Disney in talks to buy Hasbro: What does it mean for DnD?

140 posts / 0 new
Last post
About D&D franchise we should do a differentation: the IP (intellectual propertyand the RPG (d20 system).

I suposse Disney wants IPs, and D&D can be a true gold mine.

Disney doesn´t need D&D copyright to made a fantasy cartoon show, but.... I wouldn´t be surprised if they try made their equivalent to LotR+Hobbits trilogies...can you imagine stories by Pixar (Brave, the Increibles..) with D&D licence? (I am almost sure a movie or teleserie about haflings and gnomes like main character, or it may be about a magical girls). 

About RPG system... the worst one could happen would be the new system weren´t so popular like Pathfinder rpg.

* I had thought lots of time about d20 Spectacular, the d20 Modern soucerbook never was published. I have wonder how a d20 superheroes would be... I don´t talk about Mutant&Mastermind but level 1 PCs are Iron Man and Hackweye fighting alien invanders.

If Disney buys Hasbro.... I can imagine a d20 marvel superheroes...but... it isn´t so easy so be designed. Superheroes are very different, some are too powerful, and others haven´t got superpowers or expensive weapons..Batman and Superman, Hulk and Daredevil, kick-ass & Hit-girl, Nemesis and Superior, Thor and Punisher, Green Arrow and Wonder Woman..different level of power.. and finding the right balance isn´t easy if we talk about a RPG system like d20.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Disney IS buying Hasbro.  These news articles are not surfacing for illegitimate reasons.

"Lost? Confused? Lacking direction? Need to find a purpose in your life?"

-Welcome to Night Vale Proverb

Perhaps we'd actually get a decent D&D movie out of it?

+1
TBH, I highly doubt this happens. If it does, however unlikely, I would place my bets on Disney spinning off the WotC brand as a new independent company, as the brands WotC holds are valuable to a niche market but not enough that it really helps Disney anyway.

This is never going to happen. Disney, just like Hasbro, is an IP hoarder. They would rather a valuable brand name like D&D sit on the shelf collecting dust for 50 years than let it go to a competitor. Just like Hasbro, Disney has a habit of going back to that shelf every now and then to blow the dust off and resurrect a brand for a short while before letting it languish again in limbo. This is standard fad brand management. Once Disney owns the rights to D&D, it's never going anywhere.

If confirmed, this the absolute death blow to those of you who hoped and prayed that Paizo would  get the D&D brand off of Hasbro.
One concern I have is how the Disney morality police could intervene in the lore and fluff of D&D. Disney has a squeeky clean image and has suppressed brands in the past who havn't adhered to that image. D&D has all kinds of devils, demons and the like. I have a hard time seeing another "Book of Vile Darkness" coming out under Disney's watch. There's still a lot of people out there who think people who play D&D are somehow engaging in a scary activity. I hate to say it, but the "Mazes and Monsters" perception still exists. I fear how Disney might try to "clean up" the image of D&D to keep the parent company looking kid friendly.
Disney couldnt do a worse job at marketing the brand. 

Marketing a trend means appealing to popular culture.
According to what I heard Disney doesnt have toy rights (just movie production). The toys are still Lucas's
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Understand something simple: Corporations are ultimatley driven by and are solely interested in profit. 

Not true, some of them also value public reputation.  To kill D&D would look bad for Disney.

Assuming this is even true, I think it would be (could be) a good thing.  Hasbro is a boardgame company (Magic included).  D&D is not their bread and butter, or cup of tea.  I think Disney may take a new approach on it, and I do think they may make better marketing choices, and movies!!

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

well DnD might just be a side note in the aquisition if it would happen.
Hasbro had made movie tie in products before for both star wars and Marvell.
If disney would buy hasbro they would have a good source for products that go with their movies basicly cutting out the middel man. 

WoTC might only be a side note in the deal. 
I honestly don't think that any of the WotC IP is what is making Disney even consider this. More than likely, it's due to Hasbro's three big names that are currently out there in the public eye: Transformers, G.I. Joe, and My Little Pony. I would imagine that if Disney does this, and keeps all the WotC brands around, that they wouldn't know what to do with them, due to the established fan-bases, and probably take a hands-off approach to all things WotC; let them do what they know how to do.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

"There's always a bigger fish."

Qui-Gon Jinn.

(I rebember that quote because I rebember I read it in a article when Hasbro bought WotC).

About D&D background there are three options.

- Fidelity to continuity. That is the ideal.

- Remake, retcon or reboot. That is our fear.

- Spin-off, new settin with a style closer Disney taste for TV cartoon show and comics. I think it would the most probable.

Can you imagine it? Tasslehoff Burrfoot in Disneyworld!! Laughing

I suposse the future Hobbit trilogy would be other blockbuster. Disney executives could be interested about D&D franchise to try a similar success. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

- Spin-off, new settin with a style closer Disney taste for TV cartoon show and comics. I think it would the most probable.

... hums the pirate of the caribian theme song
One concern I have is how the Disney morality police could intervene in the lore and fluff of D&D. Disney has a squeeky clean image and has suppressed brands in the past who havn't adhered to that image. D&D has all kinds of devils, demons and the like. I have a hard time seeing another "Book of Vile Darkness" coming out under Disney's watch. There's still a lot of people out there who think people who play D&D are somehow engaging in a scary activity. I hate to say it, but the "Mazes and Monsters" perception still exists. I fear how Disney might try to "clean up" the image of D&D to keep the parent company looking kid friendly.

Marvel has more demons and adult content and more up-front than DnD and they haven't been tampered with.
According to what I heard Disney doesnt have toy rights (just movie production). The toys are still Lucas's

*ahem* Hasbro has the toy license.

*ahem* Hasbro has the toy license.

right... I was referring to the Lucas Arts being separate from Lucas Films, I want to see D&D toys.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

When I see Maleficent in a Monster Manual, I will be in love. Warlock? Wizard? She can shape-change into a dragon, summon demons, and so on. Maybe just a powerful Wizard.

Maleficent is the best, I'd love to see this too.
Do you rebember the Aladin TV show? It was one of my favorites. Disney could made a "al-Quadim" TV show with style of Aladdin cartoon and it could be a good serie.

It was like if Aladdin were inspired by the Fogorten Realms spin-off.

* I wonder the next one will be cryptic studios.

If it means they add a Forgotten Realms Land to Epcot, I'll move to Florida to go there daily.

Check out my listing of all the 5E Druid wild-shape forms (well, all the publicly available ones, that is)

Also, read my thoughts on Acts Of Geek and listen to me on the D&D Round Table  

Also, come play Encounters with me Wednesday nights in western Massachusetts at Modern Myths

If Disney created a very specific version of a goblin, specific enough to be trademarked or copywrit, and paizo or another company used it without permission, then Disney sues them to hell and back. But the goblin in the ogl is 1) not that specific and 2) not owned by Disney , even if Disney buys d&d via hasbro. D&D has no claim to "goblin" any more than Disney has claim to Snow White. They own their particular version of Snow White, true. But not all Snow White's are the same. Theirs sings and has a blue and yellow dress with a red ribbon and lives with 7 dwarfs with silly nicknames. Mine would have different defining characteristics. Same with d&d.

Disney currently has a patent pending for the name Snow White.

I think you mean trademark. Public Domain material can be trademarked, copyrighted, sold, and commercialized in other ways. It however, cannot be removed from the public domain. Only the newer versions that are trademarked, copyrighted, sold and commercialized in other ways are bound by the legal restrictions placed on them.

I think you mean trademark. Public Domain material can be trademarked, copyrighted, sold, and commercialized in other ways. It however, cannot be removed from the public domain. Only the newer versions that are trademarked, copyrighted, sold and commercialized in other ways are bound by the legal restrictions placed on them.

Yeah.  I did mean trademark.  Thanks
I honestly don't think that any of the WotC IP is what is making Disney even consider this.

I think only in the most general sense.  Disney did not simply buy Marvel because their Avengers Movie looked promising based on the component preceding movies.  They bought Marvel because Disney is a company that buys stables of characters from which to synergize their vast entertainment empire.  That's why they bought Jim Henson's Muppets.  Why they bought Pixar.  Why they bought Club Penguin.  And why they bought Marvel.  Few companies have the reservoir of iconic characters that these companies do.  (I'd be surprised if Disney does not buy Blizzard or a similar company next.)

HASBRO also has a vast stable of characters.  Transformers, GI Joe and My Little Pony are a huge part of it (and I wouldn't be surprised to see Club Penguin soon add a Club Pony), but all of their games are recognizable IP with a serious value, and D&D is among them.  The licensing rights to D&D are more important than the game itself, and the game is probably looked on as a loss leader that keeps the IP current and valuable. 

Also, keep this in mind.  If Transformers were the only thing that made Hasbro an attractive purchase, then Battleship would have made it equally unattractive!  If anything, Battleship's flop probably depressed the price enough to make it affordable!

What would be nice is if Disney can correct Hasbro's error of not attributing sales of D&D merchanidse to the success of the D&D brand.  For some legacy reason, Hasbro attributed those sales to something like the books division of Wizards, rather than the game.  Disney is a brand company in the way that Hasbro is not, so it is possible that this will work out better for D&D in the long-run, and ease the pressure on the company to make the unrealistic sales expectations that Hasbro placed on 4e.

I don't see Disney making D&D cartoons for TV.  Phineas & Ferb is the last new cartoon series they've released in years on Disney Channel and they have been very vocally moving over to the tween live-action market.   I suspect if this sale goes through Hasbro's HUB will be folded into Disney XD (and thus into even more obscurity).  They only make about four animated series at a time.  I suspect My Little Pony will make it into that foursome.  Would D&D be a future concept?  no idea.  Would be fun though.  At a minimum, maybe they can throw up reruns of the original D&D cartoon (if Hasbro has the rights to it).
I admit I have thought it would be joke but it can reasonably possible. Now it wouldn´t be a surprise.

Wait a moment..if Disney buy Hasbro...shall we see Star Wars and Marvel Superheroes rpg by WotC? It would be design of a new d20 Modern. Superheroes is a genre too dificoult to be designed for RPGs with levels or like d20 system. It would need years of playtesting, martial artists vs soldiers combats, spellcaster vs mechas...

But.... if it could be true....I hope new WotC and Hasbro titles for children and teenages could be with neutre ideology. Would G.I.Joe be enough pro-Northamerican patriotic?

G.I. Joe and war is not patriotic. In fact according to the U.S. constitution we aren't supposed to have a standing army or go to war except in our direct defense...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Understand something simple: Corporations are ultimatley driven by and are solely interested in profit. 

Not true, some of them also value public reputation.  To kill D&D would look bad for Disney.

Assuming this is even true, I think it would be (could be) a good thing.  Hasbro is a boardgame company (Magic included).  D&D is not their bread and butter, or cup of tea.  I think Disney may take a new approach on it, and I do think they may make better marketing choices, and movies!!

Why does a company want good PR?  Ultimately, MONEY!

The aqcuisition of Hasbro by Disney would have been a good thing for D&D except for one thing. Disney isn't buying Hasbro because of it's products like D&D, it is buying Hasbro because they have the rights to the Star Wars toys.  Disney wants to syngergize it's recent purchase of Lucasfilms. D&D is just getting caught up in the tide.

Disney isn't buying Hasbro because of it's products like D&D, it is buying Hasbro because they have the rights to the Star Wars toys.  Disney wants to syngergize it's recent purchase of Lucasfilms. D&D is just getting caught up in the tide.

First of all, LucasArts has the rights to the toys.  Hasbro has a license, which can terminate.  If Disney were buying Hasbro for Star Wars toys, they're idiots.  They already own the toy rights by buying LucasArts

Disney buys IP.  Hasbro has a ton of IP.  That's why they would buy Hasbro.

Eve if true, it does not spell a deathknell for D&D.  Disney isn't likely to shelve Monopoly or Scrabble simply because they bought  Hasbro for some of their toys.
Disney isn't buying Hasbro because of it's products like D&D, it is buying Hasbro because they have the rights to the Star Wars toys.  Disney wants to syngergize it's recent purchase of Lucasfilms. D&D is just getting caught up in the tide.

First of all, LucasArts has the rights to the toys.  Hasbro has a license, which can terminate.  If Disney were buying Hasbro for Star Wars toys, they're idiots.  They already own the toy rights by buying LucasArts

Eve if true, it does not spell a deathknell for D&D.  Disney isn't likely to shelve Monopoly or Scrabble simply because they bought  Hasbro for some of their toys.

From everything I have read, it seems like they are mostly interested in Star Wars toys.

"Hasbro holds the toy and table top game licenses to the now Disney-owned Star Wars"

What they do with D&D?  That is unclear... My guess is that they either leave it alone, or shelve it. 

Moving this thread over to future releases, where all this speculative stuff is supposed to be.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

One concern I have is how the Disney morality police could intervene in the lore and fluff of D&D.

If they haven't been able to stop the repellent people of the internet from perverting every Disney cartoon in every way - and they haven't - I don't think you should worry too much about whether or not you'll be able to find a table that plays as darkly as you want, although possibly without as much official imprimatur.  Still, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies were pretty grim.

I have a hard time seeing another "Book of Vile Darkness" coming out under Disney's watch.

Good.

Moving this thread over to future releases, where all this speculative stuff is supposed to be.

Know anything solid?

Know anything solid?

Nope. I'm reading the same rumor articles you guys are.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

Disney owned Miramax when the studio produced the films Kids, Pulp Fiction, and Trainspotting. (alphabetical order)
I personally liked No Country for Old Men slightly better than Pulp Fiction, but I don't quote it as frequently. 

The point here is that Disney owning something does not mean G rated regardless of what you read on facebook. 

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

"There's always a bigger fish."

Qui-Gon Jinn.

(I rebember that quote because I rebember I read it in a article when Hasbro bought WotC).

About D&D background there are three options.

- Fidelity to continuity. That is the ideal.

- Remake, retcon or reboot. That is our fear.

Can you imagine it? Tasslehoff Burrfoot in Disneyworld!! 

I suposse the future Hobbit trilogy would be other blockbuster. Disney executives could be interested about D&D franchise to try a similar success. 

LOL! i laughed hard at that!  About the acquisition it could even be a opportunity for disney to try to expand the rpg market invading toystores and commercials with books,films and toys. after all, the key to commercial success is to diversify.
DM: Products of MY Imagination ©. Since 1986.

Know anything solid?

Nope. I'm reading the same rumor articles you guys are.

Off topic, but gotta say it.  My players and I love where D&D Next is going!

About G.I.Joe never I have see a children franchise that promoted patriotism, love to homeland. 

But now G.I.Joe: renegades we see now the evil empire is a capitalist corporation (Cobra) and the heroes, the main characters are considered like a menace by the government. Of course I don´t jumpt to conclusions and I think it still is ideologically neutre, like ABC TV show "Modern Family" or "Deseperate Houswifes".

If we don´t see the end of comics of Punisher or Marvel Zombies because Disney bought Marvel I think the future WotC wasn´t going to be more.... politically correct. (I am afraid the opposite).

Book of Vile Darkness, 3rd and 4th was published...and there isn´t any scandal. 

Disney could create a new D&D world/settin to be used for cartoon TV show... but the rest of D&D multiverse would be calm, without controversies.

They bought Lucas Films I think ... and Lucas still owns his big moneymaker(the toy rights) and even the special effects company that Lucas Films usually employs (he is one smart cookie).

Ravenloft Haunted Mansion....
Fewmaster Toede's Wild Ride (On dragons!)
It's a Sigil World (Ride the planes!)
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
Two things to consider here:

One: You can't copyright a mechanic. You can patent it, but since the basic D&D mechanic goes back to 1972, and so many other games use some variant of that mechanic, is rather doubtful any suit to protect such a patent would get very far in the courts. It has, to use an old phrase, been grandfathered.

Two: People, even Disney, go to court to protect their rights when it makes sense to. TSR sued Mayfair games to protect their property. It was during that suit that we learned that mechanics can't be copyrighted. TSR ended up getting burned and it contributed to the fire sale that saw Wizards taking control. It really makes no sense for Disney to sue a third party publisher, especially when they can use those third parties to promote one of their products. When people think of RPGs, they think of D&D. Disney could promote D&D as the leader, and a game easy to get into. Well, comparatively speaking.

Speaking of the last, I can see Disney directing Wizards to set up a group to explore what RPGs are all about, and what the game is best focused on. More emphasis on world building (in all areas), and on social gaming. A de-emphasis on combat and treasure gathering. By making it more a social game Disney may well expand the customer base. Look forward to D&D, Social Forays and books on how to be a goblin or orc, and how to present a vital and engaging scene. "D&D as acting exercise", sounds kind of cool.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
D&D 6e, expect it in a few years. A game de-emphasizing combat and treasure gathering in favor of social play, with guidelines for presenting more dynamic adventures, sessions, and scenes. Including rules for gaining experience through other than killing monsters. Outwitting them for example.

Expect Wizards to be directed to stop trying to imitate such as video and computer games, and to focus their efforts on what makes RPGs unique. The social interaction, and the chance to live in an imaginary world where things can happen that can't happen in the real world. Expect them to aim at worlds where adventures of many sorts can occur, instead of the old "kill them and take their stuff" game.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.

They bought Lucas Films I think ... and Lucas still owns his big moneymaker(the toy rights) and even the special effects company that Lucas Films usually employs (he is one smart cookie).

Nah, Lucas sold the toy rights to.

Wow... that is an uber suprise my Brother is the real fan who I was quoting.. But I guess being Disney the Toy Rights HAD to be on the table. Thanks for the correction.