Dragon's Eye View: Short People

When I was at Gen Con this year, I did a bit of a spoiler and leaked (on purpose) some of the imagery on today's subject. I even did a short presentation in the Art of D&D Next panel that revealed even more on the subject. If you attended that event, this article won't come as any big surprise, but now you'll have a chance to officially respond, and hopefully I'll provide you with some additional information and background.

Take a look at Halflings in this week's Dragon's Eye View

Discuss this article here. 

All around helpful simian

Halflings have always been my favorite race, because they've felt the most approachable.  It's a tricky thing to retain that sense of wholesomeness while transposing it into the heroic lifestyle, and that's something I really wish would have been addressed in this article.

The metagame is not the game.

This is probably the first and only thing from D&DNext i will say...i love it.  They don't looks like children, they do looks like they are halfling even when not having something next to it to compare size (alot of halfling artwork, they looks more like human or half-elf when not having something next to them to notice their size, they don't looks like Tolkien's Hobbit too

The best way for me to describe them is...they looks very Pixar like....i aprovee! 
I don't like those misformed cartoonish 'Flings. They don't look like Halflings to me. Those guys have hands bigger than their feet and heads bigger than their torso. Almost fit James yesterday's aberration! :P

My Halflings are proportioned (often chubby) hairy footed creature.

I don't like those misformed cartoonish 'Flings. They don't look like Halflings to me. Those guys have hands bigger than their feet and heads bigger than their torso. Almost fit James yesterday's aberration! :P

My Halflings are proportionate (often chubby) hairy footed creature.

I prefer D&D to actually having an identity of their races, instead of being a carbon copy of Tolkien's.  This kind of comment convince me that this franchise is doomed now, it won't survive much long if it doesn't try to have it's own identity instead of being "that generic fantasy RPG", and looks like the fault is for people that don't let go of their nostalgia without notice that...what was fresh 30 years ago...is generic now, it's the target of parody and ridicule from other franchises and media...
Halflings, as a race, are silly and ridiculous, and these images look silly and ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, this is perfect.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
This kind of comment convince me that this franchise is doomed now

Don't worry mex, D&D isn't doomed because i don't like these very unusual looking 'Flings. :P

This kind of comment convince me that this franchise is doomed now

Don't worry mex, D&D isn't doomed because i don't like these very unusual looking 'Flings. :P

What i mean is that people holding back the franchise from getting it's own identity and keep it generic and uninspired...
While one of Next's goal is for D&D to return to its roots, it look like they try hard to give the Halfling its own identity in D&D and unTolkienize it for some reasons. But the thing is, for many people, D&D Halflings, Elves and Dwarves are the demihumans inspired by Tolkien, as unispiring as it can be for others.    

What's next, fat moustached Elves and skinny hairless Dwarves ?  Wink

Seriously though, perhaps both genre can exist and fit in the diversified apparances aspect Jon spoke some time ago ? I wouldn't mind unless all Halflings must look like those portrayed today.
Jon and Art Department,

I really like this! While watching the video recap of GenCon (not able to attend) I really liked the images you leaked, and it actually made me pay closer attention to Dragon-Eye View. I am a visual person, and like the idea of your world bible, I would love a DNDNext 1000 NPC Book, and am very happy so far with the playtes (I do have some comments in the negative, but I will save that for the survey). Having started playing in 1980 I have an endearing passion for D&D, and I am very happy to take part in the playtest, the Polls, and helping to work very hard to design the next version of DND for my kids, grandkids (not yet of course) and me!

Keep up the great work, I am dying to see more!!   

Hmmm...
The giant heads look ridiculus. Awfully cartoonish too.

Something to take into consideration is that Halflings are just as intelligent as Humans, and a head that looked proportional to us would seriously hurt them in the brains department.

Of course, realism looks un-realistic.

Something to take into consideration is that Halflings are just as intelligent as Humans, and a head that looked proportional to us would seriously hurt them in the brains department.

How the hell do these halflings successfully breed?
Well, okay, the actual breeding part is obvious, but the part afterwords where a small halfling has to emerge from another halfling seems geometrically impossible.

Well, okay, the actual breeding part is obvious, but the part afterwords where a small halfling has to emerge from another halfling seems geometrically impossible.

Do you really have to take that into consideration? man...you are so inmature...
I hate everything about this direction for Halflings.  3.x had it right.

This... this is just horrifying. 
Stay Frosty! - Shado
Do you really have to take that into consideration? man...you are so inmature...

How is it immature to point out an obvious anatomical flaw?

All the bicking about martial "realism", but impossibly large heads get a free pass?

How is it immature to point out an obvious anatomical flaw?

What's next...point out the biology of the conception of the Draegloth? wish is a interbreed between a female drow...who are abit smaller than human size...and a Glabrezu...who are categorized as Huge and are 15 feet high?....yes.  There are biological things better left unanswered.
I have zero interest in this direction for halflings.  Even less interest in this direction for the art for halflings.

Yes, less than zero interest.

Ugh.  Does that sound like disgust on the internet?  If it doesn't, know that that is the sound I want to convey: the sound of disgust.

Oh, and head-shaking.

Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
here are biological things better left unanswered.

Okay, but that still doesn't explain why they look so much like Stephen Fry.

here are biological things better left unanswered.

Okay, but that still doesn't explain why they look so much like Stephen Fry.

Who cares, it's just an artstyle, we are not being god or something like that and making a race of beings by gene manipulation, it's just an abstraction of an image to represent something...The proportions are made to represent their size without the need to have something along side them to represent their size...Halfling art when drawn realistic...looks exactly like humans and there is no way to distinguish them from human beside the square like ears if you don't put them next to a human...
I love this look for halflings. I've never wanted to play a halfling before. They have verve now!

D&D has been so obsessed with the cliche "cool" look for characters and monsters it's lost sight of the mystical whimsy of fantasy. 4e especially tried way too hard to be total-gnarly-anime-scary-cool.

Badassery and grit and grime have their place in the game's art, but when there's no balancing factors it comes across as immature. Not everybody wants to dual-wield bastard swords and brood from the shadows with a boxer's nose and a caveman's brow.
I love this look for halflings. I've never wanted to play a halfling before. They have verve now!

D&D has been so obsessed with the cliche "cool" look for characters and monsters it's lost sight of the mystical whimsy of fantasy. 4e especially tried way too hard to be total-gnarly-anime-scary-cool.

Badassery and grit and grime have their place in the game's art, but when there's no balancing factors it comes across as immature. Not everybody wants to dual-wield bastard swords and brood from the shadows with a boxer's nose and a caveman's brow.

Yeah, the 80s/90s is over...we already got pass the Rob Liefeld era of artstyle...thanks god...
Yeah, the 80s/90s is over...we already got pass the Rob Liefeld era of artstyle...thanks god...

What, you act like Liefeld is a terrible artist who can't draw feet and thinks tails sprout directly from buttocks.

Beyond my utter dislike of this halfling, I think the biggest mark against these halflings is that they don't fit into the art style of the rest of D&D. If Halflings are supposed to be a Core Race, I don't see how they could co-exist in the same art as a Mohrg or Mind Flayer without the monsters being drawn cartoonishly as well. Can you see Wayne Reynolds drawing a 5ed Halfling? Well?

Yes, making them more cartoonish is not like anime at all.  

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Well put, Kalandri.  I have a really hard time taking anything seriously when it is presented as seriously as it was.  They were trying way too hard.  Better to present more grounded, reasonable characters, so that we can appreciate what awesomeness they do possess.
Yes, making them more cartoonish is not like anime at all.   

Blame society for its development of the English language.  "Cartoons" have a completely different subtext than "anime", even though they both have the same literal definition.  None of the images I saw were moving though, so for what's worth, you're both wrong on that account

It could be worse

Laughing

Always I have felt a special empathy for D&D little PC races (and for gnomes precisely because they have been less popular, like if they suffered a virtual marginalization)..

But little PC races most of times have been rogues or spellcasters (bard or wizard ilusionist). I know they weren´t created to be fighter with heavy armour, but I have missed more martial classes with light armor could be used by "short people" like duskblade, swashbuckler, factotum, or spellthief (playing only rogues, ilusionist or bard gnomes is boring). I wish class options for little PC races. I don´t want only rogues haflings and bard gnomes. 

When I discoverd D&D it was the second edition, the AD&D, (the picture by Jim Holloway in my first monster compendium) and the canon hafling was like Tolkien´s  hobbits. Kenders from Dragonlance were still unknown by most of people. 

This (Dungeons of Dread) was my first D&D book (I was a child, and I didn´t know yet the link between "endless quest" gamebooks and (at that time) a new cartoon serie about a group of children and a villain with the name Venger: Dungeons and Dragons).

Cover Picture by Larry Elmore. The character you can see in the left is the first D&D hafling I saw. I was a child and the word "hobbit" was only the tittle of a book I never read...(who was Tolkien? Oh, yes I rembember there was a cartoon movie with the name Lord of the Rings, I saw it with by VHS video, but only that). My first contact with D&D franchise and names like orcs or kobolds was by those gamebooks.  

I edit to add this:

www.jimhollowayart.com/id1.html

About D&D hobbit-like hafling. I suposse the coming soon hobbit trilogy in the cinemas is too important, a great influence,  and I love that version of "innocent short people from country", like characters from a children cartoon TV show....they are wonderful nPCs .................

......but I am afraid it is a horrible background for PCs. But I don´t worry because subraces can allow both versions in the same world (in my homebreed settins).

AD&D haflings (hairfeet, tallfellow, and stouts) aren´t totally forgotten by me. Always I have been used to that version, and if now it is wanted to be recovered now I don´t mind too much.

A rebember "Races of wild" and "Races of stone" had got a special feat about elf or dwarfs ancestors or like this..and they allow you get the subtype dwarf or elf. 

Could be possible....

tallfellow = hafling with elftouched bloodline feat? 
stout = hafling with dwarftouched bloodline feat?

I  agree (always barefoot) hairfeet are too ridiculous. Do wear shoes or sandals!!! I don´t miss those (The hairfeet adventurers become extinted when dungeons builders started to create poisonous traps for naked feet, and rooms with frozen floor..didn´t they?)

* About kenders. A character like Tasslehoff Burrfoot is fun, but a total society like Tas end up being annoying. Lots of players can´t roleplay a fresh and daredevil kender for long time trying be the fun boy of the group. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Halflings, as a race, are silly and ridiculous, and these images look silly and ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, this is perfect.

It does sorta fit.

That having been said, this isn't a significant move away for Hobbits. The emphasis on Halfling culture being shire bound creatures that very rarely produce adventurers calls into question how long before the Tolkien estate brings the bann-hammer down on this pretty blatant rip off. The "ties to nature" are so vauge and not reflected in the art that they are words alone.

"Classic" Halflings are Hobbit rip offs. With DDN's worshipful attitude to pre-WotC D&D (not entirely a bad thing, but in this instance, I feel the baby is going out with the wash), this Halfling is no surprise. 

I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
Hey Mr Tolkien, we are using your elves, dwarves, humans, orcs, goblins, trolls, wargs, wraiths and wights but we are not using your hobbit so everything is okay.

EDIT: Oh, and no worries about that silly dragon, either, its totally insignificant to a fantasy setting

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Hey Mr Tolkien, we are using your elves, dwarves, humans, orcs, goblins, trolls, wargs, wraiths and wights but we are not using your hobbit so everything is okay.

EDIT: Oh, and no worries about that silly dragon, either, its totally insignificant to a fantasy setting

Actually, we're pretty clearly not using Tolkien's Trolls or Goblin/Orc.
Tolkien is far from having a monopoly on Dragons, wights, wargs or other Norse mythological baddies, especially as they exist in D&D.
Same for non-Ring Wraiths.

Arguably the Elf and Dwarf are pretty direct Tolkien rips, for while they exist in mythologies, their D&D incarnations are lifted from something more recent literary.

The Halfling, is, was, and seems likely to usually be a Hobbit.

I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.

The same way humans do, but more so.  The childs skull is not fully formed, it's has plates but they can flex.
[sblock like so][/sblock]
So a halfling child has even more divisions, and more flexibility.  Halflings women are more flexible as well.  

Smaller animals also have less bone-to-mass ratio.  Meaning the woman can be more flexible.

They also develop less in the womb and more after birth.  Premature human babies are very tiny
[sblock like so][/sblock]
This also means they are infants longer.  Possibly not crawling until a year, instead of the 7-10 months humans have.  And start walking at a year and a half, rather then the year.

And since they spend more time as children, and have to spend more time taking care of their young, they have a much more child like outlook on the world.  As well as have stronger family ties.

So everything fits.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

And back into nightmarish problems for the designers. Halflings are going to be a huge problem, both because of the Hobbit copyright problems and 4e halflings being radically different. That said, I think they are heading in the right direction, I like the general apperance of the artwork. I think it still needs some fine tuning though. The slightly out of human proportion head works, but a lot of the images have too circular of heads. I think they need a bit more angle to them.

I think they also need to address what they are going to do with Gnomes when talking about Halfings. The two small races naturally have a lot of conceputal overlap, and they need to be aware of how changing one affects the other. Gnomes have traditionally had a lot of the nature oriented lifestyle they talk about here for Halflings. They could easily fix this by pushing Gnomes more in the direction of being magical, but we shall see.

I really like this art direction.  They definitely look like halflings to me, even without any size references in the picture.  It gives them a nice childlike innocence and invokes a calm yet curious attitude toward life.

In terms of Halflings vs. Gnomes, I always felt that Gnomes stand out because of the mischievous trickster angle.  I can see them with more pointed ears, more angular eyes and eyebrows (giving them an almost sinister look).  I also like the solid eye color idea from 4E: gives them an air of mystery and highlights the fey trickster nature of them.  Essentially, halflings are round, gnomes are angular.

Unless WotC is trying to aim below 12 for 5e, it should opt for more gritty images. 

Well, Disney is buying D&D, right?

I actually totally dig these images, except for that god-awful balloon-headed chick.

And yes, the Tolkien estate *cough*Sam: milk my grandfather's genius*cough*... 
And speaking of races, in general, I do think they could've thrown us a new character race by now (gnome, half-elf and/or half-orc).

...ooh, Orc, there's another one...Sam's ears are burning... 
when it comes to halflings i still picture them like this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXsIMJxNleY&feat...

I am with Qmark on this one.  Human babies fit because we have fontanelles and fissures in our skulls.  However, the skull is still quite stable and able to do its primary job once out, protect the brain.  If there are more fissures, the skull would be less stable and able to maintain its shape, potentially resulting in damage to the brain.  Although, if humans change proportions as we age.  Halflings as depicted have the proportions of a human toddler, which might make it more feasible.  However, toddlers have poor balance and very fragile cervical vertebrae due to their oversized heads.  A halfling would be at risk for severe spinal injuries their entire lives and definitely have balance issues.

These look cartoony and lame.

+1

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

As much as it pains me to say it, yes, this is something 3e actually did right.

These guys look ridiculous.  The nimble, agile, adventurous, brave halflings of 3e and 4e need to say.  No lazy useless fatlings.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />I think they also need to address what they are going to do with Gnomes when talking about Halfings. The two small races naturally have a lot of conceputal overlap, and they need to be aware of how changing one affects the other. Gnomes have traditionally had a lot of the nature oriented lifestyle they talk about here for Halflings. They could easily fix this by pushing Gnomes more in the direction of being magical, but we shall see.

Kenders/3.5/4E Halflings aside, I always saw the Hobbity Halflings as a childlike race, with the Tolkien Dwarfs as stereotypically masculine "Dads"--all tough and grouchy, and even the women have beards! (maybe)-- and Elves as stereotypically feminine "Moms" (graceful, beautiful, tied to nature). Gnomes could fit in this "family" as a race of stereotypically little "old" people, being eccentric, cranky, and knowledgeable.

That said, I have seen fewer Halflings played in my current group than Dwarves, Genasi, Dragonborn, Humans, Shifters, Warforged, Wilden, Tieflings, and Drow. I am just hoping that Halflings, like each playable race, are distinct and fun to play, and that Halflings avoid any Hobbit-related lawsuits.

+1

The bones say...nothing

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

As much as it pains me to say it, yes, this is something 3e actually did right.

These guys look ridiculous.  The nimble, agile, adventurous, brave halflings of 3e and 4e need to say.  No lazy useless fatlings.

You mean the Kender ripoff halflings?  At least they took inspiration from D&D, not an outside source.
Sign In to post comments