Guardian's Call Question

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi there

Simple question:
If I have a Guardian's Call weapon and I go into Guardian "mode" and I switch it out, do I still get the defense bonus?

Thanks in advance,
Kees 
could you link the actual item please ?  That would help some !
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

No because you gain a +2 bonus to a defense only while you’re in guardian form. 

Guardian's Call: When you assume a guardian form, pick one defense other than AC. You gain a +2 bonus to that defense while you’re in that guardian form.

His question is if he switched out the weapon does the bonus still continue to apply, not if he switches out of the form.

The RAW answer looks like it happens to be yes, since the condition for ending is "While in that form." 
If you switch weapons and you aren't wielding the Guardian's Call weapon anymore her property will not remain active and thus the defense bonus will be lost.

RC 280 Property: Many magic items have a special property that his constantly active, or active in certain circumstances. A property doesn't normally require any action to use, although some properties allow the user to tun them off (or on again). Unless otherwise noted, a magic item's property remains active for a creature only while it wears the item (in the case of a wearable item such as a suit of armor) or wields the item.

Assumes the defense boost is coming from the property. Which isn't stated, the defense boost is added onto the form, and ends when the form does. Also the property itself gives the specific end condition, so it is SvG in any case.
The property is constantly active,  the bonus is situational (when in guardian form)

RC 280 Property: Many magic items have a special property that his constantly active, or active in certain circumstances. A property doesn't normally require any action to use, although some properties allow the user to tun them off (or on again). Unless otherwise noted, a magic item's property remains active for a creature only while it wears the item (in the case of a wearable item such as a suit of armor) or wields the item.

This gives a clear answer. But could you say Guardian's Call is an item in the " Unless otherwise noted " category.

So two options;
weapon gone = property gone
Guardian form gone = property gone

I mean, wearing a +1 Guardian's Call Dagger for 520 gold, seem worth it, if you can just swap it out and get the +2. 
Guardian's Call's property doesn't note otherwise as it doesn't specifically say her property remains active for a creature even when not wielded.

So when you wield a Guardian's Call, you gain a +2 bonus to a defense while you’re assuming a guardian form.
Guardian's Call's property doesn't note otherwise as it doesn't specifically say her property remains active for a creature even when not wielded.

So when you wield a Guardian's Call, you gain a +2 bonus to a defense while you’re assuming a guardian form.

Sigh. The property is on. However the property doesn't give any bonus. It modifies a form to give you a bonus and the bonus specifically ends when the form does. Because it says that is when it ends.
It modifies a form to give you a bonus

The property doesn't say that. 
It modifies a form to give you a bonus

The property doesn't say that. 

Agreed.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Sign In to post comments