Return to Ravnica: The Mafia

652 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome to our little game.  The Orzhov Syndicate has sponsored this bout of entertainment, but owing to their non-presence in RtR won’t be joining us today.  How sad.

What we have in mind is a game called Mafia.  If you sign on, there’s bound to be logic, suspicion, and even a few murders.  Won’t you join us?

Okay, So What I This Anyway?
This thread is for a promotional game of Mafia brought to you by the good folks at Paranoia Paradise. We are, of course, always in need of a few good players, and there’s even another game over there that’s in signups as I post this.  Fascinating really – if you already know Mafia or at least know you like it, you should consider signing up over there.

What is Mafia?

Mafia is a game of logical deduction and argumentation.  Basically, a Game Organizer (that’s me) secretly assigns every player a role.  In the simplest execution of it, some number of the roles are “Town” and a smaller number are “Mafia”.  The members of the mafia know who each other are and have the shared goal of eliminating the town (or putting the game into such a state as the they could do so without resistance).  The members of the town don’t know anything except their own nature, but have the goal of eliminating the mafia.

The Game alternates between “Day” and “Night” phases.  During the day all players may post, and they argue amongst themselves about who is likely to be a member of the Mafia.  At the end of the day, the player that has been decided on (by a majority or plurality of votes cast) is Lynched.  That player’s alignment is revealed to everyone, and the player in question can no longer participate

At night, the Mafia decides amongst themselves who to kill.  After a fixed time, day breaks and barring exceptional circumstances, that poor victim is treated in the same way as one lynched: Their alignment is revealed and they are out of the game.

In more complicated games (which also tend to be more fun) some players will also have “Power Roles”, special abilities that alter how things work.  For instance, the “Cop” is a member of the town who can, during night, secretly target a player to learn that player’s alignment, while the “Charismatic” is a member of the town who’s vote counts double and a “Jester” is a player of no alignment who wins by being lynched.  Roles are also revealed upon death.

About This Game In Specific
This game has been tooled to the Limited forum in a couple of ways.

The names of every role in this game are the names of cards from Return to Ravnica.  Furthermore, All 16 roles are cards from a single booster pack I opened, including a basic land and a token/tips card.  There was no foil.   This is a minor gift to the town: You know how a booster pack is distributed, so you might be able to tell if someone is lying about what card they are.

Also, while not every player is a Power Role, and not all “Vanilla” roles are “Vanilla” cards, those roles that do have abilities beyond their alignment have roles with some flavorful association to their actual card

Alive
6: eyehunter
11: PeregrineV
13: pigfans
16: Firstturnkill

Dead
4: Freddeh -- Rhino Token, Town-Aligned Vanilla (Lynched Day 1)
2: Shadowchu -- Survey the Wreckage, Town-Aligned Vanilla (Killed Night 1)
8: zokorad -- Daggerdrome Imp, Mafia-Aligned Vanilla (Lynched Day 2)
9: FFP -- Auger Spree, Mafia-Aligned Babyface (Killed Night 2)
3: Lobster 667 -- Wild Beastmaster, Town-Aligned Charismatic (Killed Night 2)
10: Febb -- Lobber Crew, Town-Aligned Vanilla (Lynched Day 3)
5: azuro_arcanis -- Trained Caracal, Town-Aligned Doctor (Killed Night 3)
7: CommanderGreven -- Izzet Guildgate, Town-aligned Vanilla (Lynched Day 4)
12: Urzasapprentice -- Goblin Rally, Town-aligned Vanilla (Killed Night 4)
14: caseytan -- Isperia's Skywatch, Town-Aligned Roleblocker (Lynched Day 5)
15: tmich -- Street Sweeper, Mafia-Aligned Janitor (Killed Night 5)
1: rstnme -- ??? Town-Aligned ??? (Killed Night 5)

Replacements
1. Urzasapprentice
2. Greven
3. T_U

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Sure.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I haven't played a mafia since 2004. bold letters mean i'm in
I've played dozens of mafia games but haven't participated in one for quite a while. Let's give it a try.

However, I'd like to put it out there that the Jester is the worst role to have in a game at all. Please, host, if you put in a Jester, consider removing it. Because it can lead to some very unfun (and short) games.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Exp. player in

@Lobster, personally I haven't seen a jester role in aaaaaages, at least on forum mafia. Even if someone were to make a game with a jester it probably wouldn't be a role that ended the game.
Mafia History (Most Fun and/or Favorites listed)
SoM Mafia - Mirran-Aligned Mason - Killed Night 5 - Mafia win Iron Maiden Mafia (Classic) - Mafia-aligned Vanilla - Lived - Mafia Win - MVP PK Hates you (Int) - Mafia Don - Lived - Mafia Flawless Victory Toxic Waste Mafia (PC#3) - Mafia-aligned Roleblocker turned Hive-aligned Roleblocker - Hive win - MVP Basic #4: The Orchard Tree Mafia - Town-aligned Apple - Killed Night 4 - Mafia Win Mono has Mono, the privates story - Mafia-aligned Godfather - Lived - Mafia Win Touhou: Border Collapse (PC#4) - Sakuya Izayoi - Died Night 2 - Mafia win Tales of Symphonia (Int+) - Presea Combatir, Taciturn Girl - Lived - Town Win Sunflowers for Ragnarokio (PC#5) - In progress
/In
Sure.

Are we supposed to RP our cards? I don't see Rakdos keeping the secret for long.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I don't think we'll have to RP our cards. I'll /in too Tevish. Excited for this game. Should I tell them about the draw over at Paranoia paradise?
-Quotes from The Rebellion of the Four players- alright, first round and our leader crited on our defender. Go team. Those were, in order, my facial expressions after reading Talis's move.-Dark9174 after A slick move by the enemy swordmage (I apologize ahead of time, guys. I hit the only PC I was almost certain I'd miss. I shall join Grunn in the "I've critted on my teammate" corner of shame, now.)- TheDracon
Not an RP. Generally revealing your role(what card you are in this case) is something you should do conservatively.
lol, can you imagine rp-ing our cards? something like:

Player 1 cuts himself.

Player 2, "What the hell are you doing?"

Player 1, "What? I'm bored."

Player 2, "Like hell you are. You're under arrest for unlicensed bleeding!"

Player 1, "I'm going to kill you when, er, your arresting vanishes."

Suddenly a griffon comes out of the sky and plucks Player 2 out of danger.

"Neener neener!" Players 2 calls.

Player 1, "Well crap." Cuts himself again. "Oops, looks like I hit an artery." Bleeds out.

Player 3 walks by, sees corpse of Player 1, "Oh, look! Lunch!" 

In

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

in

btw, for those of you who are already familiar with the concept of mafia (shadowchu, lobster,...), we have our own forum group to regularily play mafia and we are in quite dire need of fresh blood. I myself have a (rather complex I have to admit) mafia variant up currently and I need a few more players to fill up the roster so if you feel up the task to play both games, consider signing up there as well. if you only have power to play in one, play in this one that you are already in.

community.wizards.com/paranoia/go/thread...
Abbot Pheldy OSM Mafia Awards 2010 Most Unique Playstyle Designer of Game of the Year 2010 Designer of Most Flavorful Game My achievements random hum
I'll consider it, Feroz. Only there's all this Magic that I need to play too (and School I guess).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
What kind of anti-newbie player would I be if I didn't sing up for this?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
/in as experienced.

and I like Sealed too! 

When I said it wasn't sarcasm, that was probably sarcasm. ~Thor665

Mafia Record

Mafia Games

Mana Symbols

Combat Step

Formatting?- What's that?- http://community.wizards.com/filter/tips

Sounds interesting.

In. 
Sounds intriguing - never played mafia, I'll try.
In
I'll be the pack rat

Pheldy, I'd join, but whenever I join a mafia game, I forget to post.

Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
In.
I've watched games before but never played.  I'm in.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
That rounds off our 16 right?

That rounds off our 16 right?

I'm not sure I'll enter this contest.
English isn't my native language,I'm partecipating to force myself to write in english but I've never tried something like this.
Maybe it's better if someone takes my place or I play using an account/character together with another player.
Advanced tourney player and i want in
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
All roles have been sent.  Urzasapprentice will be put on a list of replacements -- if a player falls inactive or wants to bow out, he'll take their spot.

A few points of order: During the day phase, when you want to vote for a player post it in the format Vote: Playername.  It must be in bold and a color to be counted.  If you've already voted but the lynch has not reached a strict majority, you can change your vote by posting Unvote the same way as you would a vote: bold and colored.  Even Unvote; Vote: Playername is acceptable.

Please do not post in White, Black, or otherwise "invisible" text.  On most themes the autotext is black, but don't worry about it: those running black-background themes will see it just fine.

Normally, It is requested that all players cease posting on the game thread when the game enters the Night phase.  Due to the high volume of threads on the Limited forum, that rule is waived.  You can all post at night.

If you are dead, though, that's it: You may make only a single post more on this thread, and it is requested that the post not contain any game-relevant information  "Bye" "Go Team" or "I got killed? This sucks." are pretty standard reactions.  When that happens, consider checking out other games in Paranoia Paradise

It is now Day 1, the game begins!

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

So Tevish didn't mention it, but unless the PM received said otherwise you are not supposed to talk about the game outside of the game itself.

You may also notice the experienced players here using acronyms and terms that are unfamiliar. If you don't know what someone means, feel free to ask.
snapping fingers (i tried to put a youtube video of west side story in a spoiler but wotc doesn't like that. D: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxoC5Oyf_ss&feat...)

Good luck everybody.
Is there a color-alignment you think designates pro or anti town? I just did a cursory count of rares, for example, and found 29 pro-town if "town" is defined as Izzet, Azorius, and Selesnya, and 24 "mafia" if mafia is Golgari and Rakdos and some artifacts. (Numbers may be skewed bc I'm at work and counting quickly.)

And yeah, good luck peoples.  

Based solely on his name, and indicating that he kills, like the mafia do,

Vote: FirstTurnKill 

Mafia Record

Mafia Games

Mana Symbols

Combat Step

Is there a color-alignment you think designates pro or anti town? I just did a cursory count of rares, for example, and found 29 pro-town if "town" is defined as Izzet, Azorius, and Selesnya, and 24 "mafia" if mafia is Golgari and Rakdos and some artifacts. (Numbers may be skewed bc I'm at work and counting quickly.)

And yeah, good luck peoples.  

The last set we played (Innistrad here :community.wizards.com/paranoia/go/thread...(Game_over,_town_victory)) there was no clear-cut alignment by either color or cards. It made for some speculation, but too much along those lines just leaves the game open for manipulation by mafia.

Mafia Record

Mafia Games

Mana Symbols

Combat Step

Vote: Pigfans. Being the 13th person to join the game? Suspicious!
Vote: PeregrineV

First for double posting!!!! Trying to control the thread in a mafia-like fashion--come on, now.

Plus the 16th pick is a land, right? Who wants to kill the land? Only the evil.  

Hallo, Hallo.

Tevish may not have mentioned it, but I'm JD and I'll be your resident assistant GO for this game. You may see me popping in and out from time to time doing vote counts and the like. Additionally for you fresh faces, if you have any questions on the basics of mafia or your role in particular feel free to pm me if you can't get a hold of tevish.

Happy hunting.

This is a signature.

I assure you, I did not plan on 2 July, 2011, when creating my username, that I would be mafia in a mafia game.  For full disclosure, I am normally aliased on the Intertubes as Planeshaper, though that was taken here.  I find your reasoning suspicious, and am unsure of your motive, just to let you know.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Vote: PV

Obvobv scum after being the first to vote!
SoM Mafia - Mirran-Aligned Mason - Killed Night 5 - Mafia win Iron Maiden Mafia (Classic) - Mafia-aligned Vanilla - Lived - Mafia Win - MVP PK Hates you (Int) - Mafia Don - Lived - Mafia Flawless Victory Toxic Waste Mafia (PC#3) - Mafia-aligned Roleblocker turned Hive-aligned Roleblocker - Hive win - MVP Basic #4: The Orchard Tree Mafia - Town-aligned Apple - Killed Night 4 - Mafia Win Mono has Mono, the privates story - Mafia-aligned Godfather - Lived - Mafia Win Touhou: Border Collapse (PC#4) - Sakuya Izayoi - Died Night 2 - Mafia win Tales of Symphonia (Int+) - Presea Combatir, Taciturn Girl - Lived - Town Win Sunflowers for Ragnarokio (PC#5) - In progress

I assure you, I did not plan on 2 July, 2011, when creating my username, that I would be mafia in a mafia game.  For full disclosure, I am normally aliased on the Intertubes as Planeshaper, though that was taken here.  I find your reasoning suspicious, and am unsure of your motive, just to let you know.

On a more serious note, this feels more like an overreaction and suspicious defense than just response to a joke vote...
On a more serious note, this feels more like an overreaction and suspicious defense than just response to a joke vote...

Eh, sometime the dry humor doesn't come across =/

rstnme's comment is interesting though.  If some is just the basic land card...would they be town or mafia?

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Vote: Pigfans. Being the 13th person to join the game? Suspicious!

You are looking for a weird and bad reason to trick people I see...

Not suspicious at all.
Pigfans has done nothing.
Also 13th Person looks like a stupid reason just to make your pick seem legitament.
I do not think it is legitiment though since you are trying to sneakily appeal to supersition people.

So:

Vote: Lobster667

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

First for double posting!!!! Trying to control the thread in a mafia-like fashion--come on, now.

Plus the 16th pick is a land, right? Who wants to kill the land? Only the evil.  

Just wait, it gets worse. I type slowly, but I spend a lot of time at work waiting for reports to run. This gives me lots of time to come in here and find scum.*

*A flattering nickname for any non-town alignment.

Mafia Record

Mafia Games

Mana Symbols

Combat Step

Vote: PV

Obvobv scum after being the first to vote!

You know that the vote and the lynch are the town's primary tools for scumhunting*. Why is being the first to vote scummy?**

*scumhunting-the act of playing mafia and try to locate the mafia players

**scummy-actions that are not in the best interest of town, usually indicating scum

rstnme's comment is interesting though.  If some is just the basic land card...would they be town or mafia?

I think last game we were really all creautures. If this game is a mix of creautures, land, instants, etc., then that is a good question.

Mafia Record

Mafia Games

Mana Symbols

Combat Step

First to vote someone out? Didn't even wait for a hint? Who would be so eager to want someone dead for so small a reason?

Edit: After trying to fix this twenty times, I give up. Dumb Forums. I'm voting for PeregrineV.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:

Fair enough, internet humor is hard sometimes ^.^

@PV: My vote for you was just as much of a joke as your vote in case it was unclear from the post after.
Sign In to post comments