Character Builder for Linux

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been asking for a while for an update to the character builder that would make it compatible with linux.  As it seems that my pleas have gone unanswered, I have to ask if anyone knows a good online character builder that I can use.  I was hoping that WOTC would switch over to HTML5 when Microsoft announced that they were abandoning development of Silverlight.  There are a few builders that I have tried, but they didnt work all that well.

At the moment I have been logging into a VM when I have been wanting to make a new character using the builder, but it is a hassle to do so. 
I have been asking for a while for an update to the character builder that would make it compatible with linux.  As it seems that my pleas have gone unanswered, I have to ask if anyone knows a good online character builder that I can use.  I was hoping that WOTC would switch over to HTML5 when Microsoft announced that they were abandoning development of Silverlight.  There are a few builders that I have tried, but they didnt work all that well.

At the moment I have been logging into a VM when I have been wanting to make a new character using the builder, but it is a hassle to do so. 

Yeah, there's no chance they're going to do any more work of any kind on 4e DDI tools. There was no way they were going to abandon Silverlight either, since it presumably let them reuse a LOT of their .NET code from the offline builder and probably share some with their server side stuff. HTML5 is a great theory but it is not even close to a viable environment for complex apps. Even if you DO manage to get something to work in the latest couple of browsers tech support is a nightmare and development is about 1/10th as fast as with a good GUI toolkit.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
If not HTML5, then Flash(though I know that is slowly going away as well) or C#, or some other programming language that I may not have thought of.  I just want to fully utilize the character builder without falling into a Virtual Machine if I want to create or alter a character on the website.  

And that still doesn't answer my question about what alternate character builders there are out there.  I am growing a hair desperate as most of the builders I have found are either far out of date or buggy enough that they are nigh impossible to use.
i have just started toying with linux (close to making the move permanent at home). I have found with the new netflix for linux, i can get to the character builder and run it, i just havent figured out how to make pdf print outs from the character sheet page

alt+d for the address bar from the netflix install, tested on mint 14 
Sign In to post comments