Are there bug fixes or not?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
EDIT:
The following was addressed to Wizards_Sean.  Someone has edited the title of my thread to no longer reflect that.
(original post follows.)

A number of people (including myself) have asked this in a couple of threads about the deck pack and the update patch, and I have not seen any answer one way or another.  Did any of the bugs that have been reported over the past few months get addressed with this new code?
Thank you for the updates on the features.
Of course I want to give them a chance, but this is starting to look suspiciously like D13 is going to be abandoned.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
I really don't think they care about the bugs.  I think there have been 1 or 2 actual bugs fixed.  I refused to buy this game, and was quite vocal about it before and after it came out, until a patch was announced.  They did that, and it came out.  Most of it fixed things that were't bugs but things like Toughness being 5 instead of 4 which was either a typo in the original code or how the card was originally intended before they changed it last minute for the print version.  At which time it was too late to change the digital card in DotP before launch.  Oh yeah, and they bent over to fix a card that wasn't glitched but that everyone was complaining about how it worked in 2HG even though it was working as intended and how the card actually works in the printed version.  So not really a glitch.

After that patch was announced, I bought the game.  I figured they were actually going to put effort into fixing things this time around.

I was wrong.  1 patch.  And it didn't do a whole lot.  And it was several months ago.  And they have kept quite since then.

Sean doesn't really say much.  All he does is "Pass things along to the developers."  I used to work phone customer support for a major corporation, and he really seems more like customer support than he does a community liason.  I'm sure he does pass on our complaints.  I'm also sure 98% of what he passes on falls on deaf ears.  I'm not trying to pile on him.  It's not his fault, he's doing the job he was hired to do.  But yeah, this game gets little support once it's released.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I'd like for Greater Good to not be busted online. The effect usually triggers twice and I've decked myself once because of it. That sucked!
I'd like for Greater Good to not be busted online. The effect usually triggers twice and I've decked myself once because of it. That sucked!

I hate that. I love Greater Good and it saddens me greatly when this 'glitch' happens, it has gotten so bad to the point where I can't even run the card anymore. =(
Sean doesn't really say much.  All he does is "Pass things along to the developers."  I used to work phone customer support for a major corporation, and he really seems more like customer support than he does a community liason.  I'm sure he does pass on our complaints.  I'm also sure 98% of what he passes on falls on deaf ears.  I'm not trying to pile on him.  It's not his fault, he's doing the job he was hired to do.  But yeah, this game gets little support once it's released.

I'm not expecting him to say much about the bugs or fixes themselves.  I know he's just a rep.
I'd just like 1) some solid information about this product.  and 2) not simply ignoring a question posed by a number of people *in discussions he's started about this patch*.

Instead, we get someone editing the title of this thread so that it doesn't even pertain to him, it just looks like a discussion among us the community.

whatever.
Sean, may we please have the patch notes?
Oh yeah, and they bent over to fix a card that wasn't glitched but that everyone was complaining about how it worked in 2HG even though it was working as intended and how the card actually works in the printed version.  So not really a glitch.

It was to my understanding that actually, due to how life is recognised in 2HG rules that it wouldn't be getting it's +/+ due to life difference at all and that the way it was fixed in duels actually brought it closer to how it works in paper magic.
I don't really know the rules but I thought for something like that it counts the total life in half or soemthing like that in paper magic, so in this case the starting life is technically 15+15 but like I say I dunno what the ruling is but I recall seeing something like that being stated to explain it. 

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

It was to my understanding that actually, due to how life is recognised in 2HG rules that it wouldn't be getting it's +/+ due to life difference at all and that the way it was fixed in duels actually brought it closer to how it works in paper magic.
I don't really know the rules but I thought for something like that it counts the total life in half or soemthing like that in paper magic, so in this case the starting life is technically 15+15 but like I say I dunno what the ruling is but I recall seeing something like that being stated to explain it. 

The card in question is Serra Ascendant, which was changed in DotP to something along the lines of "As long as you have 10 or more life greater than your starting life total" to prevent players from getting a turn-1 6/6 flying lifelink.

Serra Avatar should always have the team's full life total in 2HG, in both paper and in duels.
Bump since I think players deserve an answer to this.

It's not looking good is it? 
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.

The card in question is Serra Ascendant, which was changed in DotP to something along the lines of "As long as you have 10 or more life greater than your starting life total" to prevent players from getting a turn-1 6/6 flying lifelink.

Serra Avatar should always have the team's full life total in 2HG, in both paper and in duels.

Right, I just forgot its name but my point still stands.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

Given all these issues with DotP 2013 and the underwhelming deck packs (and I'm not just talking about the lack of promo cards), I don't see myself buying DotP 2014. 2014 is going to have to have some major improvements and wow factors, but given how they treat this game and the DotP community in general, I don't see this happening. I find it unfortunate too, since Wizards has a great product on hand with DotP, but all their actions (or lack of) indicate that they either don't realize the potential of what they have, or they don't care.

Wizards said they wanted to give more community support, yet it seems the opposite has happened. I recall when DotP 2012 was released, we knew all of the starting decklists a week or so before the game came out. With 2013, Wizards didn't start releasing that info until mid-day on the day of its release. Same thing with the deck packs, although at least Wizards did spoil those deck lists before the content was released. 

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Given all these issues with DotP 2013 and the underwhelming deck packs (and I'm not just talking about the lack of promo cards), I don't see myself buying DotP 2014. 2014 is going to have to have some major improvements and wow factors, but given how they treat this game and the DotP community in general, I don't see this happening. I find it unfortunate too, since Wizards has a great product on hand with DotP, but all their actions (or lack of) indicate that they either don't realize the potential of what they have, or they don't care.

Ironically, I'm looking forward to 2014...

Wizards said they wanted to give more community support, yet it seems the opposite has happened. I recall when DotP 2012 was released, we knew all of the starting decklists a week or so before the game came out. With 2013, Wizards didn't start releasing that info until mid-day on the day of its release. Same thing with the deck packs, although at least Wizards did spoil those deck lists before the content was released. 

It is pretty bad when I can facetiously predict that the first official news we'll get on upcoming DLC would be decklists posted 4 days before the Decks' realease (despite us knowing weeks in advance)... Lo and behold, the Friday before the decks' realease; Decklists!
The silence is deafening.

Unless we are told otherwise I can only assume that Wizards have pulled the same trick that they did with D12. They pretend they are collecting bug reports to fix the game but actually never intending to fix it but instead use the data for the next game.

If that's the case, I'm through helping them.

I really do hope I am proved wrong though. 
Useful links:

The latest update was needed to implement the two new DLC decks. There were no bug updates implemented, though I do still gather bug information and report it to the Duels team.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Rob
Thanks for your help, work and time but, alas, I think they have abandoned us once again.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Ironically, I'm looking forward to 2014...

Well, like I said, I'm not sure if I'm going to get 2014. I have to see what 2014 is offering, and I may wait until some/most of the dlc is released before purchasing it. I do still want to support DotP 2013, as I feel that it's a great product and alternative to paper magic (I really have no intentions of buying paper cards again, it's just too costly). Unfortunatly, as much as I like the concept of DotP (and I do enjoy the limited nature of the format, it creates a format unique to itself) the issues and lack of community support is driving me away from it. I do intend on buying the rest of the deck packs, and any other gameplay related dlc they offer for DotP 2013, but for 2014, all I can do is hope that the game delivers what it needs to deliver.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Bump since I think players deserve an answer to this.

It's not looking good is it? 

It's looking terrible.  You'd think they would at the very least fix the cards that actually cause the game to crash, such as Odric, and Defense of the Heart, even if they didn't fix cards that didn't quite work as intended.  I've removed those cards from my decks but every so often I play a 2HG game against someone playing those one of cards and...the game freezes indefinitely. 

Instead, the deck pack added new bugs - apparently it's possible to kill Mystic Snake and Draining Whelk before they can counter a spell, which makes the already weak Sky and Scale deck even weaker.  

I'm sure that the long list of bugs you've compiled has been passed on to the developers.  The priority fixes you flagged were the right calls.  Somehow this is too much to expect though.  I guess patching a game that costs so little is not part of their business model.  It's sad, because they've done so much that's awesome about this game - but things like bugs and gimping the deck packs by not including promo unlocks really prevent this product from achieving greatness.

I love the concept of the deck packs, and usually they're an auto-purchase for me.  But this recent one was really disappointing.  I bought it on both xbox and steam without testing it on one first.  I think I may wait for other forum members to review the future deck packs before purchasing them.  If there are obnoxious new bugs or if the overall power of the decks doesn't measure up due to the lack of unlocks, then I am very unlikely to buy them.  

Rob Thanks for your help, work and time but, alas, I think they have abandoned us once again.

Thanks devilwuster. It is a terrible shame, but it seems like we have our answer. The only question is whether they never planned to fix anything from the start, or whether they decided to cut and run once they saw the length of the buglist.

You are right dh, not fixing game breaking bugs like those is inexcusable. I cannot believe they are "happy" with the quality of their product.

I know Sean is in a difficult position, either not knowing himself whether any fixes are around or not being allowed to comment one way or the other.

I'll still be around on the forums for the next game of course, to help with rules questions and such.

Useful links:
No random deck option = no buy
There won't be any more bug fixes. There's no reason to believe this will be any different than last year where they accumulated half a million pages of bug reports and fixed (a not insignificant number of) them for 2013.

2014 should be a very quality game all things considered. It won't be bug-free by any stretch, but with any luck the more oft-mentioned bugs will hopefully be taken care of.

The latest update was needed to implement the two new DLC decks. There were no bug updates implemented, though I do still gather bug information and report it to the Duels team.

Thanks for the update.

I do hope this is better for the next pack.  Most bugs are issues with single cards - my number one example right now being Nomad Mythmaker failing to have the right targeting limits - and if those are simple to fix then they should be.

This is one reason I wonder why you reboot the game engine every year instead of just adding decks.  I would think the opportunity to fix bugs in these decks when releasing the 2014 set would be a good thing for the product.  World of Warcraft doesn't reboot to a new set of classes every year, they just keep adding on and it seems to work OK for them.

Thanks for the update.

I do hope this is better for the next pack.  Most bugs are issues with single cards - my number one example right now being Nomad Mythmaker failing to have the right targeting limits - and if those are simple to fix then they should be.

This is one reason I wonder why you reboot the game engine every year instead of just adding decks.  I would think the opportunity to fix bugs in these decks when releasing the 2014 set would be a good thing for the product.  World of Warcraft doesn't reboot to a new set of classes every year, they just keep adding on and it seems to work OK for them.

For Duels '12 they had a several hundred page Buglist and made no attempt to fix any of them.
In Duels '13, a huge number of those bugs were fixed, though a not-insignifcant number persisted.
Best you can hope for at this point is that they're taking notes for '14 and the existing bug fixes will be addressed then. That seems to be their MO.

Also, World of Warcraft has reportedly made Blizzard over a billion dollars in one year.
Hasbro bought the entire Wizards of the Coast company for $325 million.

Lesson: Don't compare anything to World of Warcraft...
So it seems months later nothing has been changed or fixed..... Im currently looking at a big game me and my partner are playing. We have lost the game due to the wonderful crash of "Defense of the heart"

Now i know nothing will get done as Magic 2014 is on the way, but truly annooying when i cant use a good card in my favorite deck due to the fact nobody has fixed this yet!

Defense has a long time known bug. Best to not use it at all. SS doesn't need it to begin with.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Sign In to post comments