Need a bit of input for a friends Ardent build.

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

So a friend of mine asked for help with his ardent, He says he feels squishy and like he can't ever hit anything. He based it of the Sir slides a lot build for those familiar with it. Anyway please give any helpful input and thanks a lot.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Quinkana, level 12
Dragonborn, Ardent, Stygian Adept
Build: Impetuous Ardent
Ardent Mantle Option: Mantle of Impulsiveness
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Constitution
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Acid
Inherent Bonuses
Ostracized (+2 to Intimidate)
Theme: Noble Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 19, DEX 9, INT 11, WIS 12, CHA 23

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 14, DEX 8, INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 18

AC: 25 Fort: 25 Ref: 21 Will: 27
HP: 86 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 25

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +17, Endurance +14, Heal +12, Intimidate +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +6, Athletics +5, Bluff +12, Dungeoneering +7, History +8, Insight +7, Nature +7, Perception +8, Religion +6, Stealth +4, Streetwise +12, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Noble Adept Feature: Adept's Insight
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Ardent Feature: Ardent Eruption
Ardent Feature: Ardent Surge
Ardent Attack 1: Demoralizing Strike
Ardent Attack 1: Energizing Strike
Ardent Attack 1: Adrenaline Strike
Ardent Attack 5: Specter of Doubt
Ardent Utility 6: Evade Attack
Ardent Attack 7: Mindlink Strike
Ardent Attack 9: Passage of Swords
Ardent Utility 10: Tower of Iron Will
Stygian Adept Attack 11: Stygian Strike
Stygian Adept Utility 12: Haunting Shadows

FEATS
Level 1: Deft Eruption
Level 2: Wind of Sympathy
Level 4: Hafted Defense
Level 6: Weapon Expertise (Polearm)
Level 8: Polearm Flanker
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Mantle of Caution
Level 12: Bolstering Mantle

ITEMS
Shadow-Shroud Chainmail +1 x1
Ornament of Alertness +1 x1
Barrage Bracers x1
Belt of the Flanker's Bane x1
Staggering Halberd +2 x1
Gloves of the Healer (paragon tier) x1
====== End ======

It doesn't look like there is much more you can do to improve the +hit.  You might drop hafted defense for greatspear proficiency.
I played an Ardent some time ago for another campaign and sadly didn't keep the build so I can't remember the specific name but there was a Paragon Path that said something like 'whenever you spend a healing surge, recover half the hit points and gain a +2 bonus to your attack rolls until EoNT.'

I see he's going Stygian, but if that isn't a make or break for the build, you might have him look around.

/I also don't know if the PP was racial so that may be an issue.
It doesn't look like there is much more you can do to improve the +hit.  You might drop hafted defense for greatspear proficiency.

Well part of his problem right now aside from hitting is that He's more or less a front liner that has a very low defence. I think he'd like a way to boost it if possbile. I tried to think of a way to fudge his starting values with out taking form his main 2 so that he could get scale but couldn't figure it out.
As far a squishiness goes, your friend's armor should be +2 at minimum at this level and very likely +3. That's 4 ac they are currently missing. The neck should also be +2 or +3 for an additional +2 to NADs. The halberd is +2 and next level you will be equal in level to a +3 with the same enchantment so it's not unlikely that you will upgrade it soon and that should help to hit bonus. Most of what I see lacking is that the character's items are about 7 levels too low and they fell behind the math curve.

You could consider dropping the starting 18 in Cha for a 16 before racial mods and that will give you points to put into str for Draconic Arrogance and dex to shore up reflex a bit. Upgrade to Greatspear to make up the loss of hit bonus.
MC Cleric for BCL for scale and a +2 floating shield bonus to AC. And then use the greatspear. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I prefer Talaric Strategist
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I also prefer Talaric Strategist.

Enemy moves next to you to attack. Interrupt, spend action point, hit enemy with Passage of Swords. Enemy gets smacked several times and loses turn. Laugh at enemy.
You should also be using Mindlink or Forward Thinking Cut every turn, making the IA Encounter power very nice. The features are solid too.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
FTC/Mindlink assumes your party has good MBA's (and if that's the case and you're shooting for optimization, you might want to scrap the ardent and go look at zelink's warlord guide.)

Demo Strike can be pretty solid as an alternate spam attack. You aren't giving out free attacks, but assuming your power points hold up, you can apply some massive debuffs to defenses, which can turn misses into hits, and you can apply them to multiple targets.
But but but....Almost everyone should have an MBA... YOU SPEAK BLASPHEMY!
Meh. I can't control who sits down with me at a random LFR table.
Oh this I know only too well. Its why I stopped playing my warlord My own MBA was the best...
Most of what I see lacking is that the character's items are about 7 levels too low and they fell behind the math curve.

This is the biggest issue here.  The character is woefully unequipped.  Upgrade the gear.
Also, I was unaware there were Ardent D5 selections available other than Invitation to Defeat. But that might just be my own stupidity.
I very much share the sentiment on that point, Invitation to Defeat is amazing.
It doesn't scale well however
That might be a fair point. The increase in large size creatures at paragon would make it difficult to pull everything next to you.

If I ever get my Ardent to 15, I'll consider swapping it out and keeping my level 1 daily that dazes (see above-mentioned Taleric Strategist shenanigans).
I would probably keep it until 15 or 19 (I haven't look much at paragon dailies on ardents TBH), but keeping many things adjacent becomes harder, and conditions become far scarier than damage. Still a great daily however.
Hey guys thanks for the help so far, quick question though. Can racial powers be retrained? We just discovered The dragonfear power and think it would be perfect for the build but aren't sure if it's too late to get it. the last sentence in retraing powers leads me to beleive yes. But I'm not certain. 

Replacing a Power
    Retraining can replace a power with another power of the same type: at-will attack power, encounter attack power, daily attack power, or utility power. The new power must have a level, be of the same level as or lower in level than the old power, and come from the same class—a 5th-level cleric daily attack power for another 5th-level cleric daily attack power, for instance, or a 22nd-level utility power for a different 22nd-level utility power.
    Retraining doesn’t allow replacing a power that has no level, such as a cleric’s healing word; a power designated as a feature; or a power gained from a paragon path or an epic destiny. If a power has no level but you chose it from a list of powers, you can replace it with a different power from that list.

what do you guys think?
This question is better addressed to your DM. Regardless of the actual RAW, it's totally going to vary from campaign to campaign.

Personally, I'd allow it.