Dimir "Rogues' Gallery" Deck List & Strategy Discussion

828 posts / 0 new
Last post
Good find

Edit:  HOLY Shitballs!  This is going to cause so many ragequits.  And, NO, I don't mean people simply conceeding a game, they WILL ACTUALLY RAGE QUIT.

I don't want to be too overreactionary without playing the deck, but this is easily the Beknigted deck of DotP2013.  Sure, everything dies to removal blah blah blah.  I don't care.  If you don't have your sweepers in hand, there's a good chance I'm just going to go in your deck and remove them from the game.  If you do have your removal/sweepers in hand, I'm gonna make you discard them. 

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Soo much card draw and discard, I love it. Can't wait for this deck pack.

U/B unblockable aggro. Invisible Stalker, Shadowmage Infiltrator, Ghastlord of Fugue, Sleeper's Robe, Hada Spy Patrol, Tormented Soul, Harbor Bandit, Mask of Riddles, etc.

youtu.be/_WoLjpiCQKA?t=4s

Lands

Creatures
[deck]1 Abyssal Specter
2 Barony Vampire
1 Crafty Pathmage
1 Dimir Cutpurse
2 Dimir Guildmage
1 Harvester of Souls
2 Inkfathom Infiltrator
1 Invisible Stalker
1 Mindleech Mass
2 Moroii
2 Phantom Warrior
1 Scroll Thief
1 Shoreline Salvager
2 Walking Corpse[/deck]

Other spells
[deck]3 Agony Warp
2 Flight of Fancy
1 Followed Footsteps
1 Helm of the Ghastlord
2 Infiltrate
1 Mask of Riddles
2 Necromantic Thirst
2 Ribbons of Night
1 Soul Manipulation[/deck]

Unlocks

[deck]
1 Glen Elendra Liege
1 Agony Warp
1 Flight of Fancy
1 Neurok Invisimancer
1 Dire Undercurrents
1 Unliving Psychopath
1 Extract
1 Ghastlord of Fugue
1 Moroii
1 Hellcarver Demon
1 Helm of the Ghastlord
1 Sangromancer
1 Barrin's Spite
1 Laquatus's Champion
1 Glimpse the Unthinkable
1 Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
1 Dimir Cutpurse
1 Memory Plunder
1 Mephidross Vampire
1 Wrexial, the Risen Deep
1 Neurok Invisimancer
1 Followed Footsteps
1 Ashling, the Extinguisher
1 Barrin's Spite
1 Painful Quandary
1 Helm of the Ghastlord
1 Crafty Pathmage
1 Royal Assassin
1 Nemesis of Reason[/deck]
Can OP make the cards clickable?

EDIT NM
I like it. This will make the control decks cry. That said, sixty is overreacting, because this deck don't have any chance of being OP. It's SLOW, very slow. Something like PK will just laugh at this deck. But, as a control deck, that should be true anyways. Very well positioned in the meta: yes. OP: not even close.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I like it. This will make the control decks cry. That said, sixty is overreacting, because this deck don't have any chance of being OP. It's SLOW, very slow. Something like PK will just laugh at this deck. But, as a control deck, that should be true anyways. Very well positioned in the meta: yes. OP: not even close.

I hope your right

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I hope your right

Note that I still think Beknighted wasn't even the best deck last year. So, you can say I'm a little biased about those things :P

But look at the control decks we have this year that don't have sweepers and see how bad they are against aggro and you'll start to think like me.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Wow, I had a feeling this deck would be powerful. There's so many routes you can choose here and soooo much card draw. So many combos of dealing damage and drawing cards. Painful quandry = GG

I hope your right

These creatures need to get through for the deck to do anything. The deck doesn't have anything too exciting to draw into (barely any removal), but that might not matter. If it wins, it could win big time. But if it has a slow start, it'll be really frustrating to play.

Still, it looks pretty good.
After seeing that "what do you think Boros will look like?" topic pop up I decided to try seeing if I could come up with my own list for how I thought the Dimir deck could look. I suspected themes around card advantage through draw/discard with evasive unblockable/flying creatures and a hint of vampires. Several of these cards were exactly the ones I was looking at as possibilities for this deck. If anything this deck looks more powerful than what I was aiming for. I think I will be quite happy with this deck regardless of whether it's consistered top or low tier.
Cute looking deck. I have my doubts on how powerful it might actually be. When the deck gets set up and the draw/discard engines are rolling, it'll feel like a powerhouse sure, but I actually think there will some difficulty in getting to that point. Speed appears to be an issue as pointed out, and there seems to be a large reliance on creatures to get the engines rolling yet there is little initial protection for them. That's a weakness some decks should be able to utilize to keep this deck in line.

Pretty decent anti-aggro cards though. Agony Warp should be potent and Ribbons of Night gives a lot of value. Plus Barrin's Spite seems like it'll provide some nice tempo swings, and either help the deck set up or swing on in by removing multiple dudes.

The best thing I enjoy about this right now though is that it's not another rehashing of the UB artifact deck. It's a real UB deck with fairly exciting UB spells and creatures and that's cool.

These creatures need to get through for the deck to do anything.

That's generally what "unblockable" means.

You're a lose cannon.

And? Only one creature with unblockable in the deck actually has the draw/discard effect. Only five cards give unblockable and only the two Crafty Pathmages are repeatable. Only four cards in the deck give the draw/discard effect, which is the one Mask of Ridles and the three Helm of the Ghastlords (leaves you wide open for a two for one against the bajillion removal spells that other decks have).

It's not always going to work out. It's definitely not OP. If it's too slow, it doesn't have any good removal to deal with the opponent's creatures. It doesn't have any good straight up card draw either (the only cards I could find that let you draw cards as they come into play are the two Ribbons of Night and the three Flights of Fancy). It looks like it'll be good though.

And? Only one creature with unblockable in the deck actually has the draw/discard effect. Only five cards give unblockable and only the two Crafty Pathmages are repeatable. Only four cards in the deck give the draw/discard effect, which is the one Mask of Ridles and the three Helm of the Ghastlords (leaves you wide open for a two for one against the bajillion removal spells that other decks have).

I only use 4 Natures Lore (as opposed to using Cultivate as well) in PI and I get those consistantly.  Having 5 cards that give my creatures unblockable is more than enough.

You're a lose cannon.

I only use 4 Natures Lore (as opposed to using Cultivate as well) in PI and I get those consistantly.  Having 5 cards that give my creatures unblockable is more than enough.

Keep in mind they have to be used in conjunction with a creature already on the board and you'll have to hope and pray the card given unblockability isn't immediately killed.

And in the cases where you get a creature through with the one time use unblockable effects, you're basically just replacing a card and having the opponent discard one card in most cases (actually, I'm not sure what the split is on draw 1/discard 1, draw 1, and discard 1). Not quite devastating.

I mean, obviously the very limited Pack Instincts is going to struggle against this deck, but decks like Obedient Dead, Chandra, Exalted, Golgari, Rakdos and Goblins? Possibly even Peacekeepers and Izzet, but with their removal either being Sorcery speed or a little weak until the late game, it's not certain. Anyway, it ain't OP.
Looks interesting.
Nice, it looks like a really fun deck, can't wait to try it.
Posted on today's Arcana, probably gone now but...

Did you happen to get the name of the deck?

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

At first look I kinda thought this was a boring deck.. Same feeling i had with Azorius... I hate cards you can interact with (unblockables)... But when I looked through the cards I think it is interesting. Draw/discard is a nice U/B shtick..
Just too slow IMO; it needs some proper stall. Baleful Strix/Tidehollow Strix/walls and some sweeps would make a world of difference.
Painful Quandary! I love Painful Quandary!

Now, if only we could get some Liliana's Caress in the promo unlocks...
oh, wait..
Just too slow IMO; it needs some proper stall. Baleful Strix/Tidehollow Strix/walls and some sweeps would make a world of difference.

Painful Quandary! I love Painful Quandary!

Now, if only we could get some Liliana's Caress in the promo unlocks...
oh, wait..

Yeah that....
Can anyone confirm that this is the set list that was spoiled eariler today or we just have take his word for it? I think I need some evidence or else this is just another wish list deck.
Can anyone confirm that this is the set list that was spoiled eariler today or we just have take his word for it? I think I need some evidence or else this is just another wish list deck.

It looks like a DotP deck...Despite being it's decidedly light on removal.
And there's only 30 unlocks, so...there's that.

If it were a wish list, it would have had to have been made in the last 12 hours with prior knowledge that there were no promos.

Seems legit.

Someone posted the list on DailyMTG insted of Sky and Scale. It's now removed, but I think it's the final list.

There is no edivence anymore, it was removed as ominously as it was posted. So it was kinda like that "forest - tree" methapor. You will have to jump in the dark on this one I guess?

Your post indicates you need a hand walking through life, though. Sad. 

I understand that the creator of this thread said he saw it on DailyMTG I'm just asking if anyone else confirm it. I could come up with a deck list and say I saw it somewhere but now its gone too. Just being a little pessimistic.

I saw the list on DailyMTG and can confirm that this is indeed true. Now, if two people telling you the same thing still isn't enough, you'll just have to keep being sceptical.

Keep in mind they have to be used in conjunction with a creature already on the board and you'll have to hope and pray the card given unblockability isn't immediately killed.

And in the cases where you get a creature through with the one time use unblockable effects, you're basically just replacing a card and having the opponent discard one card in most cases (actually, I'm not sure what the split is on draw 1/discard 1, draw 1, and discard 1). Not quite devastating.

I mean, obviously the very limited Pack Instincts is going to struggle against this deck, but decks like Obedient Dead, Chandra, Exalted, Golgari, Rakdos and Goblins? Possibly even Peacekeepers and Izzet, but with their removal either being Sorcery speed or a little weak until the late game, it's not certain. Anyway, it ain't OP.

Thank you for teaching me how to play magic.

I understand that the creator of this thread said he saw it on DailyMTG I'm just asking if anyone else confirm it. I could come up with a deck list and say I saw it somewhere but now its gone too. Just being a little pessimistic.

It was up yesterday from the point this thread was made up until atleast 1030pm PT.  I can confirm that I saw this exact decklist posted in the article that he linked.  I had to go to the post because the OP failed to create links to the card he just did a straight copy and paste of the text on the article.

(I think that's 4 people now who confirm they saw it)

Your post indicates you need a hand walking through life, though. Sad. 

That's a little harsh for someone who's simply being a sceptic.  i'd probably have thought the same thing if I hadn't seen it for myself.

You're a lose cannon.

Dimir Guildmage is so so good in a format such as dotp. I almost want it to feel like a miniature Liliana of the Veil for this game, even though it doesnt really come close lol. Also yeah I saw the list up there too, its likely legitimate.
Sorry guys i posted the deck to early its coming out  at the next drop
Sorry guys i posted the deck to early its coming out  at the next drop

It's cool, we all assumed that it was a mistake on their web guy's part and that it is probably coming in deck pack 2 or 3.  Thank you for posting it early.

You're a lose cannon.

No problem  i enjoy taking credit for  others.   lol
I'm excited about this deck. There's bounce, discard, card draw, combat tricks, and playing your opponent's cards against them. It doesn't have everything I wanted, but I kept my list of wants for this deck short (the list is lacking in Recoil and Consult the Necrosages). I'd say I wished there was more bounce to go with the discard, but I feel that would probably make the deck too good. Really looking forward to the turn 3 Dimir Cutpurse, turn 4 Barrin's Spite. Oh, you have 2 creatures? Kill one of them, bounce the other, take 2 damage, I'll draw a card, and you can discard a card.
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp2013/ Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/ I am Blue/White
LOL, I don't even have access to the new deck pack and I'm already getting excited about the next!

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

I'm excited about this deck. There's bounce, discard, card draw, combat tricks, and playing your opponent's cards against them. It doesn't have everything I wanted, but I kept my list of wants for this deck short (the list is lacking in Recoil and Consult the Necrosages). I'd say I wished there was more bounce to go with the discard, but I feel that would probably make the deck too good. Really looking forward to the turn 3 Dimir Cutpurse, turn 4 Barrin's Spite. Oh, you have 2 creatures? Kill one of them, bounce the other, take 2 damage, I'll draw a card, and you can discard a card.

Recoil would have been amazing.

I wonder if anyone would have run Urza's Guilt if it were in there without Liliana's Caress...
These noninteractive decks are bad for dotp. Combine unblockable creatures and discard, nobody is going to want to play against this deck, and rightfully so. It's just not fun.
Just for info, the deck's name is "Rogues Gallery".
And not a Shadowmage Infiltrator to be found. It's such an historic card in Magic history and fits so well in this deck. A shame.
Just for info, the deck's name is "Rogues Gallery".

Did you find that inside the patch data? Any news regarding other decks?