How to stop a living volcanic mountain?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been working my way into running a campaign involving a Titan war. After watching 'Wraith of the Titans,' I'd really like to include something like the scene with Kronos bursting out of a mountain. In the movie Kronos is stopped with a magic spear, but if I don't use that idea. How does a mortal hero stop, slow down or kill a living volcanic mountainous titan?
I've been working my way into running a campaign involving a Titan war. After watching 'Wraith of the Titans,' I'd really like to include something like the scene with Kronos bursting out of a mountain. In the movie Kronos is stopped with a magic spear, but if I don't use that idea. How does a mortal hero stop, slow down or kill a living volcanic mountainous titan?

With an expanded-upon version of the first idea your players come up with. There might be a quest, with a betrayal, and a heart-wrenching sacrifice, assuming your players are interested in that sort of thing.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Kill it with kindness!
Summon Captain Planet!  Or some other bigger fish.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.

What the PCs got available? A 20th level wizard would have opened a gate from the plane of fire into his brain and killed him instantly.
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
Vinegar and baking soda....

Or perhaps a summoning device to call forth a water being of sometype?
Sacrifice a virgin to appease the mountain god.
Always right, 102% of the time.

A...giant stone John Wilkes Booth?

I'm on a journey of enlightenment, learning and self-improvement. A journey towards mastery. A journey that will never end. If you challenge me, prepare to be challenged. If you have something to offer as a fellow student, I will accept it. If you call yourself a master, prepare to be humbled. If you seek me, look to the path. I will be traveling it.

Proudly playing in many wrong ways. I'm not afraid of playing wrong according to the rules. Why are you?

100 Crack Reply of the Yagamifire. You are already wrong.

Ok, not to many people have faced this before I'm guessing.

Another option I'd not considered is just trapping the Volcanic mountain titan. Killing it might be a bit impossible for level 10 characters. And I don't have a miniature big enough anyway.

Centauri and Sanctuarykitten, sacrifice of a virgin or PC might keep it busy for a while. I can use that, but will need a bit more.

Yellowdingo, opening a portal to another plane might be the trick to trapping a mountainous volcanic titan.

Firecave, I'm not aware of a fish big enough to swallow a walking mountain.

GhostMachine, summoning a colossal water being might put out the fire, but would it stop it?

Aw man, that sounds like a cool quest! I don't know what level your players are, nor which edition you're playing (I'll assume 4e; this could apply to any edition though, with the proper tweaks), but from the looks of things this is going to be Epic (pun intended). My take on it:

You need two rituals: Magic Circle and True Portal. You'll have to take some liberties with them, however. They need to be absolutely humongous in size. Like, the costs associated with these rituals are off the charts. You need special components and/or magical artifacts to make them work. Then prepare Magic Circle on a large enough area so that you can lure and trap the Titan in it. Once that is done, cast True Portal and send it to wherever you want. In a giant lake, the Titan is put out by the water and a new island is formed. Send it to the depths of an ocean, where time will forget it. Teleport it to the Astral Sea and let the Gods and their minions handle it. Send it to the Elemental Chaos, a place it can call home. Whatever you choose, you have a potential plot hook for future adventures!

This plan requires many (potentially complicated) steps:

1. Gather (specialized) people willing to work on such an insane project;

2. Find the necessary components;

3. Get some people working on that huge-*** Magic Circle. Also, make sure they're not interrupted by hostile forces;

4. Lure the Titan into your trap, somehow;

5. Activate the Magic Circle and teleport the bastard to wherever you see fit.

All of these steps can be quests on their own, each one having specific challenges and complications. Maybe you need a powerful articfact to power the ritual, and the current owner is unwilling to part with it. Maybe nobody takes your plan seriously, and you have to work with people who have a less-than-stellar reputation. Maybe your circle must cross borders (because why not?) and you must convince seperate kingdoms to allow you to work on their land. Man, it feels like I just wrote five levels' worth of content. Whoa.

Anyway, that's just from the top of my head.

EDIT: Oh, level 10. Yeah... Appeasing it for now might be good enough. IMO, killing a Titan isn't quite in the scope of Heroic or Paragon.

EDIT 2: Missed the post by 25 minutes... Yeesh. I suppose it happens when I get lost into adventure building.

Destroying the "core" could be, it can be an entire adventure and a time race for it.  The core can be on the volcanic mountain with it's own hazards from creatures that dwell inside the mountain, in adition of the mountain trying to hinder the party dwelling from inside, changing and shifting it's caves and turn into a living hazard.

The core could also be not in the living volcanic mountain...but in the place it was "born" before it started to move and travel thru the land 
Destroying the "core" could be, it can be an entire adventure and a time race for it.  The core can be on the volcanic mountain with it's own hazards from creatures that dwell inside the mountain, in adition of the mountain trying to hinder the party dwelling from inside, changing and shifting it's caves and turn into a living hazard.

The core could also be not in the living volcanic mountain...but in the place it was "born" before it started to move and travel thru the land 

This is probably the best idea IMO.  make it a delve within the mountain to kill or remove some key part.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Firecave, I'm not aware of a fish big enough to swallow a walking mountain.

Plankton is eaten by krill.  Krill by small fish.  Small fish by bigger fish.  Bigger fish by Sharks.  Sharks by sharks.  Sharks by orcas.  Orcas by the kraken.  The kraken by Godzilla.  Godzilla by Megas XLR.

"Bigger Fish" is a term for the common trope in fiction where, no how large or dangerous something is, there's always something larger and more dangerous.  When dealing with something bigger than you can handle, one alternative is to summon, lure, or bargain with something even bigger to handle it for you...and hope that bigger fish doesn't cause just as many or more problems.

Living volcano rampaging the country side?  Petition a god, awaken an ocean titan, hire some epic-level heroes, turn on the bat signal, help the avatar learn all the types of bending, read the tome that man was not meant to read, etc.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Politics. Organise all of the different factions to rise up against the titan, possibly in a plot important area. Then the players will have to deal with a universe where the battleground is in ruins, and a whole load of heros etc. are dead. Of course, why the players want to kill it is just as important as the titan itself. If it's trying to kill them, it could just remin as  distant threat, keeping them on the move but not directly confronting them until it catches up- that is to say, when the players settle down for too long. If it's going to destroy a city, the players could lead the evacuation. If the players are working for something else to destroy it, playing the two off of each other (so the titan kills the only reeason they need to kill the titan). Of course, at the end of the day, the players will probably decide what they need to do to beat the titan.

This is a very nice solution, thanks.

Shirebrok, the magic cirlce and True Portal idea sounds good. I'll put that into my list of options. The party being level 10 doesn't worry me really. I've been throwing epic problems at them for a while now.

Fireclave, I really didn't take your first suggestion seriously as captain planet was more of a joke on your part. Petition the gods to help stop the Titan or getting help from epic level heroes is much more useful. Thanks.

The volcanic mountainous titan is a threat to the world as it destroys everything in it's path. Why because all the titans want to overthrow the gods. Think greek myth, titans and gods at war. It the titans can force the mortal world to worship them rather than gods, it affects the order of the cosmos. If the gods created the mortal creature, then the titans must destroy all that the gods have achieved and wipe the gods out. Mortal beings are caught in this struggle.
How bout a nuke (or the magic equivelent there of)?

1 stick of Dynamite according to sixguns and sorcery was 4d6 without a save, and three sticks weigh 1 pound.

So 4 dice x 3 sticks x 2240 pounds x  1000 = a 1 kiloton nuke (26880000d6 damage/no save).

Just assume the minimum damage (26,880,000hp/no save) and go for the kill.
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
turn on the bat signal

Politics

We have our winners! 

Do your players have some history with any kind of entity/artifact/organization/location that would come close to being able to handle the titan? Because if you just lay out the threat to them, chances are that they will have some ideas of their own how they might deal with it. Then you can build on that.

How many ways are there to skin a displacer beast?

The OP question is exactly the kind of thing that players can be better at answering than the DM. Why restrict them to the "one true path"? That's video game hit-the-boss-in-its-weak-spot thinking.

...but for fun, if I was one of your players - I would maybe find if the titan had any offspring, maybe hold them hostage or employ their help in reasoning with the living volcano. Failing that, find a way to travel into the titan's mind and change it, Inception-style. 
reasoning with the living volcano

Quoted for absurdness ;) 

The OP question is exactly the kind of thing that players can be better at answering than the DM. Why restrict them to the "one true path"? That's video game hit-the-boss-in-its-weak-spot thinking.

...but for fun, if I was one of your players - I would maybe find if the titan had any offspring, maybe hold them hostage or employ their help in reasoning with the living volcano. Failing that, find a way to travel into the titan's mind and change it, Inception-style. 

I think you misunderstand my reason for starting the thread. If I don't have a few different ways to deal with the titan, how can I expect the players to come up with a solution. The more useful suggestions I assess and go onto my solution list. In this way when a player comes up with an idea I'm not put on the spot and I have time to figure out if it could work. There is not one solution.
As for the travel into the mind of the titan, how might that be achieved? 

svendj, the group doesn't have political connections or a bat signal (silly idea and will ignore). As a general guide my group are not the smartest people, but it's possible they might think of some way to manage the titan. I want some tips for the players if they get stuck.

yellowdingo, the nuke is fine as an idea, but how do you carry all that explosive? Sounds like a magical exploding device would need to be quested for, if it exists.

yellowdingo, the nuke is fine as an idea, but how do you carry all that explosive? Sounds like a magical exploding device would need to be quested for, if it exists.

I suppose Pelor might have one lying about...being a Sun god.

I think you misunderstand my reason for starting the thread. If I don't have a few different ways to deal with the titan, how can I expect the players to come up with a solution. The more useful suggestions I assess and go onto my solution list. In this way when a player comes up with an idea I'm not put on the spot and I have time to figure out if it could work. There is not one solution.

Cool, but there is always a 50/50 chance that players will come up with a plausable solution that yisn't on your list. Having a few suggestions is good if they get stuck, but generally whatever they come up with (as long as you don't see any obvious logical flaws) says "yes" then look for ways to complicate it for them as they go. It is a bit scary for the DM at first but wonderfully liberating for everyone involved.

As for the travel into the mind of the titan, how might that be achieved? 

With the aid of a powerful psion. Or a ritual developed by a mad wizard who studies the Far Realm. Or a cleric of the god of dreams. Or water from a particular spring/ berries from a particular bush in the Feywild.

I didn’t see the movie, is the Titan moving in very slow motion? Like he was frozen but is thawing out. Whatever the case I’m going to assume that the PC’s have some advanced warning. And its always good to change a movie or book based adventure around quite a bit; most players I have DM’ed don’t seem to like direct rip off’s, and you don’t want them to feel forced into acting out the movie plot.

I just finished reading Ursula LeGuin’s A Wizard of Earthsea. One of the great wizards in that book is credited with talking to a volcano and convincing it not to erupt. Maybe the PC’s need to find a wizard like this and convince him to help reinforce whatever barriers hold the titan in the mountain.

Summoning a Leviathan to eat the titan is also a great idea, the PC’s could quest for an item that can control the giant fish. The Rifts book "Coalation Overkill" introduces a type of creature called the Daemonix which is a suitably creapy leviathan like creature if you need some source material for that kind of encounter.

Perhaps the force that currently binds the titan is actually mundane, the weight of all the rock or the way in which the sea interacts with the mountain; And the reason he is now starting to move is due to purely natural phenomina like the rock is heating up and turning molten. So the party could need to remove the heat by initiating an earthquake that release the pocket of molten rock seeping up into the titan’s prison.

Or maybe they could slow him down by summoning rain clouds to cool the rock around him.

So you could actually offer them a few vague clues in the beginning and have a little adventure about them researching the possibilities. As they researched you would get an idea as to what kind of final adventure they would find most appealing.

There should probably be a group interested in having the Titan escape, evil cultists maybe, so that you can throw combat encounters in at any time as the cultists try to stop the PC’s. Hmmm cultists could be a good adventure all on their own. Perhaps the party has to prevent the final part of the ceremony that is releasing the monster ala Cthulu. And they would get to rescue a red headed virgin with only 3 fingers on her left hand!

The danger with long involved quests is that they can feel like railroading. Be sensitive to any sort of grumbling along those lines and be prepared to shorten the quest adventure considerably. I’ve also run into trouble with the PC’s just not figuring out any course of action. If they get frustrated be prepared to give them more clues or just dump the answer in their laps, nothing wrong with that. Of course they should not receive full XP if they require that sort of DM assistance.

The great thing about an open solution problem like this is that you as DM / storyteller don’t need to worry about giving the solution away inadvertently. I’ve seen players guess whole plot lines and solve mysterious encounters from hearing just the intro text. 

Anyway, great idea. Let us know how it works out.

Bluespruce makes a valid point. For epic stuff like that, there's lots of ways you can let them solve it, short of a magic spear...

There's the role-playing way... "if we could just talk to him, we might find out what this Titan wants",

There's the hack-it-up heroic battle way..."Taste the hammer of Frozzenfjord! Eeeeeeeeyaaaaaaaahhhhaheeeeeeeiiii!"

There's the magic way.... "We must close this gap in the nexus between earth, fire and prime. But first, we must find the gates!"

There's the creative approach... "Okay, we've diverted the river... grab the Ogre Magi's hat and run to the bridge!"

There's the disinterested approach... "Meh. Who cares... My character comes from the other side of the sea. Let's search that abandoned castle dungeon again. We may have missed some treasure"

Rather than coming up with a sure-fire solution, you could provide some options, thinking ahead of what path the players are likely to take.

For instance, role-players... you might decide in advance how the Titan will react if the players talk to him, and if this is a viable method for success (it may not be, but at least the players can say "Well, that didn't work." The Titan may give them information where role-playing might actually work... such as "Go talk to your king.. these are my demands..." and the king could send them on some quests to get the stuff to appease the titan.

Ever see the game Shadow of the Collosus? Pretty much the monster had to be climbed up and attacked at a weak point. Every few rounds, the big monster would try a stomp or to shake off the hero. The players might fight on the backs of pegasi or some such. Just some thoughts...

At any rate... let the players sort it out, but be prepared for them to look for frost weapons
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
5Shilling, I'm getting better at improvising, but still need a bit of time to get my head around what to do it players select a path I'm not sure about. This titan adventure idea is much more complex than anything I've presented sofar, so I need some help planning and I'm getting a good response from people. If I have to improvise the whole adventure I'm sure I'll have problems.

bluespruce786, I like the rain cloud idea slowing the titan down. I'll nut out how talking to the titan might take place, although I don't think that will stop the titan, but it might slow it down. The titan is bigger than colossal and moves faster than the heroes, they will need mounts to keep up. I don't want the adventure to be long, I get bored and players get bored as you mention.

Sir_Joseph_the_Crowe, I'm not trying to create one path, I'm trying to get an idea what the players might try by asking you guys. I like the river diverting idea, that might stop the titan in his tracks. I was thinking a frost weapon might come into the equation, will have something prepared.

This has really helped flesh out some basic notes, thanks guys. If there's anything else that you can think of left me know. It should be a good few months before I get to test this all out.
My current adventure arc has been resolved and now it's time to reveal the mountain titan coming alive. I'm going to construct a list of possible adventure paths from this thread (basic notes), build a statblock for the titans heart and brain; maybe a rough skill challenge for the initial encounter.

If there is anything people think I might want or need to consider let me know.
Will there be orginized cults of titan cultist trying to stop them?
Is this such a world wide threat that former enemies or rivals would offer aid?

Do any of your gamer friends that are not playing in your game own any of the SCION game books from White Wolf? The champaign defining  meta-plot is the war between the primordial titans and the refined gods. That might give you some last minute ideas for cool battle feilds or strange challenges to over come. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Its no different from dealing with ogres.  Fight them. Befriend them (offer them watermelons or something).  Give them a mate.  ..or get them to go somewhere else.  Only a non-first-leveler is fool enough not to make allies out of powerful beings.  ..that is, except for gelatinous cubes..they really don't make good allies and hooking one up with a mate isn't as easy as you'd think, even with the monster dating bulliten boards that are so common in Greyhawk Ruins.

I'd convince it that going into the ocean would be a good idea because then it can be with its own kind and have self-fulfillment (i.e. creating its own island and/or future continent.)

jh

Gamer Chiropractor - Hafner Chiropractic 305 S. Kipling st,Suite C-2, Lakewood, Co 80226 hafnerchiropractic.com

It sounds like things are going realy well, very cool! I was talking with a youtube budy of mine about the differences between episode adventures, limited paths, sand boxes, and open world. The important DM skill for moving into sand boxing is distraction and delay. You must have a few scenarios ready that will fit righ into the game and that can be droped in anywhere, so if the PC's get off track you pull out one of these alternate scenarios and run that for the rest of the evening. This will give you time to flesh out any larger events or places that you may not be exactly ready for. The GM code phrase for you can do that but you wont get there tonight is "it sounds like a great idea, but you will have to do x, y, and z, before you can get there." That way the illusion of open sandbox is maintained but the party is still informed that you are not ready to run their grand plan tonight. 

Heres a ">LINK  to a few minutes of that convo if anyone wants to check it out. 
It sounds like things are going realy well, very cool! I was talking with a youtube budy of mine about the differences between episode adventures, limited paths, sand boxes, and open world. The important DM skill for moving into sand boxing is distraction and delay. You must have a few scenarios ready that will fit righ into the game and that can be droped in anywhere, so if the PC's get off track you pull out one of these alternate scenarios and run that for the rest of the evening. This will give you time to flesh out any larger events or places that you may not be exactly ready for. The GM code phrase for you can do that but you wont get there tonight is "it sounds like a great idea, but you will have to do x, y, and z, before you can get there." That way the illusion of open sandbox is maintained but the party is still informed that you are not ready to run their grand plan tonight. 

Heres a ">LINK  to a few minutes of that convo if anyone wants to check it out. 

Thanks for the link. I do use distraction, but like all things it doesn't always work.
Just gather 1,000 of these:

Decanter of Endless WaterLevel 7 Uncommon

When you open this always-dripping flask, it will release a steady stream of water, or a torrent that blasts away obstacles.

Wondrous Item        2,600 gp

Utility Power Encounter (Standard Action)

Effect: You cause the decanter to pour forth fresh or salt water in one of three volumes.

* Stream: 1 gallon.

* Fountain: 5 gallons in a 5-foot-long stream.

* Geyser: 30 gallons in a 20-foot-long stream.

In addition to filling a container of suitable volume, the fountain function of the decanter can be used to clear dirt or light debris from an area 2 squares on a side.
    The geyser function can be used to break a door or other object. If you do, you gain a +5 power bonus to the check. The area in a burst 1 centered on the door or object is difficult terrain until the end of the encounter. However, the geyser creates considerable pressure, and you must succeed on a DC 16 Strength check when you use it or be knocked prone.

Just gather 1,000 of these:

Decanter of Endless WaterLevel 7 Uncommon

When you open this always-dripping flask, it will release a steady stream of water, or a torrent that blasts away obstacles.

Wondrous Item        2,600 gp

Utility Power Encounter (Standard Action)

Effect: You cause the decanter to pour forth fresh or salt water in one of three volumes.

* Stream: 1 gallon.

* Fountain: 5 gallons in a 5-foot-long stream.

* Geyser: 30 gallons in a 20-foot-long stream.

In addition to filling a container of suitable volume, the fountain function of the decanter can be used to clear dirt or light debris from an area 2 squares on a side.
    The geyser function can be used to break a door or other object. If you do, you gain a +5 power bonus to the check. The area in a burst 1 centered on the door or object is difficult terrain until the end of the encounter. However, the geyser creates considerable pressure, and you must succeed on a DC 16 Strength check when you use it or be knocked prone.

LOL.
This is more a mental note to myself, so no need to respond.

The party has a flying ship, this should make it much easier to get onto a titanic elemental volcano, or make it much easier, then on horseback.

I've givien the group a magic frost weapon and they dis-enchanted it, ditch that option for defeating the elemental titan. Didn't really want them to have a magic item anyway for this story arc, so no worries.
I was thinking of making a few different complexity 1 skill challenges for some of the ideas suggested in this thread. How hard should I make the DC's?
You're welcome.

My question should have read more like this,

"Should I use a moderate or hard DC to leap onto a moving colossal volcanic mountain elemental, grab hold of it and climb it's body to the head?"
If the PC hits the hard DC, he or she gets what he wants or attempted to do.

If the PC hits between moderate and hard, he or she gets what he wants or attempted to do, but there's a complication. Throw that PC a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.

If the PC rolls below moderate, an interesting failure occurs.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

If the PC hits the hard DC, he or she gets what he wants or attempted to do.

If the PC hits between moderate and hard, he or she gets what he wants or attempted to do, but there's a complication. Throw that PC a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.

If the PC rolls below moderate, an interesting failure occurs.

That was simple, thanks. I'll build someting around that.
No problem. Outside of skill checks with specific tactical rules, this is how I handle every skill check. If you have enough fictional context built up around the action being taken, the stakes become very clear and so do potential outcomes for failure and middling success, both of which can take the situation or even the whole game in new, interesting directions.

I tend to break it down for the player and ask for buy-in as well before the roll so they know what to expect.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

I'm finding that player buy-in is very dependent on how interesting the skill challenge scene is and how I present it. I try not to use skill challenges for boring stuff, big and crazy seems to work best with my group. I also use props and images. I'm going to write all the fictional content before dealing with mechanics.