Disney in talks to buy Hasbro: What does it mean for DnD?

140 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's a couple of items I recalled just today; assuming that Disney has crack lawyers working for her a diligent search of the literature is sure to find that TSR tried, in the late 70s and mid 90s, to sue people for publishing a roleplaying game. The courts all pretty much said, "No way, Jose." So it's rather doubtful Disney would ever try following that path.

Trademark and Tradedress are different matters, of course.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
D&D 6e, expect it in a few years. A game de-emphasizing combat and treasure gathering in favor of social play, with guidelines for presenting more dynamic adventures, sessions, and scenes. Including rules for gaining experience through other than killing monsters. Outwitting them for example.

Expect Wizards to be directed to stop trying to imitate such as video and computer games, and to focus their efforts on what makes RPGs unique. The social interaction, and the chance to live in an imaginary world where things can happen that can't happen in the real world. Expect them to aim at worlds where adventures of many sorts can occur, instead of the old "kill them and take their stuff" game.

Well,it would be a interesting innovation for sure!

DM: Products of MY Imagination ©. Since 1986.
One concern I have is how the Disney morality police could intervene in the lore and fluff of D&D. Disney has a squeeky clean image and has suppressed brands in the past who havn't adhered to that image. D&D has all kinds of devils, demons and the like. I have a hard time seeing another "Book of Vile Darkness" coming out under Disney's watch.

Considering the lousy reputation that this book has in every edition where it has been produced, and what I thought of the one instance I looked at, this specific item is not exactly a huge loss.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Considering the lousy reputation that this book has in every edition where it has been produced, and what I thought of the one instance I looked at, this specific item is not exactly a huge loss.

Keep in mind that while Disney owns various companies, they do have a hands-off policy. Marvel follows its own course where morality etc. is concerned. As long as Hasbro (and Wizards) produces a decent profit line, and doesn't engage in outright raunch, then Disney should be fine.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
The latest news I saw about this was on November 8th, strongly denying the rumors. The article I read also pointed out that it doesn't make much sense at this time for Disney to buy Hasbro.
Ravenloft Haunted Mansion....
Fewmaster Toede's Wild Ride (On dragons!)
It's a Sigil World (Ride the planes!)

Spelljammer Mountain
Country Werebear Jamboree
Dumbo the Flying Oliphant
Pirates of the Astral Sea
and don't forget to see the Breland exhibit at Epcot's World Showcase! 
It means that Mickey Mouse will be a D&D monster.

Lol, whatever. Disney will more than likely drop D&D or do awesome things with it like they did with Marvel material. They didn't change it, they just utilized and mainstreamed it.
Beldinme, that can't right that someone thinks it wouldn't be beneficial for Disney to buy Hasbro. 

If Hasbro is turning a profit, then that could be profit that Disney could be making. Seems like buying would be beneficial.  

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

It would not necessarily be beneficial; if the purchase raises Disney's debt-to-profit ratio too high, it could spell disaster for Disney. Potential profits aside, excessive debt when combined with potential recession or slowdown in sales could be disasterous for them.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

Have you readen the news about "Disney infinity"? Something like Spyro Skylanders.

Imagine that with D&D miniatures (and colectable cards):

Or miniatures of Kre-o marvel superheroes or Kre-o Star Wars...(if Disney doesn´t buy LEGO too). 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I used to work for Disney-- There was talks about Disney buying Hasbro several years ago. Interesting to see it could still happen...
Would be LEGO the next? After Marvel Comics and Lucasfilm now I wouldn´t be surprised.

Or maybe Hasbro could buy a previous toyline copyright like Spanish airgamboys (like playmobil, but bigger).  

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

man.. what can stop disney now?
man.. what can stop disney now?

A boycot like when that movie, "the golden compass"....

----

Other minature + videogame: Pokemon Rumble U.

Each figure will cost ¥200 Yen, which is approximately equal to $2 US Dollars

Would you pay a $2 D&D miniature (or a collectable card with a microchip) to play a videogame?

The videogame company LucasArts has been closed by Disney. I think it is a mistake.