Little help on a mobile Defender/striker hybrid build.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

The Build

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Feral, level 16
Wood Elf, Warden/Ranger, Son of Mercy
Hybrid Warden Option: Hybrid Warden Will
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Warden's Armored Might
Guardian Might Option: Wildblood
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Ironwrought
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 22, CON 11, DEX 14, INT 9, WIS 20, CHA 11
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 10, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10
AC: 33 Fort: 29 Ref: 28 Will: 29 (+2 to all defenses against my quarry if i hit it)
HP: 126 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 31

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Athletics +19, Endurance +13, Nature +20, Perception +20
UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +13, Heal +13, History +7, Insight +13, Intimidate +8, Religion +7, Stealth +9, Streetwise +8, Thievery +9

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Ironwrought Attack: Inevitable Strike
Warden Feature: Warden's Fury
Warden Feature: Warden's Grasp
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Son of Mercy Feature: Lawbreaker's Doom
Ranger Attack 1: Marauder's Rush
Warden Attack 1: Thorn Strike
Warden Attack 1: Form of Winter's Herald
Warden Attack 1: Wildblood Frenzy
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger Attack 3: Disruptive Strike
Warden Utility 6: Treacherous Ice
Warden Attack 7: Guardian's Pounce
Ranger Attack 9: Attacks on the Run
Endurance Utility 10: Enter the Crucible
Warden Utility 10: Spiritual Rejuvenation
Son of Mercy Attack 11: Dispensed Justice
Son of Mercy Utility 12: Red Death
Warden Attack 15: Form of the Crushing Mountain

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent (Guardian might option)
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Battle Awareness
Level 6: Cunning Stalker
Level 8: Wildblood Cunning
Level 10: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 11: Wildblood Speed
Level 12: Lethal Hunter
Level 14: Weapon Focus (Light blade)
Level 16: Improved Defenses

ITEMS
Predator's Hide Hide Armor +3
Amulet of Life +3 x1
Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1
Horned Helm (paragon tier)
Vanguard Rapier +3 x1
Rhythm Blade Tortoise blade +1 x1
Elven Chain Shirt (Heroic Tier) x1
====== End ======

Here are my thoughts on the character. I wanted a baseline Defender who is mobile and can also bring a bit of off turn damage to the fight. I will act early in the round trading my elven accuracy for Perception to initiative. The Hybrid warden lacks multimarking so I have 1 minor action close burst mark and 2 Mark style punishments that can function on unmarked targets.

I chose elf because of the heavy focus on Shifting in my power and feat choices and for something different. With Invigorating Stride I can Second wind and shift 10 squares as a move action 1/enc and I am not subject to the restriction of being adjacent to a creature at the end as part of this is a separate shift after the power granted by my second wind. With Wildblood speed I can enforce my mark from up to 5 squares away or 7 squares with Guardian pounce.

Background gives me 4 damage reduction when bloodied and a little extra accuracy when I feel it's important.

I did not take Twin Strike in favor of charging with marauder's rush so I can keep my defenses up with a shield equipped and achieve similar damage to a crippling crush build with the added bonus of 2d8 quarry.

Biggest drawback is low number of surges for a primal character. This will be played in LFR where there are rarely more than 3 encounters in a single day but it's a bit low and I am looking for a way to improve on that.

I would really like your ideas on how I can improve the character for LFR play. I do not plan to go past level 20 as the epic campaign is too much of a time sink in a single day and I already have 3 characters who can play in that.
The hybrid warden really doesn't defend well - just marking 1 target with nature's wrath.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
If he is just doing 3 encounters a day he will be ok as a defender.  He has 3 different warden daily powers he can use that will make him decently sticky and has several interrupts that will go off when enemies go after allies: dispensed justice, disruptive strike, guardian's pounce and the MBA from battle awareness.

I would probably switch out wildblood frenzy for a power that makes him stickier like stormhowler's strike. 

You need a level 16 utility and I would pick something that ups your toughness.  Maybe ranger's parry, but you already have a lot of immediates.
I'd grab Superior Will instead of Two Weapon Fighting, particularly since you don't actually have Font of Life. +1 damage for a feat seems rather meager at this level any way. (Encounter with Xiphu teaches "Thou shalt not play LFR without Superior Will.")
Son of Mercy is basically going to waste if you're not twinstriking. I'd drop Wildblood Speed or Lethal Hunter and just pick up two weapon defense, and use a rhythm blade short sword.
Yeah good call, where is Twin Strike?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
He said he wanted to keep his defenses up with shield, make better use of Marauder's Rush, he's got charge gear, it's not unreasonable. He is not otherwise proficient with his +1 tortoise blade. He would need to change the build to use something like a double weapon.

The build might actually be overloaded on immediate actions (I count 4 + Warden's Fury/Grasp; considering his high defenses, he's probably going to get to use mark punishment), could probably ditch one for Drown in Mud or something, to have a different stickyness tool, as well as a swarm/minion tool. If you want to stay overloaded on immediates, grab Strikebacks. Then standard actions will be charge (because has to form and quarry turn one), Wildblood Frenzy, Drown in Mud (or maybe that pull everything power I forget the name of), and a Form/daily attack. He's not really going to get to use Twin Strike all that much. With LFR time restrictions, you're usually hand waving clean up stage of most encounters at paragon anyway, which is all twin strike would be used for. He can probably do without twin strike. 
What is the purpose of Ranger in this case? If you want to charge you don't need a Ranger. I just see it as making the build weaker.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Invigorating Stride to Second Wind as a move action. It's actually a pretty strong benefit, though the action economy is extremely tight. You want to use Red Death to multimark, and you want to use Invigorating Stride on the same turn, but it's highly unlikely you were going to pull it off in a perfect position.

I would have just played a straight warden MC Ranger and powerswapped for it. 
There is a problem with Invigorating Stride too. You have to end it not adjacent to enemies, which can limit your strategic abilities.
The main thing he gets is powers.  Invigorating stride  lets you second wind as a minor every encounter without being a dwarf.  Marauders rush is a decent option.  Disruptive strike is another immediate attack.

And he gets a little more damage with hunters quarry.  I agree that lethal hunter probably isn't worth it.

The cost is surges/hp, no font of life, no shield, a skill, and a feat for hybrid talent.  He could get close to the same thing with straight warden and power swap for invigorating stride, but couldn't mc fighter that way.  I don't think he is getting enough out of fighter to make it worth it.
Hunter's Quarry is marginal extra damage, Disruptive Strike is going to be hard to use effectively unless its against him. 
Those two things alone aren't worth the trade. This just feels very watered down, and I feel a Pure Warden is better. 
I agree a pure warden is better and I would go warden mc ranger with a power swap for invogorting stride if I wanted that.  That would let him get rid of attacks on the run for another form or boiling cloud along with all the stuff I mentioned above.
Combining Invigorating Stride with Wildblood Cunning basically gets rid of the restriction of not ending next to an enemy. And it's an impressive shift, getting you where you need to be.

Quarry is not only for extra damage, but also for untyped +2 all defenses from armor, against the quarry which is typically also the mark. There is a lot of synergy going on with this build. I think this hybrid is quite viable and interesting.

What he should get out of Fighter MC is shielded resurgence. The tortoise blade counts as a shield, so he's good to go with an extra turn of second wind bonuses. It could probably replace Lethal Hunter.
A side benefit of being a ranger is the Predator Hide armor which gives me 2 to all defenses if I hit my quarry. It does not require that I hit it with a ranger power. I had originally planned on using the fighter MC for a different pp and left it in to make up for some of my lack of aoe marking. Basically it gives me the ability to threaten 2 creatures as if marked instead of just 1.

I had two weapon fighting in there as I was considering going for twin strike and two weapon defense with rhythm blade. I try to run the defenses high because LFR is usually encounter levels 2 or more levels higher than the players and with 7 surges I was worried about resources. I changed my stats so at paragon I have 8 surges which is a little better but still not great.

I can probably trade the increased quarry die for two weapon defense and add in twin strike over marauder's rush I would then have to maintain 2 weapons but that is doable.

I might just take Durable to fix the surge deficiency.

Zelnik: Invigorating stride makes me end away from enemies however it  triggers my second wind which in turn lets me shift 5 anywhere I want so after fulfilling the rquirements of not being next to an enemy I can shift right back to wherever I like.

I generally dislike bonuses to defenses that only apply to a single target unless you're a striker.
Combining Invigorating Stride with Wildblood Cunning basically gets rid of the restriction of not ending next to an enemy. And it's an impressive shift, getting you where you need to be.

Quarry is not only for extra damage, but also for untyped +2 all defenses from armor, against the quarry which is typically also the mark. There is a lot of synergy going on with this build. I think this hybrid is quite viable and interesting.

What he should get out of Fighter MC is shielded resurgence. The tortoise blade counts as a shield, so he's good to go with an extra turn of second wind bonuses. It could probably replace Lethal Hunter.

Question on Shielded Resurgence. How does it give me an extra turn of second wind bonuses? I am rarely attacked on my own turn unless its an OA. Changing the effect from start of turn to end of turn doesnt seem like much of a benefit. What did I miss?