikely Trio
Sorcery
(/)
Put three 0/1 creature tokens into play.
The first is red and is a dwarf, the 2nd white and a human, the 3rd red and a goblin.

Unlikely Trio
Sorcery
(/)(/)(/)
Put three 0/1 (colorless) creature tokens into play, or 5 if only colorless mana was used to cast this spell.
The first is red and is a dwarf, the 2nd white and a human, the 3rd red and a goblin.
So, what are the 4th and 5th tokens?

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

0/1 creature tokens. They have no creature types.
And all are colorless?  I'm not a fan of this card.  I'd rather play Bestial Menace so that I can tell the different tokens apart.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

If they have no creature types, that would also mean they have no names.  That may become... difficult, to say the least, for the game.
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
I've updated it from feedback.

Thanks for this, Bestial Menace does seem better than my design.

Most creature tokens that are not created as copies of creatures have no names.
Trio

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Good point.
Most creature tokens that are not created as copies of creatures have no names.

Unless indicated otherwise (Like Marit Lage), the name of a token is that of its creature type. So a Saproling token's name is Saproling.

I'm not sure why I would want to pay tree mana for three 0/1's.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

That's interesting, useful to know.

2 uses could be Tarmogoyf and Lords.
Unlikely Trio
Sorcery
(/)
Put three 0/1 creature tokens into play.

casting cost looks terrible -- no offense: splitting up the two 's is really messy

since you can cast this for , but cannot cast it as true mono-red (since at best it's ), it seems very odd that the tokens created are predominantly red--- as opposed to white

as for wording: "Put a 0/1 red dwarf creature token, a 0/1 white human creature token, and a 0/1 red goblin creature token onto the battlefield."

and as pointed out above: spending between 3 and 4 mana to get three 0/1s... -- i'll pass; will take Raise the Alarm or Captain's Call over this every time

Okay, I'm not sure how you expect this to work, so here's some more rules knowledge, depending on where the breach is.
1) Tarmogoyf counts the cards in the graveyards, not on the battlefield.
2) Tokens don't stay in the graveyard. While they do go there and trigger "dies" effects, they cease to exist, which means the only thing in your graveyard to boost Tarmogoyf is the sorcery.
3) Even if the tokens were to stay in your graveyard, Tarmogoyf only counts the various card types (As noted on the card), not subtypes and what creature types and such are classified as (Merfolk, Soldier, Snow, Legendary, Equipment, Arcane...)

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I didn't notice about tokens and graveyards, you're right, it wouldn't help.
I also misthought card type and creature type.

I've fixed the mana order, it was for flavour but it doesn't matter greatly.
I've also added some more creature types, as it's such a theme of this card.
Given that it won't work with Tarmogoyf I've decreased the mana cost by 1 as well.

It seems to repeat itself now, but what do you think of the new wording?
edit: updated

Unlikely Trio
Sorcery

Put a red 0/1 Dwarf Shaman creature token into play.
Put a white Human Soldier Warrior creature token into play.
Put a red Goblin Artificer creature token into play.

the wording is definitely better spelling them all out
with the additional tribal possibilities, this is MUCH more relevant and MUCH more useful
now comparing the power level to Raise the Alarm... i could see prefering this in some decks -- same cmc, but mixed color and sorcery instead of instant, but you get 3 instead of 2, but they're 0/1, but they're carzy better for tribal stuff.......

you still need to specify that the Human Soldier and Goblin Artificer are each 0/1
as it stands, you're putting in creature tokens with non-existant p/t... which doesn't work

don't worry so much about being repetative in your language -- sometimes that really is the most elegant and straight forward way to design something

i would say that this is by far the best of the designs submitted so far
i'm wondering if the cmc should still be 3... maybe -- since you are getting 3 creatures and a total of 6 creature types out of the deal.. there are a lot of cards out there that would combo great with this because of all the creature types

Okay, I'm not sure how you expect this to work, so here's some more rules knowledge, depending on where the breach is.
1) Tarmogoyf counts the cards in the graveyards, not on the battlefield.
2) Tokens don't stay in the graveyard. While they do go there and trigger "dies" effects, they cease to exist, which means the only thing in your graveyard to boost Tarmogoyf is the sorcery.
3) Even if the tokens were to stay in your graveyard, Tarmogoyf only counts the various card types (As noted on the card), not subtypes and what creature types and such are classified as (Merfolk, Soldier, Snow, Legendary, Equipment, Arcane...)

Wow, my brain froze up when I first saw the degree of wrong with Tarmogoyf and tokens. Thanks.

Anyway, what are the second and third token's p/t?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Thanks for the helpful post.

I've fixed the P/T. There are 7 subtypes not 6.

I was wondering about pairs, sort of either:

0/1 A C
0/1 A B
0/1 C B

or

0/1 A C
0/1 A B D
0/1 C B

or perhaps

0/1 A C
0/1 A B
0/1 D B

But I couldn't think how make it work with plausible combinations of creature types, even for an Unlikely Trio.

Could be too powerful for its mana cost, wow.