11/7/2012 UR: "The Seven Bells, Part 1"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
ding-dang-doo this is gonna be a good one. does not hurt i wanna see Niv cause some chaos lol
Really enjoyed this beginning of story Serioulsy, aether channels ? That sounds great !!
Very fun. I just wished you had called the Theorem a Conjecture, since theorems are proven results. Also could add a cool diagram of the 7 towers path based on Euler's bridges of Konigsburg problem.
LEYLINES! :D
I'm enjoying this one.
I wonder whether the aether channels were part of why Kalnika wanted the insurgents to wait until the proper sequence of bells had been rung. The bells weren't just a signal, but a jury-rigged artifact to interfere in some way with the lich lord's power...once aethereal power was bounced back and forth in the right fashion, anyway.

I doubt Andon was SPECIFICALLY chosen by Niv-Mizzet; rather, the conundrum was bandied about in the hopes that SOMEONE would figure out how the bell-spells worked. And either Andon has figured it out, or he's very close to it. And if Kalnika's plan was to disrupt a lich's power, maybe Niv-Mizzet is hoping to play the same game with an Old God or two. First, though, he needs to somehow reverse-engineer Kalnika's array.
Very fun. I just wished you had called the Theorem a Conjecture, since theorems are proven results. Also could add a cool diagram of the 7 towers path based on Euler's bridges of Konigsburg problem.

Terminology gets a little loose sometimes. Fermat's Last Theorem was called that for 300 years before it was proven. The Axiom of Archimedes is, in fact, a theorem.  The well-ordering theorem is often taken as an axiom. Etc.
I wonder if Bori has considered getting seven ridiculously long ropes.
I wonder if Bori has considered getting seven ridiculously long ropes.

That's what I wondered too. I guess it's a bit too far on the Heath Robinson / Rube Goldberg end of mad science, and not far enough towards "opportunity to show off my demented genius".

Maybe these aren't the kind of bells that have clappers (you instead use a hammer or the like on their exteriors to sound them)?
I was personally leaning towards some kind of portal or teleportation spells and such but his ideas are brilliant! Why can the Izmagnus not see the genius they have in Bori?
The three-sided report format in which this was written was really a treat to read, kudos for that!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Oh, its nice to see an ancient bit of lore in fantasy come to the forefront of modern events.  So, I reckon that Niv Mizzet is researching a way to either make a planeswalker, clear a plane of a colour or two of mana, or create something to wield them all.  That sounds like the right kind of ambitious move from a daring dragon.  Sure,  Sorin made Avacyn & he could've only potentially held two kinds of mana back then.  What would a neowalker or a Guild Leader do with all five at their disposal?