What's with the Japanese?

30 posts / 0 new
Last post

Which links to this:

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so
Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so
I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so
Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
Localization has been broken forever. I'll often get article dates (just the dates, mind you) in French.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Japanese or French tough choice...(oops wrong forum!)
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!
The website is completely hopeless.  I missed playing the first two days of RTR release events because after I googled both "MTGO Return to Ranvica Release events" and "Magic Online Return To Ravnica Release Events" the information page for those events didn't pop up on the FIRST THREE PAGES of Google search results.  So, I just assumed that they started on Wednesday after the downtime per usual.

Honestly, how does that possibly happen.  A huge release event where you're expecting tens of thousands of players and millions of dollars spent in the store, and you can't get the information about it searchable on Google?  It's absolutely pathetic, and reeks of incompetence.  It also makes you question the wisdom of any other decision made by those in charge, when they can't handle such simple things as that.
While the issue that started this thread is minor, the overall frequency of errors is getting silly at this point.  Heads would have rolled by now at most businesses after such consistently poor quality on customer-facing materials.  

Perhaps the new Sr Business Manager they appear to be hiring for MTGO will help.  The position seems marketing-oriented:

company.wizards.com/about/careers/sr-bus...
.Apparently WotC doesn't give a [expletive deleted]. Or Hasbro is being bought out by Sony. I'd post a screenshot of today's Japanese shenanigans, but apparently people are getting tired of visual aids. Or Visual AIDS. Take your pic(k).

And apparently I use the word "apparently" too much.

I swear, WotC is looking more and more to be run by clowns. Evil clowns. Not the employees. The people in charge.

.Apparently WotC doesn't give a [expletive deleted]. Or Hasbro is being bought out by Sony. I'd post a screenshot of today's Japanese shenanigans, but apparently people are getting tired of visual aids. Or Visual AIDS. Take your pic(k).

And apparently I use the word "apparently" too much.

I swear, WotC is looking more and more to be run by clowns. Evil clowns. Not the employees. The people in charge.

This just in!

All Daily Event results will now only be posted in Japanese. 

We hope you enjoy this new way we have decided to post this information.

Have Fun!
Or Hasbro is being bought out by Sony.

The (denied) rumor is that its actually Disney that might do this.

While the issue that started this thread is minor, the overall frequency of errors is getting silly at this point.  Heads would have rolled by now at most businesses after such consistently poor quality on customer-facing materials.  

Perhaps the new Sr Business Manager they appear to be hiring for MTGO will help.  The position seems marketing-oriented:

What do you mean Xarby? Are you experiencing other errors with the site, or errors in MTGO?

@Blippy is it still showing articles for other languages?

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

What do you mean Xarby? Are you experiencing other errors with the site, or errors in MTGO?

I don't have time right now to go back and try to find examples, but there is a long history of publishing incorrect event dates, times, details, prices, prizes...you name it; mostly on MTGO-related pages.  To the point where the quality of such and the frustration level is seen as a bit of a joke around the community.  Has always seemed to be very little to no quality control and accountability around such things.  I'm sure others will back me up on this, and a search through the posts on this board would capture some prime examples.

... @Blippy is it still showing articles for other languages?

It appears to be resolved. For now. Rest assured I'll let you know if that changes!

I don't have time right now to go back and try to find examples, but there is a long history of publishing incorrect event dates, times, details, prices, prizes...you name it; mostly on MTGO-related pages.  To the point where the quality of such and the frustration level is seen as a bit of a joke around the community.  Has always seemed to be very little to no quality control and accountability around such things.  I'm sure others will back me up on this, and a search through the posts on this board would capture some prime examples.

I got the impression that there were problems you saw happening when you posted. I know there are mistakes and glitches that can happen occasionally on the website, it just helps if I can catch them when they happen so I can let the web team know.

It appears to be resolved. For now. Rest assured I'll let you know if that changes!

Thanks Blippy. I'll check around and see if anybody knows why that would happen. If it's a long-standing issue, it's possible that the team has already explored possible solutions.

Sean Gibbons

I don't have time right now to go back and try to find examples, but there is a long history of publishing incorrect event dates, times, details, prices, prizes...you name it; mostly on MTGO-related pages. To the point where the quality of such and the frustration level is seen as a bit of a joke around the community. Has always seemed to be very little to no quality control and accountability around such things. I'm sure others will back me up on this, and a search through the posts on this board would capture some prime examples.

I won't back you up.
I don't have time right now to go back and try to find examples, but there is a long history of publishing incorrect event dates, times, details, prices, prizes...you name it; mostly on MTGO-related pages. To the point where the quality of such and the frustration level is seen as a bit of a joke around the community. Has always seemed to be very little to no quality control and accountability around such things. I'm sure others will back me up on this, and a search through the posts on this board would capture some prime examples.

I won't back you up.

It's not hard.

How about the time v3 released and half the population that was in the dark while the rest of us who kept trying early got almost a weeks worth of extra microfont.  Granted it was up and running ahead of schedule but don't you think everyone who invested in a game to play during thier liesure time should have been told rather than waiting?

Or perhaps I should just say CAW!     
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!

I got the impression that there were problems you saw happening when you posted. I know there are mistakes and glitches that can happen occasionally on the website, it just helps if I can catch them when they happen so I can let the web team know.

And as if ordered, there's one now:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

This sort of thing is, unfortunately, quite common.

And as if ordered, there's one now:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

This sort of thing is, unfortunately, quite common.

Thanks Xarby. I just responded in that thread, but in short - I'm looking into it. Hopefully it was just a mix-up when posting links (they look like they're working now) and can be avoided in the future.

Sean Gibbons

It's ba-ack!

Instead of treating the symptom, try treating the disease.

There are three Japanese articles at the bottom of wizards.com/Magic/Digital/Default.aspx under Headlines.

When I was looking at those articles, I found mtg-jp.com. I did not realise the amount of Japanese support that Wizards provided. There are some Japanese versions of articles on the main site too like this one.

Thanks Blippy. I'll check around and see if anybody knows why that would happen. If it's a long-standing issue, it's possible that the team has already explored possible solutions.

Meh, I guess I should make it a habbit of reading every post, not that I have the time.
More to the point.
This issue was reported  well over a year ago by me, and I was told it was a known issue and was being looked into. 
The cause of the issue or the fix, which doesnt seem there was one?, im not privy to.

It changes to many different languages. I have just learn to live with it as in the big picture its not the end of the world.

-Joe  

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Braille? 

EDIT: Works fine now. I spoke too soon: dates are tisdag, nov 13, 2012 ,torsdag, okt 25, 2012, etc. Which is not French, Japanese, or Braille.

EDIT 11/18: At various times today I have gotten Korean, Norwegian, and Portuguese.

GP Charleston started, what, 5.5 hours ago.  Streaming supposedly started an hour ago...but there is no link to the coverage on dailymtg.com?

If you want examples, we can pretty much give them for all of eternity.  MTG and MTGO's web presence is pretty terrible.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
After 2 weeks of no issues, it's Japanese again today. Obviously this issue is very low on any list of priorities, But next time you fix it, please treat the disease instead of the symptom.

Spanish today.

Since this has been going on intermittently for over two years, I can safely assume no one at WotC gives a [expletive deleted] about this. Oh well. You can count on me to harass you publicly about this, and other "stupid stuff" when I run across it, on a steady basis. I'm tired of ****footing.

EDIT: LOL at the censorship of a non expletive meaning "tread lightly"

I got Japanese today.
Thanks Xarby. I just responded in that thread, but in short - I'm looking into it. Hopefully it was just a mix-up when posting links (they look like they're working now) and can be avoided in the future.

Having been to Renton, I know how much of this stuff is done manually, but honestly, stuff needs to be double and triple checked before it gets pushed out for publication.
Many of the information errors are due to sloppy cut and paste or just plain rush jobs.

To answer your question before you ask; it's mostly dates and times for releases and prize support information, but it could be any MTG:O related information. 

Guess what? Chicken butt.

terça-feira, dez 4, 2012 - Portuguese today. Also had Japanese again earlier.

Sorry to say I've checked around and it looks like the localization glitches between articles is likely from some problem with the mechanics of the site, not from a mistake someone is making when posting. It's something that our team has been made aware of, but there's no ETA on a fix. I didn't want to leave you guys hanging, so hopefully bad news is better than no news.

Sean Gibbons

Sorry to say I've checked around and it looks like the localization glitches between articles is likely from some problem with the mechanics of the site, not from a mistake someone is making when posting. It's something that our team has been made aware of, but there's no ETA on a fix. I didn't want to leave you guys hanging, so hopefully bad news is better than no news.

We pretty knew that to be the case (that it's site internal, and not a data entry glitch). The folks in charge of this have known about it for a while (at least a year and a half since my first email to C/S). This issue sometime disappears for weeks on end. Then something will kick it back out of whack. I don't expect a fix anytime soon; I expect to be throwing languages out for quite a while to come yet.

On a side note, it is good to see you doing this (acting as a go-between). Seeing responses from you (specifically), and other WotC staffers, gives us the feeling you're (WotC, not you specifically) making an effort.

星期二, 十二月 11, 2012 - Chinese today.